New Member Sole Survivor

Hello, i'm a new member on the Carver site. I own one Carver C1 preamp and two Carver M200t amps. The two M200t are fed by the C1 via mono connections. Each of these amps drive a OHM model i speaker. I have a Thorens TD-316 TT hooked up on the C1 with the TP-21 Tonearm carrying a Grado Prestige Green cartridge. I have mounted this system in the last 2 years and it's pretty impressive for the amount of money invested so far. I just received a BillD upgrade kit for the C1 preamp and i would like to know any comments from people who actually done it.

Thanks

• Thank You 7
  • That Rocks 1

Welcome to the Carver Site! I have 2 of the C-1's that have been upgraded and I love them.  Unfortunately, with health issues I am unable to work on things myself but mine were done by some of the fine techs here on the site. 

I'm not sure which "kit" you are referring to as there are a fairly large range up upgrades that have evolved over the years and all seem to be placed under the umbrella of "BillD"

If you clarify which upgrades you plan on pursuing (remote volume, Gold RCA's, Caps, Op-Amps, etc.) I'm sure one of the techs will be by and able to give you more detailed answers to specific questions.

While waiting, you might do well to spend some time reading here as it truly is a mountain of information.

Pull up a chair and enjoy yourself!

• Thank You 4

Hello Soul Survivor, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help. 

I use a BillD C-1 with all the bells-and-whistles, and it's a phenomenal value.  The mod was done by @Daddyjt, and he did a great job. 

A word of caution about the BillD kits, they have been problematic in the past, plagued with counterfeit parts.  Most everyone here sources their own parts. There's an outdated BOM on site, but the techs will be happy help you find what you need.

Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

• Thank You 2

WELCOME @Sole Survivor!

The advise given above by members is right on.

You'll love the results of the BillD upgrade to your C-1.  ~^

I too have a Thorens 316 (but with Ortofon OM-30).  Really like it!

Great group of members we have here. Stick around....

• Thank You 3

Welcome.jpg.488ab752ded870d09d24636323a100ec.jpg

Welcome to the group!  I can certainly attest to the clean sound of a BillD'ed C1.  I can't offer any tech advice (and if I do, be afraid - be very afraid), but there are lots of folks here who can.

Nice set of equipment!  It's nice to see someone else running Grado carts, BTW!   I know some folks might shy away from them, but I've always liked them, and I'm quite happy with mine.  ~^

• Thank You 3

Welcome to the site. Nice collection you have there. Gotta love those little 200t’s along with the C1. I have rebuilt quite a few of them and they are a really nice sounding amp. Good bang for the buck. 

I will be tackling the Bill D mod in the near future myself but I have to many other things going on. There is plenty of information on the mod in the preamp area for you to read if you can access it. 
Good luck and enjoy the site. Good people and good fun here. 

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

10 hours ago, Dennis47 said:

WELCOME @Sole Survivor!

The advise given above by members is right on.

You'll love the results of the BillD upgrade to your C-1.  ~^

I too have a Thorens 316 (but with Ortofon OM-30).  Really like it!

Great group of members we have here. Stick around....

Thanks, i have stuff to learn from you guys.

• That Rocks 2

48 minutes ago, Rob said:

Welcome to the site. Nice collection you have there. Gotta love those little 200t’s along with the C1. I have rebuilt quite a few of them and they are a really nice sounding amp. Good bang for the buck. 

I will be tackling the Bill D mod in the near future myself but I have to many other things going on. There is plenty of information on the mod in the preamp area for you to read if you can access it. 
Good luck and enjoy the site. Good people and good fun here. 

Thanks, it's a little collection compared to the ones i see you people have. I'm pretty amazed by all those Carver gooddies. I'm from Québec, Canada and it's hard to find good condition Carver gear around hear.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

3 hours ago, Sole Survivor said:

I'm from Québec, Canada

Great - more class added to the site!  I do see a fair number of Carver toys from QC on Canuck Audio Mart - usually just a bit far for me to go pick up.  I'm just East of TO.

• Thank You 1