New to the forum

Hello everyone! I just found this forum this week while looking for owner’s and repair manuals for my Carver M1.5t and C-1 preamp. I bought them both off of E-bay back in 2019. The C-1 came in its original box along with original manual, which was inside of a larger shipping box. The M1.5t came loosely packed in a too-big box with a corner of the amp actually sticking out of the box. Everything still works though. I haven’t opened up the cabinets to see if everything is ok on the insides, probably should one of these days. Lol. 

I was an amateur audiophile back in the high school and college years back in the late 70’s and through the 80’s.  I started off playing around with guitar and PA amplifiers and experimenting with my own shop-built speakers.  I loved messing around with all of the equipment more than actually learning how to play the guitar. In college I was the Stereo guy who provided the music for a lot of parties. A good friend had a Carver M1.5t and Yamaha preamp that would drive my speakers really well at all of the parties. Each speaker cab had an Electrovoice EVM 15-B woofer, altec horn with a Jensen driver, and two piezo-electric teeters. They were great party speakers and still are now in the new cabinets I rebuilt in 2019. So now, I’ve recreated my college party system again since I got my own M1.5t and C-1.  I’m probably going to eventually find or build some more refined speakers one of these days. I’ll list the other equipment I have in the near future, but I’m looking forward to seeing what everyone else is collecting and creating around here.

Edit- I should have also mentioned my first Carver was an HTR-880 Home Theater Amplifier around 1991 or so powering a Bose Acoustimass II surround sound system that I still use today in the Greatroom.

Edited by Blueprintt
Typos and additional info.
  • Thank You 7
  • That Rocks 1

Hello Blueprintt, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help.

I think you will fit right in here. We have quite a few members who've owned Carver, Phase Linear, & Sunfire gear for a long time. I bought my first Carver amp, an M-400t, in 1983 or 84. I've owned many different amps, 3 different preamps, 4 different tuners, and a pair of butchered Platinums.  

Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

• Thank You 2

Welcome @Blueprintt! You have 2 nice pieces of Carver gear there. Get both of them refurbished and your music will sound great! BillD the C-1 and refurbish the M1.5t and I think you will be impressed with the sound quality. We have the service manuals if you want to do it yourself or great techs here that can do it for you. Take a look around and enjoy the site!

• Thank You 3

Welcome to the forum !! Glad you stopped by and hope you decide to stick around.

The C-1 is a favorite around here and there is a lot of upgrade information for it. That 1.5t is a beast and another constant in the Carver universe.

Thanks for sharing with us.

• Thank You 2

Welcome! I can relate as the equipment guy for parties back in the day. I tried to relive that a little 4 years ago when I bought some Electro-Voice T52+ PA speakers for holiday barbeques at work. I drove them with my Carver TFM-45 and a Yamaha preamp. Talk about loud! I loved it but everyone else was a dud so I stopped bringing them. 

• Thank You 1
  • Sad 1

• Community Admin

Welcome @Blueprintt, Glad you found us.

Like @PMAT, I can relate to your party story too..., I have a pair of Peavey SP-2A studio monitors - the older models, with fabric surrounds, and horns..., that just jam for parties..., Today, I use them for Karaoke when the kids come home for holidays.

Love your story on how you are coming full circle.  You have found the right place.  There are a number of folks here, contemporaries, that experienced the 60's 70's and 80's...

Or, another way to put it, have experienced Bob Carver's Phase Linear, Carver Corp., and Bob Carver products, respectively speaking !

Looking forward to hearing about your journey.

Oh, look in the Manuals Library (main menu) and you'll find the manuals you seek.  Also, there's a lot of good support tech help here from experts (not me) as you refresh, if that is your path.

If you are looking for refined speakers..., check out any number of speaker threads that will keep you busy..., and check out @Daddyjt,'s thread(s) on NHT speakers out of Benecia, CA (American assembled from Chinese Parts)... - these are really getting a following paired with Carver amps, recently.

Again, Welcome !

• Thank You 4

6 hours ago, PMAT said:

Welcome! I can relate as the equipment guy for parties back in the day. I tried to relive that a little 4 years ago when I bought some Electro-Voice T52+ PA speakers for holiday barbeques at work. I drove them with my Carver TFM-45 and a Yamaha preamp. Talk about loud! I loved it but everyone else was a dud so I stopped bringing them. 

Yeah, they’ll definitely get loud! I had my current set-up at an 40-50 person outdoor wedding at our place last fall and it was a hit with the younger 20-somethings. We just plugged in the I-pad and IPhone and played through the C-1 Aux RCA with an adapter. May not have been the best quality recorded source, but it served the purpose well I think they appreciated the vintage technology and the 70-90s music too. I look forward to leaning more from people on this forum!

6 hours ago, AndrewJohn said:

Welcome @Blueprintt, Glad you found us.

Like @PMAT, I can relate to your party story too..., I have a pair of Peavey SP-2A studio monitors - the older models, with fabric surrounds, and horns..., that just jam for parties..., Today, I use them for Karaoke when the kids come home for holidays.

Love your story on how you are coming full circle.  You have found the right place.  There are a number of folks here, contemporaries, that experienced the 60's 70's and 80's...

Or, another way to put it, have experienced Bob Carver's Phase Linear, Carver Corp., and Bob Carver products, respectively speaking !

Looking forward to hearing about your journey.

Oh, look in the Manuals Library (main menu) and you'll find the manuals you seek.  Also, there's a lot of good support tech help here from experts (not me) as you refresh, if that is your path.

If you are looking for refined speakers..., check out any number of speaker threads that will keep you busy..., and check out @Daddyjt,'s thread(s) on NHT speakers out of Benecia, CA (American assembled from Chinese Parts)... - these are really getting a following paired with Carver amps, recently.

Again, Welcome !

It’s funny, I think my speakers sound so good to me that I haven’t put much thought into trying out other speakers for a long time. I know there’s a whole new world out there that I’ve been missing out on. Money was always a factor back in the day, but now that I have the M1.5t and C-1, I definitely need to try some other options! I’ve come to the right place.

• That Rocks 1

There is a topic I posted called “Speaker dilemma” that has a lot of talk about different speakers as well as other topics from others here. I have been going through speaker searching  and have experienced a few brands. It is fun to sit back and hook up different kinds and hear the difference. 

• Thank You 1

Welcome to the forum. As you will soon discover, this is a pretty unique place on the Internet. I myself swung by about 9 years ago for some quick information on a modified Carver amplifier I picked up. Since that time I’ve made friends, pissed people off, gotten angry and stormed out of the room, seen old friends pass away, expanded my knowledge, shared my knowledge and had a laugh or two. If all that sounds familiar, it should - it’s just like a real family. 

Even though the soul of Carver runs most strongly in the power amplifier arena, you could not find a better place to discuss speakers that most of us can afford to acquire - you know, great speakers that don’t cost as much as a new car. There are many here with strong opinions, but what you will not find (typically) is “brand-bashing”. You will not be shamed for your proclivity towards any speaker.  As @AndrewJohn mentioned, I myself have developed an affinity (obsession?) for NHT. I’ve been around the block -several times- with speakers, and I’ve never been happier than I am right now. Here’s a link to a shootout I did last year, if you’re interested:  

• Thank You 2

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody. I think I’ll most likely just settle-in and stay for awhile or several years, and hopefully contribute too, occasionally. -Scott

Edited by Blueprintt
Typo
  • Thank You 2

Welcome Blueprintt!!!!!

I like that you are recreating your college party system. Very cool. You should like it around here - lots of good stuff happening here all the time. It a great group of guys to hang with. So good to have you.

• Thank You 1

6 hours ago, Daddyjt said:

Welcome to the forum. As you will soon discover, this is a pretty unique place on the Internet. I myself swung by about 9 years ago for some quick information on a modified Carver amplifier I picked up. Since that time I’ve made friends, pissed people off, gotten angry and stormed out of the room, seen old friends pass away, expanded my knowledge, shared my knowledge and had a laugh or two. If all that sounds familiar, it should - it’s just like a real family. 

Even though the soul of Carver runs most strongly in the power amplifier arena, you could not find a better place to discuss speakers that most of us can afford to acquire - you know, great speakers that don’t cost as much as a new car. There are many here with strong opinions, but what you will not find (typically) is “brand-bashing”. You will not be shamed for your proclivity towards any speaker.  As @AndrewJohn mentioned, I myself have developed an affinity (obsession?) for NHT. I’ve been around the block -several times- with speakers, and I’ve never been happier than I am right now. Here’s a link to a shootout I did last year, if you’re interested:  

Thanks for the speaker info Daddyjt. I’ll definitely check out NHTs and some of the others in the Speaker Shootout! Back in the day, I compared my shop-built speakers to some Klipsch Heresys, but mine sounded better, since mine were a little bigger with better bass. Very non-scientific  comparison, I know. 

10 minutes ago, Blueprintt said:

I compared my shop-built speakers to some Klipsch Heresys, but mine sounded better, since mine were a little bigger with better bass. Very non-scientific  comparison, I know. 

It's all about how it sounds to you.

I've said several times on this forum that if two tin cans and a string sound good to you, then you're thousands of dollars ahead of me. :D

• Thank You 4