Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

OK, I'm slow to do this..., but after 7+ years, I suppose I'm getting closer to things settling down...

(Not Really - OCCD will never allow it Hah!).

Just upgraded my wife's system, today.  

I exchanged a couple of PM's with Mark @Daddyjt about a pair of NHT's that I came across on CL last week..., and with his guidance, I picked these up.  (THanks Mark !)  My wife's system was always a bit anemic in the speaker area..., had a pair of fairly new-tech Polk bookshelf speakers, somewhat opportunistic, somewhat because of budget, and somewhat because they were convenient.  Replaced those with a pair of NHT 2.5i speakers I drove 90 minutes to listen to this morning before throwing down the cash.

I know now what all of you with the NHT bug have been saying... These are not the BAD BOYS that some have - 2.9, nor are they the BIG BOYS - 3.3 models..., but for the purposes of the stereo my wife has on at all times when not in her home office..., (really, she plays music more than I do, because she is home more).  The system is a 7.2 HT system with some nice little Boston speakers for the center (I built a bracket under the pull-down Flat Screen mount to allow it to ride up and down with the screen), L-R Front and Rear mounted to the walls, up high (not in the picture below).  There is a basic sub, nothing special, in the corner..., may not be needed with the NHTs, I have to experiment.

For now, this is a huge step up, and it's in the class my wife can use, in a room that she "owns"..., not too big, just right, and works off the following gear:

• Marantz 5014 7.2 AV Receiver - Audyssey equipped - bought new.
  • OPPO 103 I picked up from @kve777
  • Carver m4.0t refreshed by @Nahash5150
  • Channel Master Android TV broadcast controller (no cable TV in my house!)
  • NHT 2.5i Main L&R driven by the Carver m4.0t
  • Boston Acoustics center, L&R surrounds and L&R rears driven by the shared amp in the Marantz.

988648335_DenStereoNHT2_5i.thumb.jpg.10f11aec37869b9b43a65d727afe218c.jpg

Furniture placement is owned by the minister of sex and finance.

Speakers on the floor on the left are the polk bookshelves that have bowed out to the NHTs.

• Thank You 5
  • That Rocks 5
  • Love this! 1
  • Haha 3

Congrats Andrew - for picking up the speakers AND for having a wife that enjoys quality audio!:-). That’s a very nice looking system - I look forward to hearing your impression of the new speakers...

BTW, I think I have that very same ottoman - it’s in my sons room now, but we’ve had it for years (since my daughter was small enough to keep toys in it in the living room)!

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2
5 hours ago, AndrewJohn said:

You have one of those too? 😉  Mine nixed the TV above the fireplace idea. Impractical, yet aesthetically pleasing.  I like your wainscotting and matted pictures. (And of course the 2.5is)

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1
5 hours ago, AndrewJohn said:

OK, I'm slow to do this..., but after 7+ years, I suppose I'm getting closer to things settling down...

(Not Really - OCCD will never allow it Hah!).

Just upgraded my wife's system, today.  

I exchanged a couple of PM's with Mark @Daddyjt about a pair of NHT's that I came across on CL last week..., and with his guidance, I picked these up.  (THanks Mark !)  My wife's system was always a bit anemic in the speaker area..., had a pair of fairly new-tech Polk bookshelf speakers, somewhat opportunistic, somewhat because of budget, and somewhat because they were convenient.  Replaced those with a pair of NHT 2.5i speakers I drove 90 minutes to listen to this morning before throwing down the cash.

I know now what all of you with the NHT bug have been saying... These are not the BAD BOYS that some have - 2.9, nor are they the BIG BOYS - 3.3 models..., but for the purposes of the stereo my wife has on at all times when not in her home office..., (really, she plays music more than I do, because she is home more).  The system is a 7.2 HT system with some nice little Boston speakers for the center (I built a bracket under the pull-down Flat Screen mount to allow it to ride up and down with the screen), L-R Front and Rear mounted to the walls, up high (not in the picture below).  There is a basic sub, nothing special, in the corner..., may not be needed with the NHTs, I have to experiment.

For now, this is a huge step up, and it's in the class my wife can use, in a room that she "owns"..., not too big, just right, and works off the following gear:

• Marantz 5014 7.2 AV Receiver - Audyssey equipped - bought new.
  • OPPO 103 I picked up from @kve777
  • Carver m4.0t refreshed by @Nahash5150
  • Channel Master Android TV broadcast controller (no cable TV in my house!)
  • NHT 2.5i Main L&R driven by the Carver m4.0t
  • Boston Acoustics center, L&R surrounds and L&R rears driven by the shared amp in the Marantz.

• Thank You 2
15 hours ago, Daddyjt said:

BTW, I think I have that very same ottoman

Thank you, Mark. That ottoman is very handy..., keeps the throw-blankets handy, for those old age temp swings.

15 hours ago, PMAT said:

Nice!!!! I thought you lived in a barn for some reason. Nice digs

Thank you Paul, "Could well be  a "Barn"... LoL..., actually a normal house with southern exposure.

Like a "boat is a hole in the water that you dump money into," this house is just another "pit that we dump money into..."

11 hours ago, PhilDent said:

You have one of those too? 😉

35 years.  The Minister has saved me from myself a few times.

11 hours ago, PhilDent said:

Mine nixed the TV above the fireplace idea. Impractical, yet aesthetically pleasing.

I was a bit apprehensive about it..., but I have to say, I really like it, so does the other half.  It turns out, it's actually quite practical, fits many purposes, and even allows for a fire.

• That Rocks 1
  • Love this! 1

Thinking a bit more and sharing a bit more on the flat screen mounted above the Mantle...., some thoughts for @PhilDent or anyone.

The biggest issue for me was how to get power and other wiring up there with a brick and masonry monolith that the original house did not originally design in.  I jumped in, and installed the fixture, over-sized (can handle a 72" at 120lbs.  The first two or three times raising and lowering it, is a bit scary..., there's an adjustable spring and gas-shock assist system that makes it very easy - one finger can raise and lower, and stops anywhere along the travel arc.  My goal was to get the TV off the floor, and recover the floor space in a den..., (makes for a more open design/feel, and room for the Christmas Tree in season, as well as more chairs, if entertaining or the kids and their significant other are in town).

For hiding the wires, I built that white "apron" you see along each side, and across the top, fitting it around the crown-molding of the mantle.  I've got a little caulk and painting to finish up.  But, it floats about 1.5" forward away from the wall, and has little retaining brackets to keep the wires tucked behind it.  Before I put that in, there were several wires going up the left side of the brick and across the top of the mantle.  It hides the speaker wire going over the top of the mantle and down on the right connecting to the right Main (NHT), as well as a coax from the Channel Master, an Ethernet to the smart TV (have much of that feature turned off), 120v power supply extension cord to the TV, a digital HDMI cable to support two-way communication back to the Marantz, and a center-channel speaker cable..., a total "rats nest" if not hidden behind that faux apron.

For positioning, if we have company, gathering in that space, which is open and connected with the Kitchen we have the TV in the "up" position, so you can watch a football game over everyone's  head, standing in the room.   In the up position, it's cool enough to even have a fire going in the fire place..., that's a gas log set-up which is pretty handy.

1486202558_DenStereoTVUp.thumb.jpg.937ee7299cbd201b6475c260973cfb7c.jpg

I've actually found that I like this over-mantle mount way more than I originally thought I would..., It took a little engineering to get it all attached, hook up the wiring, hide everything for aesthetics..., but the anchors into the masonry are not coming down..., until I move - unless the new buyer wants (pays) me to leave it in (and signs off liability if his TV falls !)  Hah!

Here's a couple more shots of the mechanism (it also swivel's ~20 degrees left and right).  You can also see part of the wire-hiding apron from this angle - but from out in the room, you can't see it, as you are looking straight-on.  (still need to paint...)

809297608_DenStereoTVMechanism.thumb.jpg.15adf8b05b2da59782d21c771ecbc238.jpg

Here's my Center Speaker bracket - there are two 1/4" bolts that screw into the threaded mounts on the back of the Boston Center channel speaker, through that scrap of black painted plywood attached to the bracket pull-down handles (sloppy paint there  on the side no one can see).  from the front, the center channel appears to "float" under the screen.

1154415834_DenStereoCenterSpeaker.thumb.jpg.0e05da192526ac459eef3e174085181b.jpg

Here's a view of the cable apron (or should I call it a faux cable tray?  😉 ) I have some painting to do..., but this shows how it hides the cables.  Again, you have to get right up to the wall, lean over the stereo rack and NHT speakers, to see the cabling.

549752891_DenStereocableapron.thumb.jpg.20562d9bde43de8db6c0eba38229cf0e.jpg

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Thank You 6
  • That Rocks 4
  • Love this! 1
  • 3 weeks later...