Long-time lurker, 1st time poster

Hi Carver-fans!

It's amazing to see such a devoted group of followers.  I picked up a used M500t off of C/L back in 2015 or so and have been enjoying it since.  I have it running a warmed up pair of Polk 10Bs.  It is currently fed by an Adcom GFP-565 Pre.  I have a C-2 but it will needs a thorough cleaning.

Anyway, within the last 30 minutes, my M500t was delivered to Greg for the mkII upgrade!  I always felt like the left channel was louder than the right, and upon power up, there has always been this short "bungggg..." sound from the chassis.  I felt it was time to get this done!  I'm excited!

It's good to be here,

Thanks,

Dan

• Thank You 6
  • That Rocks 6

Hello dano266,

Welcome and thank you for joining in. The mkII upgrade is a very nice upgrade to the M500t, and Greg's work is impeccable. You won't be sorry. I've run a pair of Polk Monitor 10 Series 2 with the upgraded M-500t, and to my ears, it's a great match. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

It's good to have you!

giphy.gif

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Welcome.jpg.82f4efd8f07aa8d6f850cc43704a5116.jpg

Welcome to the Limelight, Dan!  Glad you stepped out of the shadows.

Odds are you won't believe that what you get back is the same amp you sent, but then, it essentially isn't going to be - other than the sound characteristics, of course.  :D

Do you have anything to tide you over until Greg finishes his magic, or are you stuck with headphones until the beast returns, home?

I'll hold off on my usual suggestion to "enjoy the music" until I know you are back and able to do that!  For now, join in the forums - you know, by now, which of us are crazy enough to avoid.  8--- :D 

• Thank You 2

9 minutes ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

Do you have anything to tide you over until Greg finishes his magic, or are you stuck with headphones until the beast returns, home?

Ah, yes, I have a lowly old Yamaha CR-620 receiver hooked up to the Fluance RT-85 in the meantime.  It's pretty clean and all original and does a fair job of filling in for now.  

• That Rocks 2

• Community Admin

Welcome, @danno266, glad you joined.  Lurking - we have a lot of those too - but the participants - they are the cream of the crop, and the best - welcome, now you are one of us! 

the "bunggg" noise you hear is interesting..., (if it's the same sound I hear in my amps)..., sometimes (I've heard) it can be reduced, other times, it's been suggested it's from the power inrush at turn-on, ... I have a pair of refreshed Carver Silver 9t monoblocks that makes that sound when I turn them on.  The tech that did the work (member here) said not to worry..., 

HOWEVER like said earlier by @Brian_at_HHH, you will be blown-away at the way your amp performs and sounds, when you get it back from @Nahash5150 at Nelion.  Greg will for sure look into the "Bunggg" noise... 😉 

• Thank You 2

4 minutes ago, AndrewJohn said:

the "bunggg" noise you hear is interesting..., (if it's the same sound I hear in my amps)..., sometimes (I've heard) it can be reduced, other times, it's been suggested it's from the power inrush at turn-on, ... I have a pair of refreshed Carver Silver 9t monoblocks that makes that sound when I turn them on.  The tech that did the work (member here) said not to worry..., 

Thank you!  The noise is quite minor, but no other piece of equipment I own does anything similar.  It only last a second and doesn't seem to harm anything. 

I'm positive Greg will notice it, and if he deems it "normal" then I will certainly worry no more.

• Thank You 2

Welcome !! Nice system set-up. I've wanted a set of 10Bs for a long time. I love my Polks - they work well with my M1.0ts.

The noise might be reduced when Greg replaces the power supply caps. If he finds it's unusual you can rest assured he will get to the root of the issue.

Good news is if it has been doing that for 30 years and it still plays it hasn't hurt the mag coil.

• Thank You 1

• 1 month later...

I have wonderful news...

It's been a little over a week since my 500 has found it's way home.  Unpacked, reconnected, and powered up!  The power on noise I previously mentioned now sounds much more refined than before.  It passed Greg's test, so I'm confident it's completely normal and must be the mag coil being energized.

The "new" amp sounds exquisite, much clearer and the music is more defined.  My Polk 10Bs seem to love their "new" power provider, and play considerably louder than before.

I'm very happy!  Thanks again Greg!

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1
  • Love this! 3