Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So, I love my vintage audio gear.  But, I have to admit, I probably use mostly digital, streaming, music sources for listening (more often than my records, CD's, or tapes).  Right now, I have a relatively inexpensive bluetooth adapter routing the music into my preamp from my iphone.   I see all kinds of discussions about DAC's, and there are some fairly expensive high end music streamers out there, supposedly with fantastic DAC's.  Here's my newbie question for you all:  How much better is the sound coming through those high end streaming music devices?  Do I need to be worried about having the best DAC?  I've heard the iphone/Apple DAC is not all that bad.   What about bluetooth?  Am I losing anything by streaming via bluetooth vs. hardwired to the internet?  What's the best way to listen to digital sourced music?  Thanks all for your thoughts.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

These days, a good DAC can be found for not much money. I am using the Dragonfly Red by Audioquest. At $200, it won't break the bank, and I have no complaints.

Wireless probably has gotten better, but I am still skeptical, being from the old ways of telephony.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2
  • Community Admin

I stream via my oppo blueray players. They have excellent built in DACs, and they are fed via cat5e and wifi N.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2
45 minutes ago, Sk1Bum said:

I stream via my oppo blueray players. They have excellent built in DACs, and they are fed via cat5e and wifi N.

Oh, that's a good idea....I hadn't thought about that... thanks.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1
  • 2 months later...

I use the Dragonfly red also to stream Amazon HD (24 Bit) audio.   No, I can't tell the difference between 16 & 24 bit but I enjoy being able to listen to anything I want without using a CD, LP or tape.  However, streaming from an iPhone, the signal output is extremely weak (most noticeable during attempts to record) and the levels are not adequate, in my opinion.  So I'm shopping for a "audio only" DAC receiver which sends a signal comparable to that of a CD player.  

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

I’ve been searching for a ladder dac, I recently found a mass drop Airist DAC for $300. It is often compared to the denafrips  Aires,  been searching for a used Aires when I found the airist!  I am happy so far!

Barry

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2

My Schiit Modi 3 ($99) will playback files up to and including 24/192.  At <$100 a sound product at a sane price. But, if you have the $2500 Yggdrasil is the way to go.  I'm a huge fan

ray