Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Small system update from the northern realm

I've had a couple of suggestions to do a quick update, and I do owe showing off the handiwork of one of our many talented members.

Since first getting together my Carver based system, OCCD, and related illnesses, have not eased their grip on my poor addled brain, so more gear keeps following me home.  :D

My system now shows off my serious addiction to SH by having 3 different forms of SH to choose from and play around with:

(1) The built-in SH (with Gundry mod) in my C1 preamp.

(2) A bog-standard C9 unit (my first Carver component, and how I wound up on this site).

(3) Finally, I've added a H-9AV unit.  

While not SH related, I do also have a P-L Auto-Correllator, but it is in need of some serious technical TLC before it finds it's way back into the system.

The biggest change was the addition of a pair of NHT 2.9 speakers, connected up via a custom-built Bad Wolf Audio, high power speaker switch.

Aside:  Yes, I know a bunch of you are freaking out about the idea of having 2 sets of speakers in place, and using a "GASP" switch unit to go between them.  Well, I happen to LIKE being able to choose which speakers I'm going to listen to on a whim, without having to move around heavy speakers, swap around the connectors, etc.  I also (Oh the HORROR) use tone controls, and will often listen to music that comes from (shudder) MP3 files, instead of all FLAC files, especially when I'm lazy and just want something to work out to.

So, now that I've alienated half the side and convinced the other half I'm totally nuts (like there was ever any doubt), here are some pictures, before I get flayed alive for missing them.

stereo.thumb.jpg.1ab9ac750af2211e717f7d44eff1a38e.jpg

Te main system hasn't really changed, but it has totally overflowed to the shelving unit on the right, beside the subwoofer.  The sub is  located off the floor to prevent bad cat events.

speakers.thumb.jpg.b47e757754f6f7d2b2c3709c765adce2.jpg

A quick look at the listening room - still in dire need of a heavy cleanup in there.  What can I say - adding gear takes priority.  

1300920174_SpkrandSelector.thumb.jpg.e3ada8c21da169c02b2fc6346fe06f67.jpg

Here's a look at one of the NHTs, with the "Awesome"  BWA Speaker switch.

Quick thought on the NHTs.  When I first got them, I wasn't really happy with the sound.  Not the fault of the speakers, I thought, but rather the fact that I had my EQ set up where I wanted it for the Mission speakers.  Well, I've been too lazy to do that, but now, after having cranked things up and run them for awhile, I'm finding they are sounding much better.  Still a bit harsh, but that is likely my EQ settings.  I'm starting to think that the folks who had these NHTs before me, never broke them in.  Bonus for Brian.

1688107308_BadWolfAudioSelector1.thumb.jpg.278e72988523fa398e9b7a7b484d95b3.jpg

Here's a close up view of the custom built Bad Wolf Audio high-power speaker switch unit, complete with the specialized High/Ultra Awesomeness switch.

Now, why would I need a special, High-power speaker switch, well...

842272462_Damn-Icanpeakthemeters.thumb.jpg.f3634db6baae86d4d593936f8151c8cc.jpg

Yes, those are the meters on my Carver M1.0t Mk.II Opt 2. amp, while I was enjoying Heart's Crazy on You a few nights back.  Any wonder why the NHT's are sounding more broken in?

All I can say here is "Damn, I didn't think I would ever come close to pegging the meters on that monster, but @#$% that sounded incredible!!!!!

Thanks for letting me babble on for a bit, and a huge Thanks to the "Awesome" Bad Wolf Audio, for a switch I can drive that amount of power through, safely.

• Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 10
  • Love this! 2
  • Community Admin
1 hour ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

Quick thought on the NHTs.  When I first got them, I wasn't really happy with the sound.  Not the fault of the speakers, I thought, but rather the fact that I had my EQ set up where I wanted it for the Mission speakers.  Well, I've been too lazy to do that, but now, after having cranked things up and run them for awhile, I'm finding they are sounding much better.  Still a bit harsh, but that is likely my EQ settings.  I'm starting to think that the folks who had these NHTs before me, never broke them in.  Bonus for Brian.

Have you tried the NHTs with the EQ bypassed? Another thing on the NHTs, speaker placement is important. The manual for the 3.3s states 3" from the back wall, parallel with each other. I had mine within an inch of perfect, and once I got their placement nailed down, the image is incredible. Wider than the speakers, and depth that I've not experienced before. 

• That Rocks 1

Thanks for the pics Brian! It’s looks good so far as a work in progress. Yes, I agree gear takes priority........grin. After looking at your setup again, I like the lights in the cabinets. The gear looks good with the lights shining on it......grin

Edited by Dadvw
10 hours ago, Sk1Bum said:

Have you tried the NHTs with the EQ bypassed? Another thing on the NHTs, speaker placement is important. The manual for the 3.3s states 3" from the back wall, parallel with each other. I had mine within an inch of perfect, and once I got their placement nailed down, the image is incredible. Wider than the speakers, and depth that I've not experienced before. 

You would think that hitting the EQ defeat would be the FIRST thing I'd do, wouldn't you.  Well, step 1, Brian, and Common Sense, don't co-exist in the same plain of reality.  :$  Yes. I've been meaning to, but no, I haven't actually done that.  Soon, if I can find that clue I've lost.  

I'd say "maybe tonight," but I've actually said that several dozen times, or more.  So ... maybe tonight.  :D

I do keep meaning to measure the EQ settings and make myself a template for the current ones, then I can feel free to meddle with them once again, and find a sweet spot for the NHTs, but that, my friends, is a Round-Tuit problem, and I'm fresh out of the round ones.  I have plenty of square and triangular ones, but no round ones - they're backordered for several months yet.

Look at the pictures - the room I have is never going to lend itself to proper speaker placement for anything short of headphones.  That's why I've never opted to try and get some Carver Amazing's in - there's just no place I can put them (and they would make absolutely wonderful scratching posts - a very serious consideration in my world).  So, no, as much as they want picky speaker placement, I get what I've got for location.  Now, I DID put wheels on the NHTs (yeah, I know - they should be spikes, but they're heavy enough that they are well set where I put them), so I can, at least adjust them a bit.

3 hours ago, Dadvw said:

Thanks for the pics Brian! It’s looks good so far as a work in progress. Yes, I agree gear takes priority........grin

Work in progress is right - I'm having a hard time trying to acquire a small tactical nuke to help with the cleanup and re-organisation chores.  The customs and duty are just crazy on them!  Long way to go, but hopefully going the right direction ... at least some of the time.

To be honest, I didn't expect to get any added speakers, but the NHT's appeared at a tolerable price, and my willpower immediately took a holiday and skipped town, so they followed me home.  9_9

• That Rocks 1

Thanks @oldtexasdog!  The cabinet is actually an old, real wood cabinet that I picked up off Craig's List for $25.  When I got my C1 & M1.0t I discovered, to my chagrin, that my current stereo cabinet was just a bit too narrow for the new gear.  The double doors are actually glass - the doors being a necessity to keep naughty paws out.

The lighting is actually very inexpensive LED strip lighting that I've installed, because I'm blind as a bat and wanted to be able to see things.  I just stuck a strip at the front, bottom of each shelf, and wired them all back to a single power adaptor.

I learned with my old receiver, that tended to run quite warm that an enclosed cabinet wasn't a good idea unless I wanted the cabinet to do double duty as an oven.  On this one, there are 2 x 6" computer fans attached to the back (which is removable for cable access), and these are both wired to a variable voltage AC/DC adaptor (they are available cheap on eBay).  There's a dial on that adaptor for the voltage, so I can just turn it up to where I can hear the fans and then back it off a touch.  Not high-tech, but it works to keep the whole setup at a comfortable temp.

Fortunately, the M1.0t runs amazingly cool for a beast of that power, as does much of Bob's gear.

• That Rocks 2

I vote for you to have a “fuck them all” button on your mental remote control. Seriously, it’s pretty sad when you have to put disclaimers on for people that wanna stick dental tools in you for doing it the way you want. Your gear your house your ears, fuck them all! Have fun, have more fun, and worry not about the crazies who want to pick on you. Bravo on your system forever. 
Carry on sir,

paul

• Haha 2
31 minutes ago, PMAT said:

I vote for you to have a “fuck them all” button on your mental remote control.

Gee, I thought that was what my Avatar already was?   

Do keep in mind that much of by babbling is largely tongue-in-cheek, and really just reflects people I've encountered elsewhere than amongst the great folks here!

No worries, @PMAT - some folks just occasionally have very strong opinions.  They aren't wrong, but I have to keep dealing with this weird state called "reality!"  :D

Again, the group, here, are FAR better than the average on The Net.  In fact a truly quantum leap beyond the norm out there, which is what makes it fun to be with all of you.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 2
45 minutes ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

Gee, I thought that was what my Avatar already was?   

Do keep in mind that much of by babbling is largely tongue-in-cheek, and really just reflects people I've encountered elsewhere than amongst the great folks here!

No worries, @PMAT - some folks just occasionally have very strong opinions.  They aren't wrong, but I have to keep dealing with this weird state called "reality!"  :D

Again, the group, here, are FAR better than the average on The Net.  In fact a truly quantum leap beyond the norm out there, which is what makes it fun to be with all of you.

We are all at different places on the Carver express train. And with all of us with different brands of gear, this hobby is about what sounds good to us, not about obtaining an “audiophile” status due to the gear we have or cabinets that houses them. The great thing to me is all of us here can express our likes and dislikes, experiences, disappointments, and share a love for Carver gear and the technology behind it. And, we can enjoy the sound and light shows from whatever piece we own. To me, that is what the core of this forum is about.......grin

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2
8 hours ago, Brian_at_HHH said:
18 hours ago, Sk1Bum said:

You would think that hitting the EQ defeat would be the FIRST thing I'd do, wouldn't you.  Well, step 1, Brian, and Common Sense, don't co-exist in the same plain of reality.  :$  Yes. I've been meaning to, but no, I haven't actually done that.  Soon, if I can find that clue I've lost.  

Okay, tried it .......  NOPE!!!!1   Sounded like I was listening to a 70's transistor AM radio through a toilet paper tube.  It may very well be the room (acoustics in there are likely a horror show), but it sounded dull, a bit boomy, and totally lifeless.  i don't think my settings for the Mission's are far off, but they need some tweaking for the NHT's.  If I make up templates for each I figure I can just pop whichever I want, under the EQ sliders and set them to the right places rally fast!  Great idea .......just, I'm not ... fast.  :D

To be honest, I should have disabled everything tonewise on the C1.  Oh well, tomorrow, or tomorrow's tomorrow, eh?

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1