Want C 16 or C 19 Preamp - Found

#1: I have the tone switch is pushed in. Bass adjusts, treble no. #2: I paid a pretty penny

for refurbing & GODWAFUL assoc. shipping fees! The damn things should function! I

need spend more time sorting/testing things out. “Sorry Sold” … the C 19? Huh?

42 minutes ago, David brinkmeyer said:

#1: I have the tone switch is pushed in. Bass adjusts, treble no. #2: I paid a pretty penny

for refurbing & GODWAFUL assoc. shipping fees! The damn things should function! I

need spend more time sorting/testing things out. “Sorry Sold” … the C 19? Huh?

David, I definitely understand your frustration, but if the person that did the refurb for you is a member here, please take this to private message. 

Just guessing on Kevin's comment here, but he had a C19 for sale, and he may have just posted to the wrong thread.

Sk1Bum: Thank you. Troubleshooting this system @ my age is challenging. Having

had receivers all my life & moving to all separate components, much less TWO

preamps?  Perhaps I bit off more than I can chew. I’ll  keep @ it. I moved to rural

Mo. 5 yrs. ago. ALPHA-TECH, my former audio repair “angels”, are two hours away.

One way (drive time). They’ve had so many components (audio) destroyed in

shipment in the recent past they demand you drive your stuff  into St. Louis …

drive back & pick it up. There has to be a way I can connect this stuff by myself.

You will get all kinds of advice on this popping thing. So far, I see that you have isolated it to the new component. In my own experience, very loud popping like what you have described came from a power amplifier with a defective IC in the input. It gave no warning of any kind, and just 'went off' when it dam well pleased. I suspect at least as serious of a malfunction is what your dealing with as well. I DON'T think that a dirty pot or something like that is the issue here. Yes, they can and do make noise, popping included, but what you are describing is a startling explosive event. 

Wish that I had some advice about the other preamp and it's tone control problem. I will think on it awhile. 

Will have to have some in depth trouble shooting I'm afraid.

I serviced both units.

the c-19 belonged to another member of the site who sent it in for servicing.

the preamplifier passed tests on the test equipment then was put into an audio system and monitored for a day. 
the day of shipping it was tested that morning again before it left. 

unfortunately I dont have crystal ball to see what happened to the unit between the time it left and the time it arrived.

obviously something is amiss in the unit and needs to be looked at unfortunately. Parts labor and return shipping cost are all included in your 3 year warranty. Shipping it back is small price to pay…I wish the unit would have arrived in the same condition as it left but it didn’t 

A simple phone call voicemail saying ray this pos c-19 not working correctly need to send back woulda sufficed. 

as far as the c-16 the same service and testing was done to several other members here.  Which no one has any complaints. 
now the treble gain is very subtle most times you have to push in 8khz switch to see a sizeable difference

however my theory is you said the c-16 sounds like shit and treble has no gain, what I’m fearing is that pop was a square wave and tweeters don’t like them at all. I would verify your tweeters are still working …

im sorry this didn’t go as planned unfortunately here we are. 
If you feel cost is too high to ship here nellion audio is in Michigan which much closer then California. 
you can send it to Greg and I’ll cover the repair cost.  Either way the choice is yours. 

Ray 

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2

I am far, FAR from blaming you Ray! These things are a hella of a learning curve for me.

You did a a SUPERB  job of packaging of all three components. As such I can’t feature how

they could have suffered any shipping damage. I was planning on switching/swapping 

speakers to determine if it’s my speakers & NOT the preamp. And using headphones.

Each to test treble adjustment. Thanks for the 8khz switch tip. My unfamiliarity w/all

these new-to-me hi-end components is where the problem is. Not your services Ray. 
I have a lotta learning & testing ahead of me. I’m frankly scared to ship anything until

that’s done. I still remember how UPS almost destroyed the amp in shipment! Thx.

• Thank You 3

9 hours ago, David brinkmeyer said:

these new-to-me hi-end components is where the problem is

The power amplifier should be turned on last and turned off first.

Some of my components can take this and others can't so I guess it's hit or miss.

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Yamacarver said:

Some of my components can take this and others can't so I guess it's hit or miss.

And make sure that volume is at ZERO when turning on, off, switching inputs. 

• Thank You 2

I am chuckling to myself, as I forget to do these very things in my system every now and then, and an annoying pop occurs.

>>>>>>That annoying pop is not what is being described here. If it is as you describe about this popping, with no notice, BIG popping TIMES 10, then yes, stop right there and get it to a shop or figure out how to stop this from happening (if that is even possible). 

• Thank You 2

2 hours ago, Yamacarver said:

I use an Adcom ACE-515 to control this. It powers on Amps last, and powers the amps off first.  I found out about this device from postings on this site.

I read a recent post from @kve777 that on the C-19 you need to turn off the speakers when you change the gain. IIRC its a common issue with this preamp.

• Thank You 2

I read a recent post from @kve777 that on the C-19 you need to turn off the speakers when you change the gain. IIRC its a common issue with this preamp.

I too sometime forget about doing that.  I also do it when cleaning my need on my needle on the TT.  That tends to make a hellacious noise when everything is on and pumping.  I also admit to being lazy and not turning off the speakers when I turn the gain control.  I have been in the habit though to turn the gain control (depending on the source I am going to use) before I even power the amp up in the first place!  It is frustrating, but keep at it.  You will get there soon.  I know it can be frustrating.  The guys (and gals) here will head you in the right direction.