Smelly Old Guy

See, it's not just newbies who smell bad so take heart.

Balok recently wrote me to tell me that BluesPower had passed away so I wanted to drop in and offer my condolances.  I'm not 100% sure but I think I sold him a Sonic Frontiers preamp that blew up his speakers many years and he was happy to return it to me in exchange for a big box of CDs.  I still have that preamp here in constant use, I forgot to tell him the shut down sequence so that surprised both him and his girlfriend with the fireworks...

I tried to log in but saw I was Retired so figured I must have gotten banned somewhere along the line but nope, just a forum change.

Nice look to it, by the way.  This site has really come a long way!

Then I was bored and got sucked into a thread on audiocircle about what gear do you miss and I thought about that Sonic Frontiers preamp (got that back) and then these big VTL monoblocks which I sold to a forum member here and when he switched them both on at the same time they shut down his house!

I got those back, too, and used them today.  

Starting to see a pattern here...

Then I got to thinking boy, I really miss my old WooAudio WA6 headphone amp, I just loved that thing.  It was just so solidly built and once it finally warmed up it just sounded so good...

So, I went onto eBay and there's one, same color, put in an offer and sold!  Happy Day.

It gets better - that's my old unit which I sold to a member here, Mark, many years ago.  I'm even getting the spare tubes back.

What are the odds of that?

I couldn't pry my old DT-880s away from his son so I snagged a pair of Beyerdynamic Amiron headphones to keep me entertained while I work at home 75 hours/week.

The source will be a Harman Kardon CD player which was a Karma winning from yet ANOTHER member here!

There are a lot of really good people on this site.

At any rate, that's how I wandered back in here.  

Everybody likes pictures so here's the headphone amp that's in a box somewhere on a truck.

wa6 a.jpg

wa6.jpg

• Thank You 6
  • That Rocks 2

Thank you, I'll try to be active here.

I don't know what I can bring to the table other than background noise.

It's been mostly motorcycles and Gibson guitars (like crazy) recently but I AM putting together a new midget stereo system so that might be of interest to the members here.

I haven't upgraded stuff in a very long time so this will be an adventure.  New speakers, amps, preamp, probably a BluRay player and sub.  Nothing really exotic but things have really come a long way over the years.  It seems like you don't have to spend a fortune to get really good sound (I'm hoping).

Maddmaster, you're still here?  Good deal!

I imagine you've gone through 43 cars by now...

That HK still works flawlessly.  I picked up a little cheapie DAC for it (DI/O) which has worked well.  I'll try it with and without when that WA6 shows up.

I don't have much spare time but today is a 7.5 hour day SO time to listen to two albums which showed up a few weeks ago: an old Root Boy Slim which I've never heard and a PJ Harvey rerelease.  

5 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Thank you, I'll try to be active here.

I don't know what I can bring to the table other than background noise.

It's been mostly motorcycles and Gibson guitars (like crazy) recently but I AM putting together a new midget stereo system so that might be of interest to the members here.

I haven't upgraded stuff in a very long time so this will be an adventure.  New speakers, amps, preamp, probably a BluRay player and sub.  Nothing really exotic but things have really come a long way over the years.  It seems like you don't have to spend a fortune to get really good sound (I'm hoping).

Maddmaster, you're still here?  Good deal!

I imagine you've gone through 43 cars by now...

That HK still works flawlessly.  I picked up a little cheapie DAC for it (DI/O) which has worked well.  I'll try it with and without when that WA6 shows up.

I don't have much spare time but today is a 7.5 hour day SO time to listen to two albums which showed up a few weeks ago: an old Root Boy Slim which I've never heard and a PJ Harvey rerelease.  

I have to laugh that you remembered how much I was into cars and swapping them. That continued through the years. I think I've finally slowed that roll with my last one. I think I've been through 4 or five since I met up at Hunt Valley for the hand off of the HK.

• Community Admin

Welcome back, @SteveFord.

Love some of your epic posts of the past..., and some images that push the limits..., 😉 

The more things change, the more they stay the same!   Glad you're back.

Welcome back Steve!  I’m glad your eBay handle is so similar to your Carversite handle. When I saw the WA6 sell on eBay, I immediately noticed your handle, and figured “what are the odds”? Turns out, pretty good!  

Glad to have you back - we were running short on ornery old guys🤣

I posted risque photos?  I recall there was a best looking woman thread years ago but then it just kind of wound up being The Drunken Women Of Wal-Mart before it was finally killed off for just being too stupid for words.

That was around the same time they had guess this component's guts and Kevin always won because he found some program to cheat with.  

Let me poke around this site some and see what's here.

Just for the fun of it, here's probably my final guitar purchase (maybe), a 2008 Gibson ES-345.  

No, the house isn't sloping, I just can't manage to ever take a straight picture.

es 345 home 1.jpg

Edited by SteveFord
  • Thank You 2
  • Love this! 2

Welcome back Steve @SteveFord! IIRC.; You had some very entertaining posts on here.  

I too venture through audio circle.  I read a lot on open baffle speakers, GR Research and Spatial Audio as well as other circles. My handle there is BarryG443.  I have even posted in your Frank Zappa vinlyl thread!  I recently purchased a Spatial Audio  M3 Turbo Master set of open baffle speakers!  

Good to see an old friend return, Have a great day!

Barry

Edited by BarryG

I tried 20.7s in the living room but they were just too big but here's a shot from when I had them.

The sound quality was just amazing but I needed another 6' in width and depth so off they went.

If you've got the room for them, though, do it.  You will have the sound of a live performance at your fingertips.

I acutally found myself wondering how much it would cost to expand the house, ha, ha.

I probably didn't express myself clearly; when I say a live performance I don't just mean volume.  It's close your eyes and it sounds like the performers are actually standing in the room with you.  They are THERE.

I've never heard anything like them (they're a different construction than the lesser models so they sound considerably different).  

downstairs.jpg

Edited by SteveFord
  • Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1
  • Love this! 2

Here's the upstairs which sounds really good, everything is sized just right.  You don't have the ribbons with the 1.7s so you lose some resolution but you can't have everything.

The SVS passive sub was listed here under Found Deals many years ago and it came with two little wall mount Magnepans which I hung up but never plugged into anything.  

Why, who knows.  

That sub really did the trick.  

svs2.jpg

upstairs.jpg

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

I did not realize you moved on from the 20.7...  I would LOVE to hear a pair of those some day - I’ve never even SEEN a pair in person...

Those SVS cylindrical subs are damn near unbeatable for the performance/cost ratio. And they are easy to hide in a room....

Last year, the DC HIFI group had a demo at a Maggie dealer with 30.7’s it was quite impressive.  It was at Overture Audio in Delaware.  @SteveFord next time we have a local carver group get together I’ll send you an invite.  Your still in PA right.  I am between Baltimore and Washington just  east of Columbia.  Also I usually work as a volunteer at Capital Audiofest. I am hoping things settle down so it happens this year!

Barry

Yes, the 20.7s were just too big.  

What I didn't realize was that the panel starts about 18" off of the floor so to get far enough back I'd have to either sit in the kitchen or get up in the air on a barstool.  There was also way too much bass for the area.  As Wendall put it, a trombone in a phone booth.

Let me know about Capital Audiofest, I'd like to hit that.

I purposely avoided the 30.7 tour, why torture yourself?  

I did my best to try and get Magnepan to make a smaller version of the 20.7 but they weren't interested in doing a $10,000 speaker.  Last I heard they were working on something north of 30K before the pandemic shut everything down.

I do have a set of the new LRS on order for the upcoming Midget System.  They're only $780 to my door but delivery time is 14-16 weeks out.

WELCOME back @SteveFord!

Good to see ya posting again.  ~^

I bought a Carver 4000t from you several years ago (for a steal!).

One of my better acquisitions....Thank You! 

Edited by Dennis47

Ladies and Gentleman.........

SteveFord.

Hey Steve, I would like to see some close up and sloped pictures of your Sonic Frontiers and deHavilland preamps..