Newbie from NC

Hey there!  I'm new here- Thanks for letting me join.  I'm a Carver fan since back in the '80's when I couldn't afford to buy the stuff.  Funny how that goes...now that I have the money to buy the things I wanted back then, I'm way too old for most of my friends to appreciate how cool (personal bias admitted) my setup is.  So, I'm seeking the company of others who have an appreciation :).  

I've been able to collect a Carver C1 pre-amp, M1.5t amp, a TX-2 tuner, and even a TL-3100 CD Player... and use them along with a Technics SL-D1 turntable and Bose 601 Series 1 speakers.  

I haven't done any refurbishment on my own, but might like to try re-capping some day.

Thanks again and look forward to connecting with you all.

Kurt.

• Thank You 7
  • That Rocks 2

Hello Kurt, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help.

A very nice set of gear you have there. I have a C-1 and with the BillD mod, it can hold it's own against preamps many times it's price.  

Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

• That Rocks 3

1 minute ago, Balok said:

k1bum will say "glad you are hear" within minutes......

seconds, but who's counting? :D

• Haha 6

Welcome Kurt!!!! Good to have you. I'm like you,  most of my friends dont appreciate what we have. But the guys around here sure do and they are way more fun. Glad that you are here with us in our little part of the world........Carverland.

• Thank You 2

Welcome to the  carver site!

OCCD is strong with this one!

sit back and enjoy your stay,

“Turn it up, Turn it up, Turn it up, drop the needle and play! ... Meet me at Mary’s Place, we’re gonna have a party!”

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 1

Welcome @Kurt! I can relate about not being able to afford the gear in the 80s but now I can. I have purchased all mine in the last 10 years. I have a nice collection now.....grin

• Thank You 1

• Community Admin

Welcome @Kurt.  Your story sounds familiar..., me, and many others had that 80's wishing experience, and now, going back and doing and owning what we dreamed of from the magic of Bob Carver's mind.

Pretty nice setup.  

At the risk of being called out..., (by Bose haters...) I will admit, I have a pair of the original edition 601's, in Walnut.  I had the second generation which sounded good, but the fake plastic veneer was not my favorite..., so I sold them to a guy that shipped containers of gear to Japan and Korea..., I'm sure he made a mint.

But to be sure..., I think the Bose 601's are the best speaker that ever came out of Bose.  Simple, two-directional-facing drivers.  Reminds me of several of the EPI designs.  They do sound great.  I have mine connected to a DIY tube amp, in my son's room (he's grown and in his own house).

Great to have another Bose 601 owner in the group.  That 1.5 is going to have no problem with those speakers ! 😉

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Welcome to the hoard Kurt. What part on N.C. are you from? I'm in Central N.C., specifically Orange County.

Of all the Bose speakers, the 601 series have been on my mine and I find them the most interesting of their various models. Uh oh!!!  Not I gotta find a pair... LOL

As a young man, I was always motivated to work a little harder  to have equipment as good as or better than my friends. You know, the one's I have all but completely lost touch with by now? Well anyway, being an island I find some solace at least in being able to listen to the music I love. But you're right, there aren't many folk around me either who give a damn about putting together and maintaining an audio system.  😥

The Carver C-1 and M1.5t is what I purchased new as a young man in the mid 80's before selling it off in the mid 90's (mistake). I've since bought just about everything I've ever owned back in multiples... WITH UPGRADES!!  Don't let any fear of a soldering iron hinder you. Take it slow, knowledge is here. It's the experience that's a little tougher but you have to start somewhere.

I think you will find ample help at this site. Never have I met such a fine group of enablers before.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2

Welcome !!

Happy to have you aboard. Where in NC ? I'm in eastern TN, not too far from Knoxville. I get over to NC fairly often - usually on my motorcycle though.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

8 hours ago, Dennis47 said:

WELCOME @Kurt!

Glad you found us.

Carver C-1 and M-1.5t are really nice choices.

Read up on the BilllD mod for C-1 and MKII (Nelion) mod for M-1.5t.  |-|

Just got mine back and yes Kurt, you need to look that....

Welcome!!!!

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

Welcome.jpg.a284355d30a79772528ab040eb2e782f.jpg

Welcome Kurt! I followed a similar route - always wishing I could afford Carver gear in the 80's, and now having indulged myself with it.  The people here are great, and always willing to share advice, ideas, and to contribte to the delinquency of a fellow Carver addict!

On 4/6/2021 at 6:24 PM, Kurt said:

So, I'm seeking the company of others who have an appreciation :).  

You've definitely found the right lace for this.  ~^

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

1 hour ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

You've definitely found the right lace for this.  ~^

Maybe he prefers leather... :D 

• Haha 4

On 4/7/2021 at 9:53 AM, AndrewJohn said:

Welcome @Kurt.  Your story sounds familiar..., me, and many others had that 80's wishing experience, and now, going back and doing and owning what we dreamed of from the magic of Bob Carver's mind.

Pretty nice setup.  

At the risk of being called out..., (by Bose haters...) I will admit, I have a pair of the original edition 601's, in Walnut.  I had the second generation which sounded good, but the fake plastic veneer was not my favorite..., so I sold them to a guy that shipped containers of gear to Japan and Korea..., I'm sure he made a mint.

But to be sure..., I think the Bose 601's are the best speaker that ever came out of Bose.  Simple, two-directional-facing drivers.  Reminds me of several of the EPI designs.  They do sound great.  I have mine connected to a DIY tube amp, in my son's room (he's grown and in his own house).

Great to have another Bose 601 owner in the group.  That 1.5 is going to have no problem with those speakers ! 😉

Thanks @AndrewJohn, yeah... I've heard from the Bose haters and I understand some of it.  But, I had the 601 series II in the late '80s and loved them.  So, I bought these series 1's I have now based on that.... and I even think the series 1's are better.  Plus, to your point, they have a more classic look than the plasticky look of later versions!.  Mine sound great with the 1.5 amp.

Edited by Kurt
  • Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

On 4/7/2021 at 3:50 PM, B-Man said:

Welcome !!

Happy to have you aboard. Where in NC ? I'm in eastern TN, not too far from Knoxville. I get over to NC fairly often - usually on my motorcycle though.

Hi @B-Man, I'm on the south side of Charlotte, near the SC border.  Been here for 15 years, moved from Michigan.  Love it here.  Never going back North!

• That Rocks 1

On 4/6/2021 at 7:56 PM, Maddmaster said:

Welcome Kurt. You probably already found out that M1.5t is more than enough for those 601's. Probably make them sing loud and clear.

Yes, @Maddmaster I like to dust my music room out every now and then.  But, I can't really get much above "1/2 throttle" on the volume knob before the neighborhood gets concerned, lol !

• That Rocks 1