Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Posted (edited)

Hey Guys, New topic here...I have many projects going on. I was on Craigslist a few months ago, and saw an ad for this turntable for $25. It was missing the stylus and cartridge, but it looked just peachy! The ad was up for about 39 minutes and I immediately called the guy. I met him, payed him and took the turntable home. Upon research, this is a vintage GEM and Garrard's first direct drive model from what I read. It's also very much sought after. The guy said it worked fine, but again, no cartridge. I took the bottom off to see what this was made of (it obviously has a veneer cherry finish) and it's all pressboard! Really cheesy! So, I bought a nice piece of solid cherry wood (shown under the exploded parts pics) and I'm gonna attempt to re-make the cabinet to MFG specs. Made in England, and made VERY well besides the pressboard. Yep...I'm gonna do it.

Garrard.jpg

Garrard jpeg 2.jpg

garrard jpeg 3.jpg

Garrard jpeg 4.jpg

garrard jpeg 5.jpg

Edited by Drew Losch
add dialog
  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 8

Best part is that you have a template to work with. What thickness of cherry are you going to use?

• That Rocks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2021 at 9:43 AM, 4krow said:

Best part is that you have a template to work with. What thickness of cherry are you going to use?

Yes, it's great having the template. The cherry board I have is 5/8" thick. I'll have to plane it down to around 3/8.

• That Rocks 1

Rather than planning? the stock down to 3/8",  Maybe a forstner bit could be used in those locations where supports need to come through. A router could also assist in burrowing out areas that need it for other parts to fit underneath. I am suggesting that a thicker base may be of value sonically to a thin one.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2
On 6/5/2021 at 11:33 AM, 4krow said:

Rather than planning? the stock down to 3/8",  Maybe a forstner bit could be used in those locations where supports need to come through. A router could also assist in burrowing out areas that need it for other parts to fit underneath. I am suggesting that a thicker base may be of value sonically to a thin one.

Thanks for the comment. That may be true, never thought of the sound sonics. 

5 hours ago, Drew Losch said:

Thanks for the comment. That may be true, never thought of the sound sonics. 

In general,..., you see the higher-end turntables with VERY heavy plinths (bases).  The theory is that the heavier they are, the less vibration they transmit, and therefore you cut back on side-effects frequencies generated by the drive train (direct or belt-driven motors) that might be picked up by the cartridge.  Many high end TT's actually have a separate unit for the motor, that only is physically connected to the TT plinth by the belt, and the table that it sits on..., for example.  

I have an old Kenwood TT that I'm rebuilding, and am replacing the 2in thick vinyl-over-MDF base with hardwood and veneer, and thicker..., the various shapes that the components have to be attached, are just milled deeper, from the bottom-side.

...I'm not a TT expert - so others may pipe in with more theory on this.  But in general, as was suggested, you can go thicker, and heavier, and have positive results.  Reproducing precisely the previous geometry isn't a bad approach, per say - but why not reduce harmonics and vibration and build a more isolated and dampened plinth that theoretically will improve your sound transmission? 

You may already know all this..., just thought I'd put it down in words.

And, of course, if you lightly bump the table or the floor shakes when walking buy, a heavier plinth will not transmit that to the tonearm as much..., as much as a TT that has a lighter plinth.

I can't wait to see pictures of your project !!  There are a lot of other TT projects on the forum..., some really cool ones, too - if you do a search - inspiration !! 😉 

• Thank You 1