Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why is the Carver Site on your list?


Recommended Posts

In my favorites, the Carver Site is #1. Wasn't always that way. In fact, before I started to read here much, I figured that this might just as well be 'The Biker Audio Site'. Yup, just good 'ol boys getting together for beer and music. The sites that I had been a part of before were different. Many thought that everything makes a difference in a system. Trouble was, they could have been at least partially right. I had started to read past those posts in search of something worth learning. 

 One day, I came to this site just to check things out, and there was somebody making a tangical? tracking tonearm! This should be entertaining. But it was much more. In fact, it was a quality effort, and I wanted to see more like that. Then sometime after that, some guy was making electrostatic speakers! C'mon now. Do you know how incredible an effort that would be? Again, another quality effort. I mean, some of these projects actually looked better than any factory job. 

 

 I knew that there was much more to learn here without the--- 'You couldn't be more wrong'--- attitude to go with it. Yes, I have experienced a tiny bit of attitude of that nature, but the reason for that was correct. I was dead wrong. Then, it was gone, and I learned from a few here a very valuable lesson > It is ok to fail.<  You might fail more than once. Keep trying until there is either no purpose for continued failure, or you finally succeed. 

 

 Sticking to what I know, is more satisfying for me, with a right or left turn every now and then. I am not made to do much more in the way that I already have, but instead have found a place for reference and guidance to do what I do better than before. It has been a rare experience. Thanks all who have had the patience to ask, why am I doing it that way? Sometimes, there isn't a decent answer, and that is the opportunity for improvement.

Edited by 4krow
correcting failure
  • Thank You 7
  • That Rocks 1
  • Love this! 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I came here because I was looking for someone who could repair my MXR150. I really missed the days when I could just jam out and everything worked and sounded like it did when I bought it. It was a long road that I traveled before I found this website and then Greg. 
I will never forget the day I talked to him and in the conversation, because of all the other dead end roads, I asked him, “How are you a certified Carver repair guy”. He said, “ By Bob himself “. Ok I said and traveled to his house to meet him.
While  waiting for my receiver to be done I really got to know what this website was all about. The people, the information, and everything else that makes this site so great. I have always been into some kind of electronics. House, car, appliances, and stereos. I could show you how to fix things but explaining how it worked was a challenge. With all of you that I have talked to and received help from, it is getting easier to explain and knowing the terminology along with it. 
That’s why this site is my #1. You all are awesome.😎

  • Thank You 8
  • Love this! 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I joined this site because my original ribbons failed in my Carver silver editions. After much searching on the internet I came across this site and posted that I needed ribbon repair.

Ed (Sea) responded and I sent him my ribbons for repair. I was very impressed with the quality of the repair and since then I've had him rebuild another set of 60-in ribbons.

I was also able to successfully bi amp my original silver editions by myself with some guidance from people on this site.

This site has a bunch of great people on it and a lot of valuable information.  Very glad I joined.

 

 

  • Thank You 5
  • That Rocks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Community Admin
18 minutes ago, 4krow said:

And now, now you've hurt ma feelings. My entire psychiatrics team will be bummed out man.... Hurtn' N' stuff. 

 

Damn. I guess I'll have to take the sensitivity training--again. 

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Came here looking for information on a pair of Pre-Amps that I had just purchased, hence my member name. Then I came back because of a very dead M-500 (it even had caught fire at some point too) the late Bill D revived it and another M-500(t) that I picked up later that same year. 
 

this is the only site that I always keep coming back to everyday (besides the USPS employee portal 😉) there is always good topics brewing and it’s nice to see new faces pop in once in a while too. 

  • Thank You 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

I came here by invitation from BillD.  I was asking him about the m-500t MKIi Modifications.  I came and stayed.  Still learning a lot everyday.  Good people and great knowledge in the minds of the folks who I encounter!

 

I plan to stay for a while longer!

 

barryG

  • Thank You 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

As it happens, tomorrow 1/19 is my 12th anniversary of joining this site. It's been so long I don't remember why anymore. That's actually not true but it's not a fun story.

  • Thank You 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

I found this site after buying an A-400x amp. I liked the amp so much that I searched for Carver enthusiasts.  I lurked for a long time at this site before becoming a member. This is the only forum where I took the leap to become a member, and I have not been disappointed.  

  • Thank You 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I stumbled upon the Carversite at the very beginning of COVID while just searching stereo equipment.  It was entirely out of boredom that I found you guys. I liked what I saw and really enjoyed the technical knowledge and banter. Then my MXR2000 started cutting out and fortunately I was in good hands getting it fixed. I enjoy all the various topics that appear and the brotherhood. I enjoy checking the site everyday because there is always something good going on.

  • Thank You 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost 9 years ago a good friend of mine asked if I had ever replaced the electrolytics in my M1.0t amps. To be honest, using the amps daily since the late 80's without a single issue made them more or less forgettable. They just always worked. Anyway his question and his research on AudioKarma led to me reaching out to Rich, inquiring about a MKII Opt 2 upgrade. Looking at that web site led me to this one. After reading Rich's write-up of the MKII process I decided I would do it myself.

 

Wayne and Dennis were especially inviting and helpful to this newbie. After a short rocky start Greg became a brother. RichP brings a special twist with his knowledge, POVs, etc. Mark is a friend that you pick up right where you left off - even months later. I realized this place has a special magnetism - something that draws you in and wraps you up. I've really enjoyed my time and the relationships made here.

 

Take a stroll down memory lane. I know I'm missing a bunch of names but these come to mind when I reflect on my interactions on this site:

 

Steve Ford, Snow, staticvar, Weitrhino, galaxyoilcan, Jazzman, KVE777, oldtexasdog, Bluesman57, Blues Pwr, BarryG, RodH, RPA-1Man, sea, TN Rabbit, Papajoe, PDR, jvandyke, Reese, Zoom, Balok, RobertR, Kingman, Sandford Lindstrom, madmike46, Maddmaster, xavionics, CT-Seven, jldeni, AR9Jim, RobertG, mbskeam, winterluver, Retriever, trav0810, Martin1970, Zumbini, helicopterpilotdoug, SteveK, Circuits And Concepts, Bean, schultdw, elgrau - you guys remember when these were the names that were in the active posting list?

 

We have all seen members come and go, drop in and out, etc. I myself have not been as involved as I used to be. Life circumstances have dictated I focus elsewhere at times but I always feel like this place is home.

 

I love this big-ass dysfunctional family !!!

  • Thank You 5
  • Love this! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, B-Man said:

Take a stroll down memory lane. I know I'm missing a bunch of names but these come to mind when I reflect on my interactions on this site:

 

Steve Ford, Snow, staticvar, Weitrhino, galaxyoilcan, Jazzman, KVE777, oldtexasdog, Bluesman57, Blues Pwr, BarryG, RodH, RPA-1Man, sea, TN Rabbit, Papajoe, PDR, jvandyke, Reese, Zoom, Balok, RobertR, Kingman, Sandford Lindstrom, madmike46, Maddmaster, xavionics, CT-Seven, jldeni, AR9Jim, RobertG, mbskeam, winterluver, Retriever, trav0810, Martin1970, Zumbini, helicopterpilotdoug, SteveK, Circuits And Concepts, Bean, schultdw, elgrau - you guys remember when these were the names that were in the active posting list?

 

That is a memory lane, for sure.  

 

I think back when I joined (officially 7 years ago - lurker for another 5 years before that) and it was people like this that made a difference..., I'm nothing special (hell, I only have one follower ! LoL) but being an ear to many, and getting help from many, has been what keeps me here.  Key examples @fill35U helped me rebuild a variac and gave me a brand-new coil for it - fun project. @zumbini gutted a DTL-200 for buttons and gave them to me.  I'm no where near the level of braintrust of others here, and I've hesitated to post a lot of my work/threads, but there are a few.  Those initial acts of grace and generosity showed what kind of people the site attracted..., There is, of course, diversity - content that spans "jalopnik" to "worthless information" which further ensures the DNA pool doesn't sour.

 

And, of course, the giving of Karma.  Hard to find that anywhere these days with so much "me first" going on in the world.

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I stumbled on this site a number of years after I had repaired my failed M-1.5t.  After the repair it was working fairly well and sounded great, but it exhibited a problem with the right channel always showing a significantly higher level than the left channel.  So I posted some pics of the crude repair I had completed, years before, and had several posts in response.  Retreiver nailed it for me with his post addressing  exactly the problem I was experiencing.  With his help, I found faulty open resistors on the right channel amp card and effected it's repair.  It's been playing perfectly for me ever since.

 

I'm so grateful I found you generous, wonderful guys here and come here often to see what others are doing with their equipment.  I also very much enjoy seeing and reading about Greg's latest innovations at Nelion and look forward to his posted about them.  I'm absolutely certain his repairs & upgrades will keep this fabulous old gear working as well as, if not better than, when new.  Also, the Karma generosity here is simply stunning and I always enjoy reading about them as well.

 

 

  • Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, weitrhino said:

As it happens, tomorrow 1/19 is my 12th anniversary of joining this site. It's been so long I don't remember why anymore. That's actually not true but it's not a fun story.

Not many of us from the first year of CS that are still active!

 

Im glad for the many friends I have met here, I really enjoy the small gatherings of local members as well.

 

barry

  • Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, B-Man said:

Almost 9 years ago a good friend of mine asked if I had ever replaced the electrolytics in my M1.0t amps. To be honest, using the amps daily since the late 80's without a single issue made them more or less forgettable. They just always worked. Anyway his question and his research on AudioKarma led to me reaching out to Rich, inquiring about a MKII Opt 2 upgrade. Looking at that web site led me to this one. After reading Rich's write-up of the MKII process I decided I would do it myself.

 

Wayne and Dennis were especially inviting and helpful to this newbie. After a short rocky start Greg became a brother. RichP brings a special twist with his knowledge, POVs, etc. Mark is a friend that you pick up right where you left off - even months later. I realized this place has a special magnetism - something that draws you in and wraps you up. I've really enjoyed my time and the relationships made here.

 

Take a stroll down memory lane. I know I'm missing a bunch of names but these come to mind when I reflect on my interactions on this site:

 

Steve Ford, Snow, staticvar, Weitrhino, galaxyoilcan, Jazzman, KVE777, oldtexasdog, Bluesman57, Blues Pwr, BarryG, RodH, RPA-1Man, sea, TN Rabbit, Papajoe, PDR, jvandyke, Reese, Zoom, Balok, RobertR, Kingman, Sandford Lindstrom, madmike46, Maddmaster, xavionics, CT-Seven, jldeni, AR9Jim, RobertG, mbskeam, winterluver, Retriever, trav0810, Martin1970, Zumbini, helicopterpilotdoug, SteveK, Circuits And Concepts, Bean, schultdw, elgrau - you guys remember when these were the names that were in the active posting list?

 

We have all seen members come and go, drop in and out, etc. I myself have not been as involved as I used to be. Life circumstances have dictated I focus elsewhere at times but I always feel like this place is home.

 

I love this big-ass dysfunctional family !!!

I remember the rough time when SteveFord and Snow quit.  I remember thinking that this place would never be the same.  I knew that new people would join, but I did not think it would be as good as it was, and I was actually a bit resentful of new folks for a while back then.  As time went on, I realized that none of the new folks would replace my old friends, but that was ok - the new folks would become my new friends.  Not better, not worse - just new.  It’s fair to say that I’m closer to some of the newer members than I ever was with my old friends. 
 

I sincerely hope to meet more of you face-to-face in the coming year...

  • Thank You 2
  • Love this! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

I stumbled upon this site in search of a place to repair my C1 and M1.5t. Initially I just bookmark it and continued my search. After sending my equipment off to be repaired I came back for a better look.  Lurked for about a week or so and after the intimidation wore off, I joined.

  • Thank You 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Halwelcome to the carver site!  There are lots of good people snd great information on this site.  Kick off your shoes, grab your favorite beverage and relax while you browse.  
 

enjoy your stay!

 

  • Thank You 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, let’s see...

 

I joined way back in Oct 2009.

My m1.0t and c-1 I had since new had been giving me an occasional issue.

My research brought me here, and a few other places. 
This is the place I stayed.

 

Folks have come and folks have gone, but the underlying atmosphere of help and sharing have, in my observation, remained.

 

The few folks I’ve met in person through this site have become close personal friends.

 

hopefully, soon, I’ll get to Carverfest to meet more of the good folks here, in person.

 

 

  • Thank You 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, xavionics said:

Hmm, let’s see...

 

I joined way back in Oct 2009.

 

 

I also joined in October 2009.

carverfest is a lot of fun, I have met many from this site! Not many of us old timers left!

barry

  • Thank You 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't remember exactly when I joined, but I know WHY. C-9 work baby. Took years to get through to me what was needed, and what was not. Even now, I do way more than needed. My therapist says it's ok.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

July 2009, I joined previously owning a M1.5t and CT17 looking for other Carver owners.  Then I saw and read Rich P's mkII M1.0t and M500t upgrade offers. The $50 buy back got my attention. My thoughts were nothing can be that great that he'd offer a buy back and give me $50 trying . Needless to say one M500t mkII and four M1.0t mkII opt002's later I'm still here and loving them all.

This was my system back when I joined:

 

Old Rack System.jpg

OldSYSBigScreen.jpg

Edited by Maddmaster
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...