Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I found a pair of NHT 2.9s on Facebook Marketplace after a long search. They showed up first thing in the morning for $500 so I jumped on them. After a 7 hour drive they are back at my shop. The seller got a lot of calls but held them for me since I was coming from afar.

nht29.jpg

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 5
  • Love this! 1
  • Community Admin

The mahogany finish is gorgeous!

Contact @Daddyjt for info on replacing the foam with felt strips.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1
5 minutes ago, Sk1Bum said:

The mahogany finish is gorgeous!

Contact @Daddyjt for info on replacing the foam with felt strips.

Thanks! I couldn't remember who was the member that knew about that.👍

• Thank You 2
1 minute ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

Now THOSE are PRETTY!!!!!   ~^=D=

Too pretty. I'm reluctant to take them home and put them in my living room. I have eight cats that like to sit on top of anything and everything. I may have to dedicate a room as cat-free and make that the listening room.

• That Rocks 1

I totally get the cat issue - I have 3 little sweethearts that would love nothing better than to shred any grillcloth that enters the house.  BTW, 8?  Good on you, sir!!!  I'm proud of you!

When I get home, I can show you what I did to prevent my lovely fur kids from turning my 2.9's into nice, tall, expensive scratching posts (including both the side and front speaker grills).

It wasn't difficult at all, but I do have to remove the "covering pieces" to listen - takes about 30seconds.    😺

My listening room can't be cat-blocked - it's all too open concept, so I had to cat-resist the speakers.  🙀

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2
10 minutes ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

I totally get the cat issue - I have 3 little sweethearts that would love nothing better than to shred any grillcloth that enters the house.  BTW, 8?  Good on you, sir!!!  I'm proud of you!

When I get home, I can show you what I did to prevent my lovely fur kids from turning my 2.9's into nice, tall, expensive scratching posts (including both the side and front speaker grills).

It wasn't difficult at all, but I do have to remove the "covering pieces" to listen - takes about 30seconds.    😺

My listening room can't be cat-blocked - it's all too open concept, so I had to cat-resist the speakers.  🙀

They are all rescues from a feral mother in the neighborhood. I have seven more outside.  I thought about putting a cardboard shroud over them when not in use, but that's pretty cumbersome. I look forward to your solution. And you're correct, it's hard to keep the cats where they belong and it only takes one time for the worst to happen.

• That Rocks 2

Here's what I put together to protect my 2.9's.   Mine, like most, are black - not as pretty as yours.   I made my main covers out of some 8" wide melamine shelves that I got from Home Despot, and the colour options were limited at the time, so they wound up as grey.  You could probably find some suitable wood boards, that could be stained to match yours.

nht_covers1.jpg.7500880636733c04db1fc5fe77b913c4.jpg

For the side woofers, I use a couple of 14"x22" shelves I had around - I just set them inside the nuts I put on the feet/spike screws - I used acorn nuts for looks.

I bought 3 shelves and cut one in the middle at the same angle as the front face of the NHTs.  I attached each of the full  shelves to the cut, angled face of the first shelf.  DON'T, REPEAT DON'T use brass screws like I did.  Brass is pretty not NOT structural.  Bad move, Brian!

nht_covers3.jpg.ac5472dd5ebb064ac32fab398cfe021c.jpg

I stuck some rubber pads under the top piece to protect the finish, and keep the covers in place.  I'm thinking of adding a handle on top, but haven't found any I like, yet.

nht_covers2.jpg.61e64a4aa74390bc6ae0053c1e7264a5.jpg

When playing, I usually get lazy and just leave the covers across the top, and flip the woofer boards to the opposite side.

nht_covers4.jpg.8ca53c0abdf961ab6d6a02ceabb4f478.jpg

This is a view lookin straight down, showing the angled board.  Pre drilling the screw holes takes some care - don't go too far out to the edge or one side will go through.

Not sure if this will work for you, but it keeps my fur kids from scratching them or worse.

• Thank You 2
2 hours ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

Here's what I put together to protect my 2.9's.   Mine, like most, are black - not as pretty as yours.   I made my main covers out of some 8" wide melamine shelves that I got from Home Despot, and the colour options were limited at the time, so they wound up as grey.  You could probably find some suitable wood boards, that could be stained to match yours.

For the side woofers, I use a couple of 14"x22" shelves I had around - I just set them inside the nuts I put on the feet/spike screws - I used acorn nuts for looks.

I bought 3 shelves and cut one in the middle at the same angle as the front face of the NHTs.  I attached each of the full  shelves to the cut, angled face of the first shelf.  DON'T, REPEAT DON'T use brass screws like I did.  Brass is pretty not NOT structural.  Bad move, Brian!

I stuck some rubber pads under the top piece to protect the finish, and keep the covers in place.  I'm thinking of adding a handle on top, but haven't found any I like, yet.

When playing, I usually get lazy and just leave the covers across the top, and flip the woofer boards to the opposite side.

This is a view lookin straight down, showing the angled board.  Pre drilling the screw holes takes some care - don't go too far out to the edge or one side will go through.

Not sure if this will work for you, but it keeps my fur kids from scratching them or worse.

I was thinking of something like that. I have some 12" vinyl veneer shelving in the garage right now. I always pre-drill, especially in particle board.

• That Rocks 1
2 hours ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

Damn cats, but I love them. 🙂

• Love this! 1
6 hours ago, SRGresham said:

Thank you! I have an account there so this will be easy!

I picked up 10'..., for my 2.5i's.  I can send you some.  Let me know how much you need. 

6 hours ago, SRGresham said:

Damn cats, but I love them. 🙂

Don't hate me..., but, this is why I have always had a dog.  No cats allowed in my house..., except for my daughter's teacup poodle..., damn closest thing to a cat you can get in a canine.  😉 

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, AndrewJohn said:

Don't hate me..., but, this is why I have always had a dog.  No cats allowed in my house..., except for my daughter's teacup poodle..., damn closest thing to a cat you can get in a canine.  😉 

No worries, here, AJ  -  love dogs, too, but even they can be dangerous to speakers, etc.   I know the collies I grew up with guaranteed you never left anything out or the tail would send it flying.

And, yeah, most teacup poodles are more cat, than cats, are.  😸 

• Haha 2
  • Community Admin
2 hours ago, AndrewJohn said:

I picked up 10'..., for my 2.5i's.  I can send you some.  Let me know how much you need. 

That's why this place rocks! Thank you AJ!

• That Rocks 2

@Brian_at_HHH you must love your cats (and your 2.9s) to go to that effort so they can coexist. Do you have to monitor the speakers whenever the covers are off lest a mischievous cat should decide that your grills are the perfect remedy for its overgrown claws?

I'm lucky to have a dedicated music room and my ridgeback is allowed nowhere near it.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, AndrewJohn said:

Thanks AJ, that would be great! It looks like I need about 18" to do both speakers. I would gladly help with the cost of the foam and the shipping. 👍

Edited by Sk1Bum
Personal info deleted
  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1
3 hours ago, Dadvw said:

I haven’t seen McMaster Carr since I retired from work.........grin

I use them for both work and home. So many projects. 🙂

• Thank You 1
57 minutes ago, SRGresham said:

Thanks AJ, that would be great! It looks like I need about 18" to do both speakers. I would gladly help with the cost of the foam and the shipping. 👍

I'll get this out today.  Look for a PM with tracking # in a bit.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1
1 hour ago, PhilDent said:

@Brian_at_HHH you must love your cats (and your 2.9s) to go to that effort so they can coexist. Do you have to monitor the speakers whenever the covers are off lest a mischievous cat should decide that your grills are the perfect remedy for its overgrown claws?

I'm lucky to have a dedicated music room and my ridgeback is allowed nowhere near it.

No need to monitor the speakers when the covers are off.  They are typically playing at rather cat scattering volume levels - keeps the little buggers away from them for the duration.  I don't have much choice - any speakers I have either have to be mounted way up out of easy reach, or covered.  My house is pretty much open concept so no limiting cat access.

The NHT's have 2 problems.  The front speakers are perfect scratching post height.  The lower ones provide a perfect target for the most ill behaved of my demons, who tends to mark in OTHER ways when an interloper appears in the back yard.  Hence you will also see some spikey mats around the speakers to further dissuade misbehaviour by the bosses.  

My Subwoofer is also, out of necessity, mounted up on a wall unit, again, with spikey mats in front to try and protect it.  Though in this case, the grill is home-made, so not as big a loss if it gets shredded - just so long as the woofer doesn't.

Someday I'll send out a pic of what I had to do for my bedroom system.  All I can say is that it's definitely rather steampunk-esque in its nature, but it keeps the speakers safe.

• Haha 1
25 minutes ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

No need to monitor the speakers when the covers are off.  They are typically playing at rather cat scattering volume levels - keeps the little buggers away from them for the duration.  I don't have much choice - any speakers I have either have to be mounted way up out of easy reach, or covered.  My house is pretty much open concept so no limiting cat access.

The NHT's have 2 problems.  The front speakers are perfect scratching post height.  The lower ones provide a perfect target for the most ill behaved of my demons, who tends to mark in OTHER ways when an interloper appears in the back yard.  Hence you will also see some spikey mats around the speakers to further dissuade misbehaviour by the bosses.  

My Subwoofer is also, out of necessity, mounted up on a wall unit, again, with spikey mats in front to try and protect it.  Though in this case, the grill is home-made, so not as big a loss if it gets shredded - just so long as the woofer doesn't.

Someday I'll send out a pic of what I had to do for my bedroom system.  All I can say is that it's definitely rather steampunk-esque in its nature, but it keeps the speakers safe.

My cats tend to leave the room when the floor starts to vibrate. Though, a couple are starting to hang in there longer before they exit so the speakers might not be safe forever. 🙂

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, SRGresham said:

Though, a couple are starting to hang in there longer before they exit so the speakers might not be safe forever. 🙂

Yup, some of mine are not as quick to vacate, any longer, either.  

We need to avoid white cats!  That could be very dangerous, if we aren't careful!!!   
(For those who are wondering at this - many white cats are deaf).

• Haha 1