Hello from Delaware

Greetings all,

My first thread here on the Carversite.  Very cool site, I've been snooping around it for the past couple of years in preparation for the day when I finally "get around to it" and start working on some Carvers.  I do post occasionally over on AK, as I've been working on vintage Marantz/Pioneer/Dynaco type of stuff.  But clearly the Carver expertise is concentrated over here, after all this is THE Carversite!

I have always admired Bob Carver's designs since I started reading Stereo Review in the late 70's in high school.  I am the original owner of a TFM-25 which I bought new in the early 90's and still have - even still have the original box for it.  Anyway, in the past couple of years I've picked up a few Carver pieces on the cheap:  a C-2, a TX-2, a Carver receiver (MXR-130?), and a second TFM-25...  all of which are totally original and all of which need work. 

I got started with the TX-2:  it was functional, but one look at the power supply board and I could see it was sketchy.  The R501 resistor is a piece of charcoal and once I pulled it, only measures 9.9 ohms instead of the nominal 39.  So going to be doing a repair and recap of the power supply board and then will probably leave it at that if there are no other glaring problems.

Next up I began tearing into the C-2 preamp:  I love the look of it and it seems to be more than worth a little TLC.  Dead on arrival, but I very quickly determined it has an open primary winding on the transformer - not even a blown fuse.  So I will be starting a repair thread here and will try to document my work as I ask questions.  Hopefully the community will be kind enough to guide me if I go off the rails!

Anyway, super glad I found this site and happy to be here - this is an awesome resource and kudos to all the people who have built it up and participated over the years. 

Cheers! - Steve

• Thank You 10

Welcome to the site!

I used to live in Middletown, DE.  I moved from there to WA state in 2014. 

There is alot of good info on the site and the techs are very knowledgeable.  I've learned alot in the 1.5 years I've been following the site. 

Glad you joined us.

• Thank You 1

Hello Glasgow Grip, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help. 

There are many talented techs and DIY folks here. I think you'll fit right in.

Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

• Thank You 1

3 hours ago, Will Meyer said:

...I used to live in Middletown, DE.  I moved from there to WA state in 2014....

Hey Will, I live near Glasgow about 8 miles from Middletown, still in the Appoquinimink school district.  Small world!

2 hours ago, Sk1Bum said:

...Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear....

More than happy to post gear pics when I'm allowed - I was actually just working on a new thread and couldn't figure out how to do it - then I saw the message about needing to reach Novice status - so thanks!

• Thank You 1

Welcome !! Good on you for saving that C-2. Please be sure to reach out to the site if you need anything - lots of folks here are ready and willing to help.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Welcome.jpg.7081f4c424bc4e08e259147b8c28d524.jpg

Welcome to the group, Steve!

You should be able to find willing help, here, with any issues you may wind up with questions over.

Beyond that, please join in the fun, and remember to enjoy the music!