New Member from Tennessee. Just got a set of Amazing Silver Speakers

Been into audio for 30 years. Just picked up a pair of Amazing Silvers and learning all I can about them and especially maintenance and repair.  I'm not an audiophile nor would I want to be. I just enjoy my experience listening to music.   

• Thank You 5
  • That Rocks 4

4 minutes ago, jeremyA said:

I'm not an audiophile nor would I want to be. I just enjoy my experience listening to music.   

Welcome to the site!

You will much happier not being an audiophile!

Good Luck 

• Haha 2

Hello Jeremy, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help.

Carver Amazings of all flavors are popular here. I like the butchered Platinums that I have. 

What other gear do you have?

Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

• Thank You 2

Welcome.jpg.6f48da0c55e361b22dfcf2d041828524.jpg

Welcome to the site!  Nothing like diving into Carver gear at the deep end!

There are certainly folks here who can offer info on getting the most out of those Amazing's and keeping them there.

Once you get a few more posts under your belt, and can, we'd love to see pictures of your setup!

Tale care, and enjoy the music!

• Thank You 2

Welcome to the carver site!

what part of Tennessee? I lived in tri-cities area for over 20 years before moving back to my home state  Of Maryland.  Miss the cool mountain mornings!

Barry

• Thank You 2

• Community Admin

Welcome to the site, @jeremyA.  What parts of TN do you call home?

And, you have opened pandora's box, with those speakers...

If they haven't had the cross-overs refreshed..., that is a pretty straightforward Remove and Replace project you can learn on...

make a list of the parts, go to mouser.com and place an order...

There are schematics for those crossovers in the library on the site..., but beware, there were MANY variations on those crossovers... 

So, best bet is to carefully document what you have in YOUR crossovers, and place an R&R order to get back to what you had. 

Great to have you join the site...

• Thank You 2

4 hours ago, BarryG said:

Welcome to the carver site!

what part of Tennessee? I lived in tri-cities area for over 20 years before moving back to my home state  Of Maryland.  Miss the cool mountain mornings!

Barry

Tricities actually.  Kingsport

• Thank You 1

3 hours ago, AndrewJohn said:

Welcome to the site, @jeremyA.  What parts of TN do you call home?

And, you have opened pandora's box, with those speakers...

If they haven't had the cross-overs refreshed..., that is a pretty straightforward Remove and Replace project you can learn on...

make a list of the parts, go to mouser.com and place an order...

There are schematics for those crossovers in the library on the site..., but beware, there were MANY variations on those crossovers... 

So, best bet is to carefully document what you have in YOUR crossovers, and place an R&R order to get back to what you had. 

Great to have you join the site...

Kingsport.

Yeah pandora's box seems correct based on my research.  I used to have a set of Martin Logan Sequel 2 speakers that I ultimately sold while they were still working properly.  The E-Stat panels were getting harder to come by and $$$$ which seems to be the case on the Carver ribbons. Everywhere I read said that the ribbons play down to around 100hz but the Carver manual on this page says they play full range and the woofers just fill in below 120hz.  That seems crazy.  I haven't dug into the crossover yet to see what is there and what is actually going on.  These are going to be a project for sure.  Woofer refoam and the ribbons are in unknown condition.  but I got them for a steal so I chanced it.  

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 4

23 hours ago, Sk1Bum said:

Hello Jeremy, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help.

Carver Amazings of all flavors are popular here. I like the butchered Platinums that I have. 

What other gear do you have?

Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

I've downsized most of my equipment for a move. I'll be running the Silvers with an Adcom GFA-5500 and may find a preamp to go with it or I may just use my Chromecast audio as an all in one streamer/pre.  I haven't jumped back into vinyl (I'm 45) so it will either be good quality streaming or cds.  I'll have to see how the Adcom does.  Everything Ive read said that the Carvers need a high current plethora of power.  The Adcom did great on my old Logans and never let me down even on those late bourbon driven volume escapades.        I also have a small setup with a Denon integrated, Monitor audio bookshelf speakers and a PSB sub.  

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

One member here named @sea, can probably help if you have ribbon issues.  He can rebuild them as well.  I have a pair of original als hybrids, honeycomb woofers, as and 60” ribbons.

there are a few threads on here about these speakers. 

this is the thread on mine! 

Barry

• Thank You 2

I know Kingsport well!  I travel to Johnson City annually!  I generally try to plan my trip to coincide with Carverfest, sometimes I come in July for my grandsons birthday!

Enjoy your time here on the carversite!  You can learn a lot.  Be careful, lol, OCCD has a way of infecting you, though it seems your already afflicted!  (Obsessive Carver Collecting Disorder = OCCD)

Barry

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 1

Welcome, fellow Tennesseean !! I'm south of you, 30 miles south of Knoxville.

Those speakers are well regarded here. Plenty of information and experience to help you on your journey. Once you get them sorted out you may want to experiment with feeding them more power but that Adcom is a nice unit and may prove to be completely adequate.

Has your 5500 been refreshed? Big caps replaced? It could probably stand for some soldering iron love.

• Thank You 3

On 6/11/2021 at 7:19 AM, B-Man said:

Welcome, fellow Tennesseean !! I'm south of you, 30 miles south of Knoxville.

Those speakers are well regarded here. Plenty of information and experience to help you on your journey. Once you get them sorted out you may want to experiment with feeding them more power but that Adcom is a nice unit and may prove to be completely adequate.

Has your 5500 been refreshed? Big caps replaced? It could probably stand for some soldering iron love.

It looks to have had some work done.  But I'm sure it could use a complete recap.  As soon as I get moved and time I will dive into working on the silvers and the Adcom.  

• That Rocks 3

• Community Admin
7 hours ago, jeremyA said:

As soon as I get moved and time I will dive into working on the silvers and the Adcom. 

And DO share some pictures !!, show your work and many here will support with tech answers and motivational comments. 😉 

• Thank You 1