Quadraphonic?

Dennis47

Anybody else still running a Quad system and collecting Quad vinyl?

Quad vinyl is getting harder and harder to collect in VG++ to EX condition at reasonable prices! 😡😡

Probably doesn't help that I'm also a cover snob. xD

20210331_183107.thumb.jpg.ec5932ecf5bb1be7cf72614d7477b1f7.jpg

Edited by Dennis47
  • Thank You 6
  • That Rocks 5

Dennis,

I remember when Quad equipment was really cheap. To me, it was an obvious choice to buy one for my son when he was in high school. I think that I used it to bi-amp some speakers. It was a Marantz unit, but I forget the model.

I can't wrap my head around the grooves of a 4 channel record, let alone the cartridge needed to read all that. Didn't get to own any quad equipment myself. What are you using for speakers in this system?

• Thank You 1

1. There were several versions of quad, the version I had was cd-4!  Provided four discrete channels not hybrid like other versions!  Found this on the web about cd-4! I wish I would have kept that equipment and quad recordings!

CD-4

This is the “odd man out” in the quad world. Extremely ‘fine’ grooves were etched onto the vinyl record to provide frequencies between 35,000 and 50,000 hertz. The CD-4 demodulator sensed these high frequencies then converted them to a range of around 100 to 15,000 hertz. These frequencies were then sent to the amplifier and on to the rear channels.

Edited by BarryG
  • Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

The Panasonic cartridge that came with my system literature was low like 5 Hz to 50,000 Hz.  What fun the early 70s were!

barry

• That Rocks 2

Barry,

MY Quad amp has the SQA-2 plug-in adaptor. I also have the Marantz model CD-400B (CD-4) disc demodulator component.

I'm using a Pickering UXV w/ D-4500Q stylus for my (shibata) cartridge.  

The 70's are still alive at the house of Dennis47!  😂

Edited by Dennis47
  • That Rocks 2

Yep, I still have the Marantz 4400 Quad Receiver, in its original double box, that I purchased in January 1975 at the Navy Exchange in Yokosuka, Japan when I transferred back to the US. I also have the Marantz SQA-2 Decoder and Marantz RC-4 4-Channel wired remote that I bought with it; both in their original boxes also. And, yes, I still have all of my Quad (SQ and Discrete) LPs that I bought way back then and a JVC Discrete Demodulator.

Edited by Buck115
  • Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 3
  • Love this! 1