Old Electronics Guy

Hi
I'm an old electronics guy that still repairs electronics.
Though I'm supposed to be retired my customers won't let it happen.
I mostly repair guitar tube amps but thought I'd dabble in vintage stereo equipment since the pandemic has taken much of my business away. Musicians aren't playing much if any these days, so they don't need their gear repaired.
I'm looking forward to both contributing here and getting advice.

• Thank You 7

Hello gabbyhayes, and welcome to thecarversite.com. Great forum name by the way. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help.  We have quite a few very talented techs and DIYr's here. I'm sure you'll find useful information, and maybe a few laughs. :D 

I'd like to hear about your personal gear, and the journey to acquiring it. Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

• Thank You 2

• Community Admin

Welcome @gabbyhayes, glad you are here !

Do you have any Carver gear?  for listening?  on your bench?

Always like hearing bits of history and wisdom from experience.

Some guys here play, and have guitar amps, they fix, and share stories here too... don't be shy about sharing a non-Carver story in a thread.  

Welcome to the forum. 

• Thank You 2

Welcome Gabbyhayes!!!! So good to have you. If you repair stuff you will fit in here. Lots of that going on all the time around here. It's a really great group of guys who are always willing to help each other out. And it's a whole lot of fun.

• Thank You 2

1 hour ago, AndrewJohn said:

Do you have any Carver gear?  for listening?  on your bench?

No Carver gear but my vintage gear consists of a pretty impressive Heathkit system I built as a teenager about 45 years ago. Still works...the last time I turned it on anyway??

I'll post a few pics once I'm allowed. It consists of a AA-1640 power amp.

AS-1348 speakers

and the AN-2016 Preamp

On my bench I have a very modest Ravel AM-30 that I bought at a garage sale for $5 if my memory serves me correctly.

Also a Toshiba SB-M12 for a little more power if needed. Again a garage sale find.

My home theater is an Onkyo system with Paradigm speakers. Great for watching movies.

So looking forward to getting the M500 repaired to add to my collection. 😊  

• Thank You 3

1 hour ago, AndrewJohn said:

Some guys here play, and have guitar amps, they fix, and share stories here too... don't be shy about sharing a non-Carver story in a thread.  

I'd be happy to share my expertise if I can.

• Thank You 3

39 minutes ago, Receiver2000 said:

Welcome Gabbyhayes!!!! So good to have you. If you repair stuff you will fit in here. Lots of that going on all the time around here. It's a really great group of guys who are always willing to help each other out. And it's a whole lot of fun.

Most people that are interested in repairing electronics tend to be getting up there...like me. Most have the time and patience to help and are happy to help.

When I bought my HP339A distortion Analyzer on Ebay, it had a problem in a power supply. It needed an obsolete regulator.

A fellow in New Zealand sent me one at no cost to me and at considerable shipping cost to him.

He wouldn't accept any money.

Hopefully I can pay it forward  at some point.

Almost everyone I deal with in my business is getting up there, ...musicians and techs.

There will be alot of expertise disappearing over the next few years that can't easily be replaced. 

In the meantime repairing gear keeps me busy and out of trouble, a few dollars to spend on my other likes, and is good exercise for my brain.

I love being able to figure out where the problem is and I get alot of satisfaction from making electronic gear function  again.

I also get alot of satisfaction from seeing the joy that people experience, when I get their equipment repaired.

Lately I've been repairing a few turntables. People almost pee their pants when they hear how good vinyl sounds.

They usually can't wait to get home to relive their youth listening to their old albums!!

• That Rocks 2

Welcome to the site. I noticed a lot of Heathkit on your bench, when I did photo equipment repair, I had def a lot of self built Heathkit test gear!

I think you will fit in well in this corner of cyberspace!  As always turn it up, grab a beverage, kick off your shoes, relax and enjoy the tunes!

barry

• Thank You 3