Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How much Blow By Blow can you stand?

Zumbini and I have cooked up a road show featuring Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow release.
I'll be burning CD-Rs of:

1) half speed mastered Mobily Fidelity album
2) regular old CD version
3) Sony Gold CD version and
4) the latest remastered 180gm album
Zumbini is up first, 50 posts to get in.
Please do not eat any jelly donuts when handling the CDs...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm almost positive that I have the original album, too. 

If I can find it, it'll be part of the group.  I'll hunt through the collection while the CD is going.

Guess I never bought the original album but I did find a lot of music I didn't know I had!  I sold my record collection to a friend and then got it back years later with quite a few new additions from my old buddy, The Sea Hag.
Just for the fun of it, I'm going to include his latest, Emotion and Commotion.

One copy from the CD, one from the 180gm album.

This one has some vocals and would feature the latest in digital recording technology as well.

I just finished up those two and I listened to them on headphones as even with the a/c going, it's too hot upstairs for tube amps.  So, I've got the vinyl going and on the third track (Never Alone) I'm hearing this really annoying click.  At first I'm thinking it's a very light scratch but no, it's too regular for that so perhaps it's some kind of a percussion echo but no, that's not quite it so what the hell is it other than something bugging the shit out of me?

Then it finally hit me, it's an electric metronome set at a really slow speed!  Click (one two three four five) click...
I'm going to hold off on my comments so I don't contaminate the jury.  I also don't think I can stand to listen to any more of that album for the next year or so.

One thing that I had to wonder about is what speakers they were using during the mixing during the various eras. 

One bass line made me sit up and nearly burst out laughing...
I'm going to hold off on my comments so I don't contaminate the jury.  I also don't think I can stand to listen to any more of that album for the next year or so.
One thing that I had to wonder about is what speakers they were using during the mixing during the various eras. 
One bass line made me sit up and nearly burst out laughing...

My guess is JBL 4312 Studio Monitors; probably used as much as any speaker in history during the 70s & beyond.

Hey Steve, I received the Blow By Blow "package" a few minutes ago and it's in great shape.
Just have a few questions about the pedigree of the recordings before I start the marathon:

"180 Gram Vinyl, Friday Music" is obviously your recent acquisition.
"1/2 Speed Master Vinyl" has to be my CBS Master Sound "Audiophile Pressing" (HE43409).
"Gold CD" is probably my Epic/Sony Master Sound "Super Bit Mapped" digital remaster (EK53442).
That leaves "Epic CD". Is that the mainstream release (EK35440) or something else?

Thanks Steve. I that added ID info to each of the discs.

BTW - I didn't realize how many releases of Blow By Blow there were.
These are just the issues AFTER 1990:
Year spacer.gif right.gif
left.gif Type spacer.gif right.gif
left.gif Label spacer.gif
right.gif
left.gif Catalog # spacer.gif right.gif
1998 CD Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab 727
1994 CD Legacy Recordings 64407
2001 CD Epic 85440
2001 CD Sony Music Distribution 85440
2000 CD Epic 33409
1990 CD Sony Music Distribution 33409
  CS Epic PET-33409
2006 CD Sony Music Distribution 965
2009 LP Friday Music 213340
2006 CD Indie 506
2008 CD Sony Music Distribution 588
2002 CD EPC 5021816
2003 CD Sony Music Distribution 5021819
2004 LP Divine Recordings 371
2001 CD SIS (import)
I just finished listening to all 4 versions in one sitting and I need a break to de-tox!
Once I've recovered sufficiently I plan to choose one song to compare in detail.

One thing I noticed is how "hot" the vinyl recordings are compared to the CDs.
My Sony/CBS 1/2 speed is 3-4dB louder and your 180 gram vinyl is 2-3 dB louder.
There is also high freq distortion (clipping?) in the left channel on the 1/2 speed that is NOT on the LP.
It only shows up on peaks during the fuzz guitar and piano solos on track #9.
How did you set your master recording levels Steve?
I don't think that it was too high, none of them ever went even close to the clipping portion on the LEDs.

The recording volume level wasn't changed between albums but it did have to be lowered from doing the CDs which were done at the same level (there's a lot of gain from my phono amp).

I couldn't stand to listen to the copies but did hear a section from each one to make sure that they recorded properly and I wasn't sending out a bunch of duds.
Believe it or not I've never burned a music CD. Is it possible to record at too high a level?

I'm certain the distortion is on the disc rather than from the hardware I used to reproduce it.
I actually kept playback at relatively low levels compared tp my "normal" listening level.
The 2 CD recordings barely lit the 2nd LEDs (about -8dB on the calibrated M-500).
The 180 gram recording peaked around the 3rd LED (-5dB) and the 1/2 speed peaked at the 4th LED (-3db).

I don't know if you can clip a burner, as it is just reproducing the digital on the disk in the computer.  You can clip the analog to digital converter, though, and it doesn't sound pretty.  My DAC (the ADC part) has clipping lamps, and the burning software also indicates clipping (the software being well below the clipping lights on the DAC — for safety, I guess).  It's a really difficult thing if you don't watch it every second.  You want the absolute maximum for the best S/N ratio, but you ruin that if you clip.  When I was doing my vinyl collection, I'd play a side riding the gain down until no clipping occurred and then record that side at that level.  Long process.