New here, owned Carver since early 80's

Hello,

It's a pleasure being here after owning a MXR-130 and Polk Monitor 5's since 1984. Recapped and reflowed it continues to work great. Will replace other items for continued reliability.

Obtained 2 more which have various needs, from relays on one, to many failed components on the other.

I also have  two Yamaha M-50's that have the X-power supply similar to the Carver units. Repaired one, the other is confounding. I look forward to tapping the wealth of knowledge here.

Cheers, Lee

• Thank You 8

Hello Esprit, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help.

The Carver receivers are popular here. There are several members that have refreshed MXR receivers and they're very happy with them.

Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

• Thank You 1

Welcome.jpg.391f3bf03c4fc03e383a722c38c4dede.jpg

Welcome to the group, Lee!!  There are certainly plenty of folks, here who are happy to share their knowledge & wisdom, though I will except, myself, WRT the actual electronics.  

• Thank You 1

Welcome Lee! Glad to have you aboard the Carver train! Plenty of us OCCD people here and most of us are good enablers when it comes to Carver and other gear. We hope you enjoy the new site!

• That Rocks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning and thank you all for a such a warm welcome! 

I like the Latin version of  'don't let the bastards grind you down'  A favorite of mine.👍

DrummerJuice you nailed it. I have two Esprits, an '85 and '89. Acquired a basket case '70 Europa S2 a few days ago. I run a Import repair (Esprit Motorsports) by myself and do all my own work, so it makes it all possible. 

Dennis47. I listened to many speakers with the Carver before buying the Polk Monitor 5's. they put many more expensive speakers to shame. Both sets have the SL-2000's.

Brian_at_HHH. I have a cat named Jet just like yours. Funny creatures!

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

Update on the equipment:

In the Yamaha M-50 I found a broken wire in the transformer after being told they never go bad... It's now working very well. I will make any adjustments necessary once I learn how. The other will get the same. I am a fan of these power supplies and had to see how Yamaha did it and lost out to Carver in the process. These particular amps have extremely good numbers. I would like to find a couple M-70's that need work.

I have three MX-130's. All parts arrived for them. Bought relays in bulk! The last one suffered an unfortunate event. I was troubleshooting it and a previously hidden metal spacer fell into an output transistor 2SC1320 taking it and two drive transistors out along with three resistors, one of which burned in a spectacular fashion!

After replacing all known bad parts,I powered it up carefully with a 1946 vintage variac and all power supply rails were normal. I planned on replacing the two larger transistor complements prior to listening, but as an experiment, decided to listen to it. Despite the 'mismatched' transistors it sounds fantastic. No adjustments were made. Like the Yamahas I need to learn how to adjust all aspects before turning anything.

If all goes well I will gift one Carver and set of Polks to my son when he gets winged as an NFO in July.  He really appreciates the originals. I may put one Carver in the garage so I'll need more speakers.

I would like to find a Carver M-400 and a Yamaha B-6 that need work for a real challenge.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2

I used a Yamaha C-85 pre and T-85 tuner for years with a pair of M-400ts and later with a pair of M1.0ts. I still have the Yamaha gear. 

• That Rocks 1

If it weren't for the 'Sony Bond Glue' issue, I believe the Yamahas would be taken more seriously. Fortunately It isn't a problem in the M-50's. I have my eye on an M-85. That series is very robust. More importantly I may be acquiring a 4th MX-130. I'm sure it won't be my last!

• Thank You 1

On 4/28/2021 at 5:02 AM, Esprit said:

DrummerJuice you nailed it. I have two Esprits, an '85 and '89. Acquired a basket case '70 Europa S2 a few days ago. I run a Import repair (Esprit Motorsports) by myself and do all my own work, so it makes it all possible. 

Very Cool! Have you converted one in to a submarine yet? 

• That Rocks 1

21 minutes ago, DrummerJuice said:

Very Cool! Have you converted one in to a submarine yet? 

Hahahaha! not yet. I've taken 700 lbs out of The '85 so it wouldn't stay underwater very well anyway! Plus been too busy buying and fixing all the Carver M-XR-130's and Yamaha amps I can get my hands on. It's really a disease.

I've had a great deal of luck working on the Europa. Engine was seized solid from rust and I got it running within 24 hours of it being unloaded. Doesn't smoke one bit. 

13 hours ago, The Raven said:

Welcome aboard!

Thank you! I would like to just hang out here all day (and night)

On 4/28/2021 at 2:49 PM, oakley104 said:

Welcome to the TCS site !!  Looks like your well on your journey... Lots of great info and people here to help you along your never ending audio journey.. 

Never ending is most appropriate! Thanks!

• That Rocks 2

1 hour ago, Esprit said:

I've had a great deal of luck working on the Europa. Engine was seized solid from rust and I got it running within 24 hours of it being unloaded. Doesn't smoke one bit. 

I've always been a fan of the Exige!