Want C 16 or C 19 Preamp - Found

I need/want a C 16 and/or C 19 preamp. I’m radically upgrading

from my (Carver) 6260 receiver. I would wish to have the pre

amp faceplates near new.  If anyone has any interest in the

6260 let me know. I bought it new. Nice box. Instructions &

remote. Sourcing the preamps is my prime interest right now.

• Thank You 3

Hello David, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help.

Here's a link to a C19 on ebay, but it has a discolored faceplate:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CARVER-C19-PREAMPLIFIER/293981298952

The C19 comes up occasionally, but not often. I don't follow C16s, so I can't be of any help there. Maybe someone else will have a lead on one of them or a prettier C19.

Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

• Thank You 1

10 hours ago, David brinkmeyer said:

TFM 35 I’ve sent off to be Bill D upgraded.

David, the BillD upgrade is for a preamplifier, C-1 or C-11.

• Thank You 1

It took me 6 months to find my C-16.

As soon as I got it, I sent it to Nelion for a complete service.

They don't show up often, so you need to grab one when you see it.

Are you aware that the C-6 is identical to the C-16 except for the color of the faceplate? When I opened up my C-16, I noticed that the mainboard is stenciled C-6. 

C-1's and C-11's are also great preamps. You can get faceplates for these to change the color (either anthracite or black).  

Pricing is dynamic, my guess on price for units in nice or better condition are:

C-1 : $250 to $350

C-6 : $350 to $450

C-11 : $350 to $450

C-16 : $500 to $900

C-19 : $1200 to $2000

When I was looking, I bid on one at $1,000. I didn't get it, it sold for $1,100. However; one month later I found a nicer unit for $600. 

Guys - thoughts on pricing - think I'm off base?

I troll eBay alot, but again these units don't show up often and it depends who you're in competition with.

Good luck on your search!

Edited by Will Meyer
  • Thank You 3

I have both!  My C-16 was an eBay purchase over 12 years ago.  Paid over $300 for it (with shipping), so, Will Meyer. I don't think your prices aren't off base. 

Now I've been working on a C-19 that I acquired from someone I know at a reasonable price, but have had to do a bit of work to get it where it is at.  So it depends on what you are looking for as to how much you will have to pay!  A unit that is in great shape and can sing right out of the gate, C-16 around $450 to $550; C-19 around $1,100 to $1,500.  If you are willing to settle for one that is not museum quality or might need some TLC, take a few hundred off the price for the C-19.  A hundred or so less for the C-16. 

Having both units, I have to say it is a toss up for the most part.  Both are incredible units, but I have to admit, I've been wanting the -C19 ever since I heard one 15 years ago, but could never afford one.  Now that I have been able to learn enough (to be dangerous), my skills are such that I felt like I could take on a unit that needed some TLC.  And now that I've been working on it (almost ready to go) I have to admit, the C-19 wins out in my mind.  Others feel differently!  The C1-9 is going to take the place of my trusty C-16 in the main setup and the C-16 will move to my bedroom setup!

Sorry for the ramble.

Welcome aboard.  There is no turning back now!

Neil

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Those prices are “in line” w/what my tech told me.  Plus what he told me re: finding

a C 16 or C 19: “It’ s gonna take awhile”. Outta curiosity what years were they made?
Late ‘80s? Oh yeah, I meant to say sent amp off for re-cap, etc. Not Bill D. upgrade.

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hunt over. System complete. Re-furbed C 16 arrived yesterday. Excellent faceplate,

original owners manual. $650. Re-furbed C 19 came last week. MInimal magenta 

on the faceplate which C 19s are infamous for. Repro manual. $1K. They’ll control

re-furbed TFM 35, TX 2 tuner, TL 3200 CD & SONY BDP S1000ES blu-ray DVD player.

• That Rocks 5

• The title was changed to Want C 16 or C 19 Preamp - Found
  • Community Admin
On 6/24/2021 at 7:04 AM, David brinkmeyer said:

Hunt over. System complete. Re-furbed C 16 arrived yesterday. Excellent faceplate,

original owners manual. $650. Re-furbed C 19 came last week. MInimal magenta 

on the faceplate which C 19s are infamous for. Repro manual. $1K. They’ll control

re-furbed TFM 35, TX 2 tuner, TL 3200 CD & SONY BDP S1000ES blu-ray DVD player.

Do Tell, ... how did you come upon these?  CL, Ebay, FB Marketplace..., garage sale..., 

There has to be a story or two in there !!!

Great to see you have collected your dream system.  

Do post a picture or two, when you have it set  up...

Love that term "minimal magenta."  My C-19 has that pantone too ! LoL 😉 

What speakers?

• Thank You 1

Speakers: KLH Model 12s & Model 5s. I have 2 pair of Model 17s I might connect.

C 16 was off E-Bay. Tech I sent it to for refurb had a C 19 he had just refurbed

for a customer, customer wanted him to sell it for him. Why the, what I think

is a good price for a refurbed C 19: $1K. I tried to upload a pic. File too large.

I’m still hooking things up. I’ve got a HORRIBLE, LOUD intermittent speaker

POWWWW - POP w/the C 19 hooked up.  Happens w/o touching any dials,

no household appliances operating. Happens w/tuner, CD, etc. I mean it is

FRIGGIN LOUD! Afraid I’ll blow up one of the KLHs!!! Any help appreciated.

• Thank You 2

35 minutes ago, David brinkmeyer said:

I tried to upload a pic. File too large.

I use paint.net for many things photo related. It's freeware, pretty straightforward, and I think several here use it.

https://www.getpaint.net/

• Thank You 1

• Community Admin
On 6/25/2021 at 8:04 AM, David brinkmeyer said:

I’ve got a HORRIBLE, LOUD intermittent speaker

POWWWW - POP w/the C 19 hooked up.

Are you sure it is the C-19, and not the amp?  

I dunno, but the symptoms sound (to me, and I'm no Tech...) like a relay in the amp.  

Others more savvy than I can pipe in w/r/t the C-19 making a Pop.  My C19 doesn't do that.

• Thank You 1

David 

there should be no popping of any kind 

either there’s an issue or something is hooked up wrong. 

we know it pops with the c-19. Remove the c-19 and put the c-16 in. Does it still pop with the c-16?

if it doesn’t and plays fine then the obviously the c-19 isn’t working correctly and you need to send it back.

if it continues to pop with the c-16 then I’d be looking at the amplifier and all connections made. 

regardless of which unit is having an issue if any you’re covered. 

Thanks

• That Rocks 3

Thank you [forum members] for the last two posts. I’ve dicked around w/C 16

connected this morning. No POWWW-POPS but the treble doesn’t work. Plus,

PLUS the TFM 35 amp connected to the C 16s main #1 or main #2, it sounds dull, 

dead, lifeless. My 6200 receiver sounds better than the/this refurbed C 16 when

I swap tested/compared. It’s not my speakers!  I’m leaning towards the refurbed

preamps being the “problem children” in this system. Particularly w/no treble

adjustment w/the C 16. This is beyond maddening! Thank you gentlemen !!!!

• Thank You 1

Could be something as simple as dirty contacts.  I lost sound out of the left channel one time on my setup while using the C16.  Was frustrating.  Thought it was maybe my equalizer, but even had the loss of signal without the EP1 (External Processor 1 button) engaged.  Even hooked it up to EP2, same issue.   Took it out of system and brought it to a buddies who repairs gear when visiting last summer.  He said, "did you clean the contacts on the switches?".  Low and behold, a little deoxit on the contacts and a few pushes in and out on all of the face panel buttons, viola, been up and running with full sound without a hiccup since!  The loud pop on the C-19, I do get it once in a little bit (refurbished by myself not to long ago).  It depends on how loud I have the volume setting and how quickly I flip the switch.  Mostly, when I get it, is when I am turning up the gain from 0db.  Like I said, not all the time.  I've cleaned it several times, I checked the circuit, nothing funky.  Just depends on how it is feeling that day!   I am learning this electronics trickery as I go along, and it is trickery!  (J/K).  Both of these units are incredible pieces of equipment and should make you setup sing!  Although, they will also make you notice how bad some of the other pieces of your system may be.

Don't give up.  You will get to your Audio Nirvana soon.

• That Rocks 1