Old guy, Carver newb with Crimson 275 and Sunfire HRS-12

I started this journey in the early to mid 1970's with a Marantz 2270 receiver, Dual 1229 turntable, Rectilinear IIIa speakers and a Sony Cassette deck. I also had a pair of  Klipsch Cornwalls (before the II, III, and IV) but didn't like them for classical music listening.  As time went by, that stuff all got sold or traded and I moved into Audio Research tube equipment, buying some new and some used.  The wife didn't like the ARC bi-amped Tympani IIIa Magneplanar "room dividers" , as she called them, with a set of bass panels, so they got traded for a pair of KEF 105 (no suffix, just original 105) speakers that I still have.  I am sure they probably need to be refoamed.  Over time I got rid of most of the ARC stuff,  some of which I regret, and kept an ARC hybrid SP-8 MKII preamp, paired with a Nelson Pass  designed Threshold S/300 Stasis II 150WPC Solid State amp, which I also still have both and they drive the KEF's now in a secondary system in another room.   

I have long been aware Bob Carver and his equipment, but until recently never owned any of his equipment.  One of my friends owned one of his Phase Linear 200WPC amps and it did sound nice.  I always thought his stuff was high powered SS equipment and didn't realize he had moved into tube architecture.

After a long hiatus from buying HIFI gear, I recently decided to get back into some tube stuff.  After much looking around from cheap Chinese stuff on Amazon, to expensive Conrad-Johnson and Audio Research stuff that just seemed way overpriced, even used, I stumbled upon the made in USA Bob Carver stuff.  Made in USA, Tube, Good power output, Reasonable price, all boxes checked.  So I bought a Bob Carver Crimson 275 amp, driving a pair of  much improved Klipsch Cornwall IV speakers .  I am also running a Sunfire HRS-12 subwoofer and the 10 Octave LP-1 Preamp.  I use a vintage Denon DP-60L turntable with a Denon MC cartridge feeding into a Pro-ject tube box DS2 Phono preamp  since the LP-1 does not have a phono stage.  My tuner in the main system is a vintage late 1980's Sony. S555-ES.   About 5 years ago my Nakamichi CD player from 1984 or so crapped out, so I replaced it with a moderately priced Marantz unit.

Along the way I have also picked up a Fisher 500-C tube receiver which I listen to as background on a pair of inherited Fisher XP-7 bookshelf speakers (not the best but well cared for and look nice) and another Marantz 2270 which sounds terrific through a pair of Klipsch RP600-M bookshelf speakers.   

A shout out to JimClarkStereo.com and Jim for the help with the Crimson 275' and the 10 Octave preamp.   A great business to work with and up to speed on Carver equipment.  

The imaging and sound stage with the 10 Octave LP-1 and the Crimson 275 is stunning.  I started off with just one Crimson 275, running it as a 75WPC stereo amp, and loved the sound so much I went for two of them when Jim Clark told me they could be run with paralleled speaker outputs as monoblocks. The amount of detail and clarity provided by using the 275's as monoblocks has to be heard to be appreciated.  Bass is tight and crisp.  He provided the jumpers and input Y connectors.  Great service.  For the price of the Crimson 275,  Carver hit it out of the park.    Together with the Sunfire HRS-12 sub, I am very pleased with what I have put together and can see myself running out the clock enjoying this setup.

I am a stereo guy, no HT... yet. I look forward to learning and hearing about equipment, improvements, and other peoples experiences on the forum.   Sorry for the long winded intro.

• Thank You 8
  • That Rocks 4

Hello NullPointerException,  and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help.

It's an eventful journey that brought you here, and we know Jim Clark here. @Ar9Jim He's been a member for some time. The developers of the 10 Octave preamps are also members here. @fxbill and @iamjohngalt

Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

• Thank You 2

Welcome.jpg.d2323e3409321965e418808a7a947213.jpg

Welcome to the site!  Love your handle, BTW!

You certainly have a taste for the best gear that can be conjured up for an even remotely tolerable price - very nice setup!   :D

I'm still stuck in the SS world, and afraid to go too deep into the black hole of tubes too much, but I completely understand the allure!

Join in the fun, and as others have suggested, once you get past novice, we'd love to see some pictures of your setup.  Actually, we'd love to hear it, but that doesn't translate so well over the internet.  😉

• Thank You 1

Welcome NullPointerException!!!!!

You and I started out with the same Marantz and Dual but I had AR speakers. Still love the aqua blue glow, big tuning wheel and sariff font of Marantz gear. Good to have you. You will like it here. Lots of good guys that are loads of fun.

• Thank You 1

Welcome @Nullpointer. Thanks for the kind words. 

Thanks for letting me share Bobs work with you. Its always a pleasure.

Enjoy!

Jim Clark

• Thank You 2

• 3 months later...

I have been dreaming of getting a Crimson 275 but I am unable to find an Australian dealer. The cost of importing one myself then getting it modified to run on our 240v 50hz mains would be prohibitively expensive. But then again, if I win the lottery... 😊

• That Rocks 1

• Community Admin

Got to www.JimClarkStereo.com Jim Clark Stereo , here in Rockford, IL, USA.

Jim is a member here, and a super great guy.   He's a personal friend of Bob Carver's, and a dealer for the current line of Carver Tube Amps.

I know he ships all over the world, successfully.

Contact him through the contact-page on that website..., ask about what it takes to ship a 275 to Australia...

He's a straight shooter, and will give you facts.  

Then, you will precisely know what you have to save up for..., and it won't feel like the lottery !  😉 

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1