Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-09 demo roadshow

Guest RodH

I just convinced Grant Fidelity to issue me a TubeDAC-09 at a significantly reduced price so that I could send it off on a roadshow to Carversite members for evaluation.

External DAC, tube buffer, headphone amp & pre-amp in one neat little package.

Usual roadshow rules apply, 200 post minimum, pay the freight to the next participant, post your impressions.

It's got a fully warrantee, I just ask that you pack it up snugly for the trips ahead of it.

Peck555 got me started on this with a few questions about mine, so he's getting it first.

Picture of my unit with the Parasound phono pre I use with it:

20100622174059743.jpg
  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to try this out! I just got my MKII tube buffer and am switching tubes out to see which I like best. So far, the long-black plate RCA is the best, I heard almost no difference with the Telefunken. I can offer a detailed comparison with the 490t, real tube gear and the MKII. Plus I am close to PECK555, and he got my Soundstream first, so it might be fitting for me to get in early on a tube buffer. Also, I have several Sony ES decks with digital out to try the DAC with. I feel, IMHO, I can give some significant feedback on this unit. I hope to be high on this list. Too bad I can't sub vintage tubes in it without rewiring...

Bill, FYI - it does not support bitrates above 96khz - as far as I know. It's the only complaint I've heard about this model....
But your on the list!
I can ask Ian Grant for some clarification on the USB capabilities.
OK:
USB chip is used to transfer data only, decoding is at 24 bit.Supports sampling frequency of 32k, 44k, 48k, 88k and 96kHz (automatic - not manually selectable)

Maybe, if you have one of these beauties:

"Just had my Seabreeze unit (Motorola mechanism) completely rebuilt by Tim de Paravicini in England. Did his famous custom head lapping and re-profiled the gaps, installed a bespoke playback equalization circuit with point-to-point wiring (which we all know is superior to circuit boards) and designed a new tube output stage operating in class A (with EZ to open inspection plate using Dzus fasteners for high speed tube rolling). He also upgraded the track change solenoid with silver wired coil and installed a sorbathane membrane under the mounting plate and phosphor bronze bushings in the head elevator mechanism, added an upgraded high current power supply with pure silver wire potted-in-epoxy power transformer, Cutler-Hammer relays, and Vishay soft recovery diodes. I also had him build a new wood cabinet for it. He had saved a nice solid oak door from the men's room at Abbey Road studios (surplus from the last renovations) and had his master millwright fashion a solid section from the bottom kick panel into a lovely new sleeve. I just received it back this week and have only played half a dozen tapes in it. Quite frankly I don't hear any difference from before but it really needs to break in for a couple of hundred hours."
Yes (sort of) and yes.

Ian Grant and his partner Rachel originally imported 'high-end' audio gear from China (don't start!!!) and are now having gear built to their specifications. Based out of Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

I have several Grant pieces - the service has always been fantastic and Ian or Rachel will respond to just about any questions within a couple of hours by e-mail or by phone.
Ian gets a bit of flack from some self proclaimed experts of all things audio here in Canada - much like some groups have a hate on for our man Mr. Carver. His stuff is well priced, generally performs well above it's price point and in my experience has been very reliable.

No, I don't work for him!

How did I get the deal? I e-mailed Rachel, and within 15 minutes had a discount offer I couldn't refuse. I simply explained that I wanted another unit for a pass-around with some fellow audio fans I have connection with in the USA.
Maybe, if you have one of these beauties:

"Just had my Seabreeze unit (Motorola mechanism) completely rebuilt by Tim de Paravicini in England. Did his famous custom head lapping and re-profiled the gaps, installed a bespoke playback equalization circuit with point-to-point wiring (which we all know is superior to circuit boards) and designed a new tube output stage operating in class A (with EZ to open inspection plate using Dzus fasteners for high speed tube rolling). He also upgraded the track change solenoid with silver wired coil and installed a sorbathane membrane under the mounting plate and phosphor bronze bushings in the head elevator mechanism, added an upgraded high current power supply with pure silver wire potted-in-epoxy power transformer, Cutler-Hammer relays, and Vishay soft recovery diodes. I also had him build a new wood cabinet for it. He had saved a nice solid oak door from the men's room at Abbey Road studios (surplus from the last renovations) and had his master millwright fashion a solid section from the bottom kick panel into a lovely new sleeve. I just received it back this week and have only played half a dozen tapes in it. Quite frankly I don't hear any difference from before but it really needs to break in for a couple of hundred hours."

That's because it doesn't have an IEC socket and a hospital grade cord connected to a dedicated circuit to a nuclear power plant happy0009.gif

I'd like to take it for a spin. It will be interesting to see what it can do with the digital output from a laptop or from a multidisc player into my system. Just need to be down the list because the next few weeks are fairly busy for me. But if it comes - I will play!

Thanks!
But of course!

I might send my original unit out to the Canadian members at the same time as my new demo unit heads south of the border.

Going to wait until the weekend to see who is in, then I'll make a 'route map' for the unit(s) and get things moving on Monday.

Just remember gents, this is a $300 do-all unit - don't expect miracles. What I hope you all experience is how much you CAN get for $300.
Hey Rod, I too am a Grant Fidelity fan.......I have the A-88 that I am very pleased with, a couple of their power cords that are

quality built, and bought my father in law one if their tube buffers for x-mass a while back. He really likes it.

I agree that the Grants are a class act and they always seem to have time to answer any question I have.

For the $225 it seems a good deal, was looking at it the other day......hats off to you for offering it up eusa_clap.gif

It seems to be a long list your getting.......I'll keep my on it and perhaps give it a try on the way back to the homeland. 
I'm going to put both units out for a while - my original can circulate with us Canadians - you as well PDR - and the new unit is going south of the border for what is beginning to look like an extended tour.

As long as I have one back for mid to late September or so, it's not an issue.
Ok - here's the current plan:

Unit # 1 is going to:

Peck555

KVE777

Sereo_dog

HarryFan

BillD

dokblues

To move things along a little faster, Unit # 2:

MadMike46

PDR

jdleni

Zumbini

RichP

Still waiting on Unit 1 to arrive - it will be here Monday, both units will head out on Tuesday.

Enjoy!
If I were you Rod, I'd be more worried about BillD. emwink.gif

Speaking of BillD, he's sending me his DIY tube buffer so I can build a case for it and the power supply.
20100627075150901.jpg 
I'd like to work it out so I have your road show unit at the same time for a side by side.
When I'm done I can send both units to BillD. Does that work for everyone?