Worlds largest record collection

Audioquest

Interesting story.  I'll bet he has a few that zumbini doesn't have.emwink.gif
He probably has a few MILLION records I don't have.... eusa_shifty.gif

Thanks for the link Audioquest!

Hey!  Did you see the way that guy "pawed" the most valuable record in his collection?  I recognize him now -- THAT is the guy who "borrowed" my Miles Davis records in 1965 and never gave them back!

But seriously, I can't imagine that anyone will ever pay his $53,000,000 asking price.  If he's got 1,000,000 records, then he's valuing  his records at $53 each. 

You know, for every "valuable" record in his collection he has to have hundreds of worthless records that nobody would want. Those Christmas albums that you could buy at the tire stores are a good example. Like he said, most of those records were "leftovers" in the store that failed to sell, so he kept them in an "archive."  I'm sure his store's accountant wrote them all off as worthless inventory.

I hate to say it, but just because a collection is large doesn't mean it is good.  There's got to be a lot of junk in there that serious collectors would never want. I think he'd be smart to separate the wheat from the chaff, and sell off the valuable portions of his collection before he dies, and while he can still enjoy the money.  You know what will happen once he's gone -- his wife get rid of it all, lock stock and barrel -- without discriminating between the good stuff and the bad stuff.   His wife will throw away his lifetimes work, giving it away for nothing to anyone who will haul it all away, just go get that "crap" out of their hair.

Remember this guys -- its the same thing that's going to happen to all of our stuff after we're gone...

I *KNOW* it will happen to my gear.    To prevent valuable stuff from getting thrown away, i've started to keep a database that tracks what I pay for things when I buy them, what they're worth when I buy them, and what they've been worth at other times.  (both bid and ask prices).  I hate the idea that my stuff will be thrown out, or sold in a yard sale for 25-cents.  I don't expect anyone who's left when I'm gone to get paid top dollar for my "junk", but I don't want them to get taken, either.  I'd like them to get the fair market bid price for all of my stuff ... the problem is that nobody else has the patience to deal with someone else's collection of crap, so the temptation is to just blow it all out for next to nothing, or to just throw it all away...

20 years ago I made provisions in my will for my gear and music collection to go to my youngest brother.
Now that his system is as good as mine (probably better) I amended my will to leave it to my son.

I also keep a database of my hardware AND software.

Hey!  Did you see the way that guy "pawed" the most valuable record in his collection?  I recognize him now -- THAT is the guy who "borrowed" my Miles Davis records in 1965 and never gave them back!

But seriously' date=' I can't imagine that anyone will ever pay his $53,000,000 asking price.  If he's got 1,000,000 records, then he's valuing  his records at $53 each. 

You know, for every "valuable" record in his collection he has to have hundreds of worthless records that nobody would want. Those Christmas albums that you could buy at the tire stores are a good example. Like he said, most of those records were "leftovers" in the store that failed to sell, so he kept them in an "archive."  I'm sure his store's accountant wrote them all off as worthless inventory.

I hate to say it, but just because a collection is large doesn't mean it is good.  There's got to be a lot of junk in there that serious collectors would never want. I think he'd be smart to separate the wheat from the chaff, and sell off the valuable portions of his collection before he dies, and while he can still enjoy the money.  You know what will happen once he's gone -- his wife get rid of it all, lock stock and barrel -- without discriminating between the good stuff and the bad stuff.   His wife will throw away his lifetimes work, giving it away for nothing to anyone who will haul it all away, just go get that "crap" out of their hair.

Remember this guys -- its the same thing that's going to happen to all of our stuff after we're gone...

[/quote']

bob - It was a little hard to read, but I think it said his price was $3,000,000. Probably a fair price…if you have a place to put it all.

I love this guy! I don’t agree with everything he said, but the guy is a genuine music lover. I was sort of a record hound for many years, going to collector’s conventions once or twice a month. I used to hit all the record shops in every town where I was sent traveling for work. I did a lot more looking than buying; I just liked the feeling of being around all that musical history. I wish I’d done a lot more buying, because almost all of those stores are gone now. It’s really sad. It would be a shame to see that collection dismantled.

... just watched the video. A friend of mine asked me to sell off part of HIS record collection.10,000 albums. 3800 lbs! I got him $10,000.00 for them on eBay. I built the crates and packed them on to an 18 wheeler. Went to Vancouver, BC. In there was the most valuable record in the video, Rolling Stones' RSD-1, the US demo album. My friend had worked at radio stations in the '60's and  '70's and bought  it, played it once to record it on to reel to reel, put it away, played it one more time to record it on CD. It was as close to MINT as you can get. Most of them got played to destruction at radio stations. I remember that my friend had a data base of the ones for sale, I pasted it on to an eBay listing and it DID NOT FIT! I didn't know there was a character limit... I could only fit up to Fleetwood Mac. The rest was referenced to a web posting. It was an insane amount of vinyl. He still has over 15,000  albums in his cellar. I think he gave me $500 for my efforts. I still remember filling my van and trailer to get them to the loading dock.

bobp wrote:
"Remember this guys -- its the same thing that's going to happen to all of our stuff after we're gone... "

Hope that the "world ends" (sun goes nova, new ice age, 10 mi wide comet strikes the earth, etc.) BEFORE you die! That solves that problem! happy0009.gifeusa_doh.gifand no one will be doing ANYTHING with your "stuff" after you've gone. Or, just before you go senile (or as Neil Young says "before time took away his head.."), burn all your stuff in a big bon fire!