Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Amplification:

Marantz SR5015 (for processing/pre-amp duties)
Sunfire TGA-7401-230

Carver A-753x (currently not connected but too pretty to hide away)
Carver M-200T (ditto)

Speakers:

Vaf DC-X mains
Vaf DC-6 centre
Vaf DC-1 Atmos (not true Atmos speakers but repurposed for the job)
Vaf DC-2 rears (out of frame)
Monitor Audio ASW-210 subwoofer

Input Devices:
Thorens TD-160 Super Turntable with Rega RB300 Tonearm & Adcom HCE High Output Moving Coil Cartridge & Platter Matter Mat
Rotel RCD-855 CD Player with Simply Physics Isodrive
Sony KD-65X9000H LED TV
Panasonic DP-UB820GNK 4K BD Player
Panasonic DMR-BWT800 Blu-Ray Recorder
Kogan KABRP3D4KUA 3d Upscaling Blu-ray Player (this will play DVDs & BDs from any region)
Foxtel IQ4 Digital Satellite Decoder/DVR (pay TV)
AerialBox T2200 DVR (FTA TV)
Topfield TRF-2400 Masterpiece HD DVR (FTA TV)
Wintal DAB20C Internet & DAB+ Radio

DSC00371s.JPG

Driver arrangement in the Vaf DC-X speakers. I believe they are SEAS drivers modified for Vaf:

cones.jpg

Edited by mddawson
  • Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 7

Thanks for sharing. Very nice set-up.

Your turntable looks kind of sad back there, like you put it in time out.  🙂

Get rid of that TV and move it to front and center so everyone can see it !!!

Seriously - nice system.

• Thank You 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, B-Man said:

Thanks for sharing. Very nice set-up.

Your turntable looks kind of sad back there, like you put it in time out.  🙂

Get rid of that TV and move it to front and center so everyone can see it !!!

Seriously - nice system.

Thanks

The turntable doesn't get much use as I replaced most of my records with CDs over the years. The records I have left are mostly titles never released on CD.

My wife on the other hand has a lot of records but I won't play them on the Thorens because, prior to meeting me, she never looked after them. She played them on a cheap all in one system that used a ceramic cartridge on an unbalanced arm. She also sprayed the records with some silicon based record lubricant that only caused the dust to stick in the grooves. Playing her records sounds like dragging a stylus over gravel. (Note to self, don't let her read this :) )

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1
  • Haha 1
  • FacePalm 1

nice rig!

I am intrigued about the videos laying down vs. standing ... never dawned on me to do something like that.

blue ray vs. dvd's divided up?  divided by music / movies?

• Thank You 2
6 hours ago, Scrappy said:

nice rig!

I am intrigued about the videos laying down vs. standing ... never dawned on me to do something like that.

blue ray vs. dvd's divided up?  divided by music / movies?

Thanks

The arrangement is watched and unwatched DVDs. Initially I had unwatched DVDs standing up but sticking out a bit. Then one day a visitor decided to start pushing them in so I laid them down after that.

As for organizing categories, those in the photo are English language movies & TV series. I have another shelf for German DVDs (my wife is Austrian). Music DVDs are in a cupboard with my CDs. Documentaries are in another room and I have a lot of anime  shelved in the corridor to the bedrooms. I used to take advantage of the annual Right Stuf anime sales. This and the German DVDs is the reason for the all-region blu-ray player.

• Thank You 2
11 hours ago, mddawson said:

The arrangement is watched and unwatched DVDs. Initially I had unwatched DVDs standing up but sticking out a bit. Then one day a visitor decided to start pushing them in so I laid them down after that.

That is pure Genius !!!

• Thank You 1
  • Love this! 1
  • 4 weeks later...

System update. After thinking about it for a while, I worked out a way to have better access to my turntable. Unfortunately it means putting my unused Carver amps into storage.
I have added a 19" rack mount sliding shelf to my system stand. This way the turntable can be stored neatly out of the way then pulled out for use.
I still have to purchase a suitable piece of MDF board for the turntable to rest on but we are currently in lockdown so it may take a few weeks to get it.
I will cover the MDF with felt contact and also cover the stands uprights to prevent the turntable getting scuffed when slide in and out.

Here is the shelf fully retracted into the system stand.

DSC00426.JPG

Edited by mddawson
  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1
4 minutes ago, mddawson said:

The shelf fully out. Although the shelf is quite sturdy and rated for double the weight of the turntable, I will also get a block of wood to place under the shelf as additional support.

DSC00427.JPG

Edited by mddawson
  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2
2 hours ago, mddawson said:

get a block of wood to place under the shelf as additional support

Very Cool Idea - one that I have been pondering for years. 

Don't forget to take into consideration that TT's need to be perfectly level (you have carpet under that extended shelf)...

I'm not trying to be a PITA - just dealing with a few TT issues, myself, that are very specific and corrected by leveling.  And, thought I'd mention it in case you might encounter some of the same issues.

I've always wanted a shelf idea like that..., and was approaching it with some of the super heavy-duty drawer-slide hardware now available for hard-core use (like that in drawers for tool roll-aways, and bigger...,).  The Ball Bearings and vertical stout-ness of these once installed with 6+ screws in a rigid frame, can support a vibration dampening piece of granite, layered with sorbathane, and another piece of granite... (requires a little more design - and I'm not there yet...)

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Thank You 2
3 hours ago, AndrewJohn said:

Very Cool Idea - one that I have been pondering for years. 

Don't forget to take into consideration that TT's need to be perfectly level (you have carpet under that extended shelf)...

I'm not trying to be a PITA - just dealing with a few TT issues, myself, that are very specific and corrected by leveling.  And, thought I'd mention it in case you might encounter some of the same issues.

I've always wanted a shelf idea like that..., and was approaching it with some of the super heavy-duty drawer-slide hardware now available for hard-core use (like that in drawers for tool roll-aways, and bigger...,).  The Ball Bearings and vertical stout-ness of these once installed with 6+ screws in a rigid frame, can support a vibration dampening piece of granite, layered with sorbathane, and another piece of granite... (requires a little more design - and I'm not there yet...)

This is the shelf I am using. https://www.swamp.net.au/swamp-1u-19-rack-mount-sliding-shelf  I have seen exactly the same shelf available in the US.

It is rated for 20kg / 44lb distributed load so it should comfortably hold the 11kg / 24lb of my Thorens turntable. I have tested it and it did not appear to droop at all.
I was thinking of gluing the pictured foam rubber to the MDF to reduce vibrations transferring into the turntable.

• Thank You 1
  • 1 month later...

Correction on the Vaf DC-X speakers. I just found the following information posted by Vaf on another forum:

Hey there,

that's a GEN3 DC-X, circa 1995-2000. One of our most popular models ever. Thousands built and shipped all over the place.

Twin Fibreglass 8" bass/mid and a horn loaded Audax tweeter. High sensitivity at 96dB/W

One of the first cross overless designs, one capacitor on the tweeter (and a padding resistor).

We still make the occasional replacement grille sock for these. There's also a retrofit for the bass/mids that we've done to fit the newer GEN4 Kevlar woofers - the original Audax 8" drivers are no longer available as replacements.

dcx.png

More information on the Vaf DC-X speakers. I am guessing these Australian designed and built speakers would be virtually unknown in the US:

VAF DC-X (Gen 3: 1995-2000)  ---  (NOTE: Vaf DC-X Gen 6 speakers are being released on 14 October 2021)

Product Info

VAFs new DC-X represents a genuine performance breakthrough. Advanced acoustic and mechanical design have yielded a speaker with awesome dynamic capabilities, coupled with flat frequency and phase response, and exceptional imaging. The DC-Xs high sensitivity allows it to deliver true Audiophile performance when coupled to low power amplifiers such as Single Ended Triode designs. It is equally at home with High Power Home Theatre systems where its unrestricted dynamic range, high power handling and extended low frequency response will fill almost any room with clean, detailed sound at very high SPLs.

Description

The DC-X is a Large Floor Standing 3 Driver 2 Way Speaker. It contains 2 x 210mm Composite Fibreglass Bass / Mid drivers with edge wound voice coil wires and 'T' shaped pole pieces. These are heavily modified to control their native response and are teamed with a 25mm Load Coupled Dome tweeter. The tweeter is time aligned with the bass drivers to optimise phase and impulse responses. Internal damping is provided by a complex arrangement of H2 Hypersoft and D3 materials. Numerous natural fibre pads are fitted to accurately control dispersion and diffraction. Cabinets are manufactured from MDF and feature a unique tapered lossy line design. Finish is a high quality fine textured black on the top and base, with a fine black cloth front, back and sides.

Application

Unlike many speakers, the DC-X is flexible in its positioning. It may be used in small, medium or large rooms and should be positioned at least 10cm from the rear wall. The DC-X is the ideal choice for use as the Main speakers in a very high quality Surround Sound system. It is also perfect for high power systems where very high sound quality is required at high levels, or for low powered Audiophile systems, where high quality and high efficiency are demanded.

Specifications

Frequency Range 25Hz-20kHz (35Hz-20Khz +/-2dB)
Phase Response +/-5 Degrees (100Hz-20Khz)
Sensitivity 95dB/W @ 1m
Nominal Impedance 6 ohms
Amplifier Power 10-200W RMS
Dimensions (mm) 1260 H x 266 W x 335 D
Weight 65kg per pair

MAIN FEATURES:

High Sensitivity. 95 dB/W/M. Can achieve high sound pressure levels with almost any amplifier including low power single ended and push-pull valve amplifiers.

High Power handling. 200 W. May be used with audiophile or home theatre amplifiers from 10W to 200W per channel. 

Flat Frequency response. 35Hz to 20KHz +/- 2db. Realistic tonal accuracy offering fatigue free listening at any level for long periods.

Extended low frequency. 3db at 31Hz. Rich, powerful and tuneful bass for fully expressing the low frequency content of music or home theatre.

Flat Phase response. +/- 5 Degrees. This is amongst the best phase responses of any loudspeakers in the world at any price. Imaging and sound staging are consequently of the highest order.

Low stored energy. 15db at most frequencies in 0.2ms. Very fast and transparent sound and excellent transient response. Unlike many other loudspeakers the decay is even across most of the audio spectrum.

Smooth electrical impedance. Nominal 5 ohms. Very little deviation across the entire audio range ensures a good match to all modern amplifiers including high output impedance valve types. 

charts.jpg

Edited by mddawson
  • Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1