Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Xfinity modem matchup

Posted (edited)

I am looking to get rid of the rental modem for my xfinity and buy a modem and wifi thingy. I have quite a few devices connected at one time, guessing around 5 to 10 throughout the day. I think my speed is advertised at 200mbps download. 

Any ideas guys on some good equipment that would last a few years even if there were an upgrade in the future to maybe 1 gig? 

Edited by Rob
  • Thank You 1
  • Community Admin

Most modems will tell you if they work with Xfinity.  If they don't mention Xfinity, I would assume they don't.

If you're considering upgrading speed, you'll need to make sure the modem standard is DOCSIS 3.1. DOCSIS 3.0 won't get you up to 1gbs speed.

I went with an Arris modem when I bought my own. I made all the network connections, powered it up. When I launched my browser, I was directed to the cable company website, entered some info, and all was good. I've had the modem about a year, zero problems with it.

• Thank You 4

I run two separate Xfinity accounts in my home (work - personal)

For work I have the Xfinity gigabyte modem/router. It does a great job.

For home I use the Netgear Nighthawk RAX120 and an EAX80 (second access point.)

I needed to have dedicated 2.4 and 5 connections to support my older Sonos gear.

I have an unmanaged switch out of my router for all of my ethernet runs.

The Nighthawk is NOT as reliable as the Xfinity modem/router.

• Thank You 2
Posted (edited)

Go over to best buy, they will set you up. I went with an Aries modem and nighthawk router. Worked pretty good, then I upgraded to the gigabyte package and the modem was only rated for 3.0 and I needed 3.1 so I'm back to rental for now. This new one they have out seems to work really well. 

Edited by gburke
  • Thank You 2

Look into Ubiquiti if you want future proofing. Separate your router, switch(s) and AP's and you can upgrade each according to your needs. 

Are all of your devices wifi or some ethernet?

• Thank You 1
24 minutes ago, KPT said:

Are all of your devices wifi or some ethernet?

Everything is Wifi

• Thank You 1
22 hours ago, Sk1Bum said:

Most modems will tell you if they work with Xfinity.  If they don't mention Xfinity, I would assume they don't.

If you're considering upgrading speed, you'll need to make sure the modem standard is DOCSIS 3.1. DOCSIS 3.0 won't get you up to 1gbs speed.

I went with an Arris modem when I bought my own. I made all the network connections, powered it up. When I launched my browser, I was directed to the cable company website, entered some info, and all was good. I've had the modem about a year, zero problems with it.

Does the 3.1 modem have a built in router and do you have a model number?

• Thank You 1
  • Community Admin

Mine does not. I have an old reliable Linksys router.

The model number on my Arris is SB8200.

A search on the Arris web site for "xfinity docsis 3.1" returned the following link, but there's no mention of xfinity compatibility. If you're interested in it, I'd call Arris to make sure it's compatible.

https://shop.surfboard.com/surfboard-sbg8300-docsis-3-1-wireless-cable-modem-with-ac2350-wifi/

If you have VOIP telephone needs, this one specifically mentions Xfinity compatibility, but no wifi. You'd need to buy a router if you don't have one:

https://shop.surfboard.com/surfboard-t25-docsis-3-1-emta-cable-modem-telephony/

I hope that helps.

• Thank You 2

Like your stereo HiFi gear, I recommend separates...  Get a Cable modem to drop that dang rental fee, and then consider what kind of WiFi router and Switches (for more ethernet-cable-connected devices) for your printers, and smart appliances..., etc.  Others are really loving these modular "mesh" systems, like "Orbi" - especially if you like everything to be wifi... (I have a lot of trouble with that, and devices getting forgotten... so I like wired devices, whenever possible).

Brands are like religion..., I have used many of them, over the past two decades, Aires, Cisco, ... a long list.  I settled on Netgear..., and their latest is getting more management tools to eliminate having to be an IT guru..., I recently upgraded, and was pretty amazed at how automatic and easy the configuration went.

My netgear Cable modem is DOCSIS® 3.1 Cable Modem (CM1200)  It handles two accounts (like Itch's @itchitch setup, so you can have two separate xfinity accounts (networks) hanging off it (one coax coming into it).

My WiFi router (next component in the chain) is a AX5400 WiFi Gaming Router (XR1000).

For ethernet connection and distribution, I have three NETGEAR Nighthawk S8000 8-Port Gigabit Smart Managed Plus Gaming Switch (GS808E), one for upstairs, one for the main floor, and one for the basement, hanging off the wifi router.  (all devices that are ethernet-wired for stream, game, print, scan, etc. are hanging off) 

my security system is also attached to the router.

WiFi then is only taxed by wifi devices, like phones and tablet.  If it's capable of being wired, I wire it to a switch.  Just my philosophy for network topology.

This set up supports multi-gigabit transmission - and service from Xfinity.

For compatible routers with gigibit service - for future-proofing (your question) - all the major providers have on their website a list of compatible devices for Xfinity - and the speed is printed on the box..., very few new devices, if any, are NOT gig-speed capable...

I know someone suggested getting advice from BestBuy..., maybe in your area that's a good idea..., for me, I can attest to the fact that our best buy staff are completely clueless..., I strongly suggest doing your own research..., and buying after you know what to get for your needs.  I take most of the things back and return them, that I have bought at Best Buy due to misdirection and bad advice.

Here's the link to Xfinity Compatible cable modems - "Approved" by Xfinity:  https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/list-of-approved-cable-modems

Welcome to the next technology journey of your life... 😉 

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Great information guys. I appreciate the feedback and also there was a modem that I think @Nahash5150 mentioned to me one time that actually uses cellular service for a back up if the internet goes down. 

What was the name of that one Greg?

• Thank You 1

Cradlepoint 4G modem. They are made for Verizon OR AT&T last I checked - so be careful with the that. They are a great company.

I use a Netgear XR500 router for the whole house wi-fi and LAN. I have a couple of switches and hot spots as well. IMO it's best to have your own router and switches on your local network and don't use the modem for such things. Just let the modem do modem things. I like Netgear because it's tweakable for geeks, but also PnP for normal people.

I have 1G fiber optic now, so I only use the Cradlepoint for emergency backup.

giphy.gif

• Thank You 3

I use a Motorola 8600 cable modem with a PFSense firewall and Dell switches with ASUS routers as Wireless access points for my different networks. I have always used my own modems and routers/waps because I didn’t want to pay the rental and I wanted control of the device to adjust for my own use. The pay for themselves in less than 3 years, usually in two.  I had to call and give them my modem Mac and once they typed it in I got connected.  I enjoy the flexibility I have with this setup. They provide the service, I do what I want to with it……grin

• Thank You 1

As mentioned already, I have a similar setup of separate devices, Cable Modem --> Ethernet/WiFi Router --> Ethernet Switch --> End Device.

For the past 15+ years that I've been on Comcast/Xfinity, I've owned the cable modem that was used.

Initially this was a Motorola SB5100, which was replaced with an Arris SB6141 (DOCSIS 3.0) at least 5yrs ago which is sufficient for the 120Mbps down/6Mbps up connection I get.

(There's some business arrangement between Arris and Motorola where one owns the other so I tend to consider them the same company.)

This is wired via Ethernet cable to an Asus RAC88U Ethernet/WiFi Router (again at least 5+ yrs old), which in turn is wired via Ethernet cable to several unmanaged 1Gbps Ethernet Switches throughout the house.

I try and have any stationery device that can be wired, wired to free up WiFi bandwidth for mobile devices.

• Thank You 3
On 7/10/2021 at 2:22 PM, AndrewJohn said:

If it's capable of being wired, I wire it to a switch. 

This is the way. 

I pulled several runs of CAT5 and CAT6 to every room in my house and the detached garage. If it has an ethernet jack, it's on ethernet. 

Thermostat and phone are the only things on wifi. 

While we're on the subject, everyone should be running a pihole on their network. 

• Thank You 3
9 hours ago, KPT said:

While we're on the subject, everyone should be running a pihole on their network. 

Tell us more about Pi-Hole?

• Thank You 1
18 hours ago, KPT said:

Just Googled and took a brief peek … gonna have to do some research here, but thank you for the tip!  Very intriguing 

• Thank You 1
On 7/12/2021 at 6:35 AM, AndrewJohn said:

Tell us more about Pi-Hole?

Local DNS server on your network. Blocks tracking and ad servers. 

Just took this screenshot of mine:

image.thumb.png.42714e0322d25c627db06522a3e00390.png

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1