Hi CF1

I realize you are new here, so I'll lay it out for you.

Keep both, acquire more!

That's how we roll here.🤣

All BS aside, Why do you think you would be better off with the AVR?

• Haha 2

Honestly, I've never dealt with the AVR version. From afar, they look to be kissing cousins.

You would know better than I on the differences. What are your impressions.

And ignore @bfg4wd

• Haha 1

Hello ChestnutFalcon1201, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help. 

I have no experience with either of those receivers, but I'll have to agree with RodH, keep them both. :D

Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

• Thank You 1

There are many similarities,  but looking on the inside, 2 totally different  transformers. The AVR has about 8 lbs on the MXR. A giant transformer. I understand that the MXR, with the magnetic field amp, has Bob's technology that allows a smaller transformer. However,  the AVR is also a MFA. All of the circuit boards look similar, but the AVR has an extra amp mounted in the rear for the surround speakers.

• Thank You 2

8 minutes ago, Sk1Bum said:

Hello ChestnutFalcon1201, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help. 

I have no experience with either of those receivers, but I'll have to agree with RodH, keep them both. :D

Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

Thanks. Excited to be here. And yes... I'm keeping them both. You don't have to twist my arm...😄 I'll upload some pics soon.

• Thank You 2

• Community Admin

Welcome @ChestnutFalcon1201, glad you found us...

As your journey with OCCD continues..., no doubt you will end up picking up a Carver C-9 Sonic Holography unit..., 

That will solve any issues for a system that doesn't have it "native"...

Or, worse, you'll find that you prefer the external loop SH circuit better than the on-board internal SH circuit..., 

Golden ears say they can tell the difference. 😉  But bottom line is, you can have your cake, and eat it too, with a C-9.  

(BTW, folks here really work hard to be excellent "enablers" spending your money on new Carver gear..., you will find this truth to be self evident. 😉 )

Welcome!

• Thank You 3

Welcome @ChestnutFalcon1201 to the site. IMO you should keep both. I am sure there is no monthly payments and you don’t need to register them every year. And you know, now that you have joined, you will surely start putting together systems for every room in the house. So keep the MXR. I have had mine since new in 1987 and it is a great receiver. 

Edited by Rob
  • That Rocks 1

3 hours ago, ChestnutFalcon1201 said:

Thanks. Excited to be here. And yes... I'm keeping them both. You don't have to twist my arm...😄 I'll upload some pics soon.

Way to go @RodH! Another recruit to the OCCD club. He was an easy catch.........grin