Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A pleasant surprise from my CT-3

As stalwart readers of my effluvial prose are aware, I'm the satisfied master of a Carver CT-3 tuner/preamplifier. Satisfied yet frustrated, as said component had no remote with it at the time of purchase.

(What do people do with all of these remotes? It is a mystery. There are, perhaps, remote-coveting gnomes; short, ill-tempered little bastards that have a deep-seated longing to amass treasure out of convenience devices. I speculate that they are near neighbors - or even a long lost tribe - of those wretches that hoard keys, sunglasses, and one-half of a given pair of socks. They may have gone through the centuries, this particular tribe, hoarding said items yet remaining unfulfilled, awaiting the day when someone would invent something uniquely useful, expensive, and easily misplaced, something that they could draw into their greedy inter-dimensional mitts. One day the first remote was invented, and almost certainly that very same remote was immediately misplaced in the lab. It later appeared in the grimy paws of a particularly nasty gnome who used this occasion to rise to the leadership of this discontented clan. They now live a certain distance away from their long-neglected relatives, experiencing a very particular joy in using their treasured remotes to change the channels of said relatives' tellys and hifis, the grimy little gits. ) 

I found one seller upon eBay who had a pair of the needed RH-74 remotes, at a ridiculously high price. I had just missed one for around $35, so I offered him the same. He came back with a very minor discount, perhaps a fiver. I declined. I then forgot about it, as I had far too many items to use here to be concerned with this minor detail. Last December I found that I had just missed another RH-74, for a very small price. The other geezer was still in play with his two remotes, and now he was up to $85 or thereabouts. I offered him $40, he declined.

We now take this meandering story to just a couple of weeks ago, when I found a brand new remote to replace the one missing from my Marantz SACD/Blu-ray player. I decided to add that player to my CT-3, my refurbished TFM-25, and a pair of B&W speakers I discovered during an excavation of one of my rooms here. I had a fine test CD playing from Yello, and I ventured to try the volume controls on the remote. I was completely surprised to see the red light on the CT-3 jump into action, alerting me that fine piece of equipment had heard my request and would immediately honor it. 

I was amazed. I was floored. I was thrilled that I could actually get a remote that would talk to two completely unrelated things, as if I held a UN interpreter in my hand and it was speaking to a pair of belligerent tribesmen and convincing them to sit at tea. Upon closer examination I found that the volume button I'd pushed was placed in a box in the center of a the remote with a few other controls, and said box was titled "Amp". 

I'd previously considered selling the CT-3, as I despaired of ever finding a remote for it. Now it has received a warm welcome. I think I'm going to see what else this remote works with. If it opens the door to my carpark I will be left a drooling loon. 

Edited by Butcher
  • That Rocks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Community Admin

I had something similar with the volume remote for the BillD C-1 that @Daddyjt built for me. That remote also controlled the play/pause/stop/skip/back functions on a Marantz CD player that I had at the time.

• Thank You 3
  • 1 month later...
On 3/14/2021 at 4:08 PM, Sk1Bum said:

I had something similar with the volume remote for the BillD C-1 that @Daddyjt built for me. That remote also controlled the play/pause/stop/skip/back functions on a Marantz CD player that I had at the time.

Tell me more about this volume remote. I am intrigued. 

• Community Admin
3 hours ago, Butcher said:

Tell me more about this volume remote. I am intrigued. 

I can't tell you much other than it's a small Philips remote, and I think it's popular with the resident techs. @Daddyjt may be able to expound on it.

C-1 Remote 1.jpg

C-1 Remote back.jpg

C-1 Remote battery cover.jpg

• Thank You 1

No angst over remotes in Chez @Butcher, is there?

The Philips remote that Sk1Bum shows is used to drive a replacement volume pot, that some of the techs, here, who are brave, foolish, and willing to indulge those of us with C1's who are too lazy to go turn a volume knob.  Not a trivial surgery, as they will tell you, but one that I have greatly appreciated - thanks Mark!

I don't know what else might use the same coding as that one.  It does sound like the Marantz and CT-3 are the same.  I vaguely recall seeing something about that, here on the site somewhere, where the remote were being sourced either from Marantz, or from their supplier for some of the Carver gear.   Regardless, that is a real bonus for Butcher, and I totally understand his glee in that discovery.

• Thank You 1
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

No angst over remotes in Chez @Butcher, is there?

Only when everything works, my friend. A component without the proper communicator makes me looney. Once in a great while I take a dive into the box o' many remotes at Dougie's Lair of Audio Exceptionalism and I come home with cheap handhelds just in case. I have Carver remotes for pieces I don't even own, which I think would be peak OCCD. 

The Philips remote that Sk1Bum shows is used to drive a replacement volume pot, that some of the techs, here, who are brave, foolish, and willing to indulge those of us with C1's who are too lazy to go turn a volume knob.  Not a trivial surgery, as they will tell you, but one that I have greatly appreciated - thanks Mark!

While I would have no trouble replacing all 167 parts in the BillD modification roster, I would not feel right about that much of a modification.  Even if I were up to it, the thought of putting counterfeit ALPS switches in my gear is just too much for me to countenance. I would be far happier if I were to source another media player that has its own level control and call it complete. I think I'll move on to the "tube buffer stage" people said I should contemplate for my CT-3

I don't know what else might use the same coding as that one.  It does sound like the Marantz and CT-3 are the same.  I vaguely recall seeing something about that, here on the site somewhere, where the remote were being sourced either from Marantz, or from their supplier for some of the Carver gear.   Regardless, that is a real bonus for Butcher, and I totally understand his glee in that discovery.

Its like unlocking the Konami code of audio remotes. 

Edited by Butcher
  • That Rocks 1

STOP IT!

The CT-3 just isn't that good. Have one. With the original remote. Disappointing. As it the pair of CT-29V's, and several CT-17's. Rubbish. Point thine ears in a different direction. 

• Haha 2