C-4000 vs C-1 with Bill D Mod

• 7 months later...

I now have a C-1 with the Bill D. mod and wow, does it sound nice.  I'm in the queue for Nelion to upgrade my M-500 (in 2022 - there's a holding pattern).  When I get that back I expect my system will be good for another couple of decades.  I'm very pleased with the sound now, so when the Mk II is complete on the M-500 I expect even better sound.

I've also been reading about DACs and Streamers too - but I'm a slow adopter of gear, so I'll keep reading.  But once the M-500 is a Mk II I may breakdown and get a DAC/Streamer combo just to have that ease of access to the huge world of recordings available through a streaming service.  

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

20 hours ago, submariner said:

I now have a C-1 with the Bill D. mod and wow, does it sound nice.  I'm in the queue for Nelion to upgrade my M-500 (in 2022 - there's a holding pattern).  When I get that back I expect my system will be good for another couple of decades.  I'm very pleased with the sound now, so when the Mk II is complete on the M-500 I expect even better sound.

I've also been reading about DACs and Streamers too - but I'm a slow adopter of gear, so I'll keep reading.  But once the M-500 is a Mk II I may breakdown and get a DAC/Streamer combo just to have that ease of access to the huge world of recordings available through a streaming service.  

You will enjoy the M500t and C-1 combo. I am old school so I have cds, cassette tape, mini disc and DAT. I like the formats and recording to them. The different technologies are fun to listen to. Let us know what brand of DAC and streamer you buy…… grin

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/18/2021 at 10:29 AM, Dadvw said:

You will enjoy the M500t and C-1 combo. I am old school so I have cds, cassette tape, mini disc and DAT. I like the formats and recording to them. The different technologies are fun to listen to. Let us know what brand of DAC and streamer you buy…… grin

I am really enjoying the expansive sound I'm getting from the C-1/M-500 combination.  To continue to improve I have also added 2 elements to my system:  a Furman power conditioner and a BlueSound Node.  The Furman did help and made my house power very quiet, with the benefit of surge protection.  But the BlueSound Node is the real star addition and performer.  I am seriously impressed.  But, I tweaked it some more...
I also added Tidal, even though I have been listening to Amazon music and was happy with that.  I got the Premier version on trial (but I've already decided I'm keeping it), and I strongly recommend it to all of you as it is noticeably better sound.  And I'd like to also point out that Tidal offers a discount to veterans and active military, and also to first responders, that makes the Premier sound cost the same as the "normal" quality sound.  
So until I get my M-500 upgraded by Nelion next January, this is what I've got running.  I'll put my old M-400 (my first real amplifier) back into service when the M-500 is becoming all it can be.
Hope everyone is doing well.

• That Rocks 2

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, SirPaulGerman said:

What is the best Carver preamp to mod ? 

Yes. :D 

It's a matter of personal preference. I prefer my BillD C-1 with an M1.0t mkII opt002 amp and my cone speakers. I prefer my Bonzoro modded 4000t with an M500t mkII and my Martin Logan ESLs. 

ymmv.

• Thank You 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/17/2021 at 12:33 AM, Sk1Bum said:

Yes. :D 

It's a matter of personal preference. I prefer my BillD C-1 with an M1.0t mkII opt002 amp and my cone speakers. I prefer my Bonzoro modded 4000t with an M500t mkII and my Martin Logan ESLs. 

ymmv.

But if you were going to power a pair of Polk SDA 2 (later to be upgraded to Pendragons) would you want a C-1 or a 4000T (would send either to Nelion) and would you want an M500T mkII (might go to Nelion for 002) or would you want two monoblocked M1.0T mkII 002?

Im'ma bout to start letting some cash go Friday so trying to make some decisions. I know I can buy and sell to try other combos but would like to come out swing'n.

• 2 weeks later...