Hi!  I’ve been a Carver fan sign my high school days when I would go to the local stereo store and dream about getting a Carver amp and preamp. Fast forward to 10 years ago when I needed amps for my home theater system and picked up 2 TFM-25 and a TFM-15. Now, I’m turning more toward more music application and wondering  what I should pick up and should I get them recapped / modded. Btw I also acquired a C1 along the way. Look forward to learning more. 

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

Hello TJActual, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help.

The TFM amps are highly regarded here, and a recap certainly wouldn't hurt. I've owned 4 different models of Carver amps, all of the M series. My personal favorite for music is the M-500t mkII. 

Your C1 is also a great preamp, and with the BillD mod, it becomes exceptional. The BillD mod puts the C1 on a level playing field with preamps that cost several times more. 

Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

• Thank You 1

• Community Admin

Welcome to the Carver Party !  

Great story - can't wait to learn more about your OCCD journey.

Lots of good stuff here.  And, good people.

• Thank You 1

Welcome.

I'm a fan of the TFM series, I've got at least of every series except the TFM-75.

The -15 is often underrated, but its a great amp. It's a great feature to have Left and Right attenuators (like the -6, -35, and -55), allowing you to blend in speakers with different efficiencies (and who doesn't like the meters!).

Welcome aboard.

This is a great source for technical info and the people are great.

• Thank You 2

What would you all consider the minimum skill level to try to recap an amp? I don't think I want to try doing my C1 myself but maybe an amp as a starter project?

I have another project in the works as well. A few months ago I picked up a Thoren TD-150 turntable. Good operating condition. I'm going to re-pilth it in black walnut, picked up a Rega (Moth) 330 tonearm and a Rega Exact cartridge. Look like I'll need to make the arm board. This could/should turn out to be a nice addition for listening to vinyl.  

54 minutes ago, aceman117 said:

TJ Actual, welcome!  I'am assuming you drive a jeep?  What year and model TJ  jeep do you drive?

I have a 2004 Rubicon on steroids with a 4.5" lift kit, 37" Iroks, and a whole bunch of nice upgrades.

I don't actually (excuse the pun). First initials are TJ and actual is the military term on the radio for the real person of the commander of a unit e.g Alpha Company Actual means you're talking to the commander of Alpha Company. Apologies if you knew that. Mostly I drive a Ford F250 diesel crew cab. 

Welcome TJ.  The C1 preamp is relatively easy to work on IMHO.  I think that you would be fine starting with that rather than trying to recap an amplifier.  The C1 solder pads are kind of delicate so you have to be careful with iron temperature and duration.  Find some old junk PCB to practice on first.

44 minutes ago, TJActual said:

I don't actually (excuse the pun). First initials are TJ and actual is the military term on the radio for the real person of the commander of a unit e.g Alpha Company Actual means you're talking to the commander of Alpha Company. Apologies if you knew that. Mostly I drive a Ford F250 diesel crew cab. 

Diesels are even better!

Again, welcome!