Hello. Refurbing a TFM-25, and thought I'd poke my nose in.

Hello C-Dub, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help.

I'm not really clear on what you're looking for. Are you looking for a tech to do the upgrade for you, or are you looking for direction/help/guidance in doing it yourself? 

Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

• Thank You 1

Oh, doing the repair myself. I tinker in these things.

And what's the current source for the 10000uf 100v caps in these things?- The part number in all the posts comes up Obsolete. I found a pair on eBay, but I dunno if they are gonna be legit- I see lotsa warnings from peeps on these forums about getting fakes. It's the 40x70 snap in with two blank leads flanking the one positive lead. I just found this- Can anybody say anything about this source?: https://www.onlinecomponents.com/en/panasonic/ecet2ap103ea-44479994.html

Thanks, guys!

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Things get foggy for this old man, what am I saying? Thing stay foggy for this old man. I wish I could point you in the right direction, but I've hired all my work done. I learned the hard way that fixing electronics myself ends up with paying more than double to get someone else to fix my fubar. 

Hopefully, one of the resident techs will come along to answer your questions.

• Thank You 1

I have purchased from them without issues.

As time moves forward we keep finding more and more of the big 'lytic caps are no longer available. Sometimes it's a matter of adapting modern caps - or arrays of caps to suit the requirements. Not as simple as a direct drop in, but if you peruse some of the repair and upgrade threads here, you will see a number of substitutions & solutions. 

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

Well, I hope this engineering degree is good for something! I've been tinkering with electronics for decades, so I will be alright for basic maintenance.

I was exactly considering using two or three caps ganged together, Rod! Glad to know that would be relatable to someone else, and I woun't look like a crazed redneck tech when I do that someday.  Thankfully, I will grab a pair from the above listed company.

Cheers!

• Thank You 2

Welcome.jpg.9a1c75b4284876d73fbf32f451a0439b.jpg

Welcome to the site @C-Dub!  can't offer any worthwhile guidance on the parts you may need, other than to agree with others that there are a lot of cases where it becomes necessary to "create" new capacitors out of multiple smaller ones.  I've also seen where some people are creating adapters to allow a newer format cap to be adapted to the footprint of older (now unobtainium) caps.  There are certainly options, and the various tech-oriented among us will help out - as some already have.

In the mean time, please join in the fun, as well as tracking down how to refurb your amp, and enjoy the music.

• Thank You 1

10000uf 100v caps are sold out everywhere especially the 4 lead ones.

there’s only one supplier I know that has 4 lead 10000uf 100v caps but they’re 10 each 

I only use 10000uf 100v caps on m500t builds.

on tfm models I use a increased cap of 12000uf 100v Panasonic’s

i can sell you a set of those for 12 dollars plus shipping 

028483B0-6C66-466E-BACD-E7864A610939.thumb.jpeg.4ff983668c3b245c49256defdc53146e.jpeg

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1