Best music Youtuber I’ve come across - Rick Beato

Daddyjt

I thoroughly enjoy this guys videos. His explanation of notes and music theory are at times hard for me to follow, but I find it informative nonetheless. I also love the fact that he can play just about any guitar (very well), bass, piano, and even drums. Also, he’s spent a significant amount of time as a music producer.  I always come away from one of his videos knowing more than I did before I watched it. 

Here are a few of his videos that I have particularly enjoyed:

• Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 3
  • Love this! 2

Agree.  I watch his videos all the time.  Dude knows music theory like no one else on YT that I've seen.  (And his son is a freaking prodigy to the nth degree--able to name notes as they are played--even intervals and chords--as quickly as they come.  I come across so many people in my business who think they have perfect pitch, and they are invariably completely delusional.  But he taught his son from such an early age, the kid is a pitch prodigy--true perfect pitch.  And he himself is very accomplished too, naming notes by relative pitch--and that in itself is no small feat).

But I love his "What Makes this Song Great" series too!

Ps.  Gotta say, I like your Solzhenitsyn quote too!  The Gulag Archipelago is must reading.

Edited by garyh
  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2

Here's a video of his I found just recently and was delighted.  (It's on his other YT channel--Rick Beato 2).  They list 10 "Perfect Albums."  There are a few I might not be on board with but overall, great list. 

When Rick announced Genesis's "A Trick of the Tail" as one of his picks for a perfect album, it made me like him even more.  It's one of my favorites.  Def. best Genesis album sans Gabriel and overall, musically, probably their best, IMO.  I listen to this CD all the time, man, and it's one of the first album covers I framed years ago.  Dance on a Volcano just plain rocks; one of my all-time favorite songs.  I love Rutherford's bass work--all those sustained, low bass notes that make your body literally buzz--and the house shake.  Engineered to perfection.

And Beato did a "What Makes this Song Great" video for Dance on a Volcano too--also worth watching.

Late edit to remove their actual picks - occurs to me some might want to watch and be surprised!  Sorry!

Edited by garyh
  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

I've watched a lot of his videos as well.  I like his enthusiasm.  I envy his ability to play by ear and figure stuff out on the fly.

I enjoyed this video and the story he tells

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

2 hours ago, Balok said:

..I envy his ability to play by ear and figure stuff out on the fly...

Yea, it’s crazy when he plays the Spotify top ten, and there will be a song from some rapper or tween singer, and he’ll just create a guitar part on the fly, and play along…

• That Rocks 1

Agree, he and his channel is a real treasure, very interesting the way he points out and explain the ''construction'' of music. 

He also helped me to gain more respect for different musicians of other genres than what i usually listen to.  

• Thank You 1

The interviews–Pat Metheny,  Gary Burton, Larry Carlton, Sting, Robben Ford, etc.– delving into the creative process, songwriting,  music past, present and future, in an attentive, intelligent, informed conversation is ne plus ultra to my unschooled  ears. 🙏

• Love this! 2

Like many of you, I thoroughly enjoy watching Rick's videos, but I do have to admit, his abilities scare me.  He has an intimate understanding of music that boggles my mind.  He's got more knowledge and understanding in his little toe that I have in 50+ years of attempting to learn to play.  But, he is always entertaining even on the level of someone who can't keep pace with the theory parts, and he doesn't treat the audience as beneath him.  Totally cool dude, and fun to watch.

• Thank You 2
  • Love this! 1