Get Back

SteveFord

Quality over quantity and one for each episode so it all works out.

In part 2, did you see John start to take something out of his coat pocket, he realized the camera on him and he quickly put it back?

Edited by SteveFord

Been a fan since I watched them on Ed Sullivan!  Grew up to their music!  By high school Beatles they were broke up, by that time I had dived head first into a wide variety of music.

Barry

Edited by BarryG

• Community Admin

10 hours ago, Balok said:

There are only 3 Beatles fans on this site.

I need to stop drinking..., I fell asleep 10 minutes into the first one...

I didn't go crazy for the Beatles back then..., or now. I like a lot of their music and can listen to it but am not rabid about any of it.

Like @BarryG, My tastes were, and are, still much broader.

I'll watch it, so I can check it off, and know what it's all about, but won't watch it twice.

• Thank You 1
  • FacePalm 1

I watched the first episode and I am a big Beatles fan but I am not sure how interesting this would be to the casual fan since it was more about the creation of the songs rather than hearing the polished\finished versions.  Enjoyable for me none the less.

1 hour ago, Walrus Gumboot said:

I watched the first episode and I am a big Beatles fan but I am not sure how interesting this would be to the casual fan since it was more about the creation of the songs rather than hearing the polished\finished versions.  Enjoyable for me none the less.

Agreed.  You have to be interested in the bigger picture of the Beatles to really appreciate this documentary.  I saw the Let It Be movie about 30 years ago and enjoyed it so I was looking forward to seeing more footage.  I had rented the Let It Be movie on VHS and later wanted to purchase it but NEVER saw it again available at any movie rental store or HMV or anything.  I think it was pulled for some reason.

Steve:  I maybe saw that lennon-pocket-incident but didn't pay much attention.  I will look for it the second, or third or fourth time i watch it.

3 hours ago, AndrewJohn said:

Like @BarryG, My tastes were, and are, still much broader.

I think most of us have pretty broad tastes in music.  That is not a reason to poo poo this Beatles documentary.  I would also watch a 6 hour documentary about Dave Brubeck recording Time Out, or Miles Davis recording Kind of Blue, etc.  As an amateur  guitar player, I am interested in watching how other people did it.  

• Thank You 2

My guess is that they didn't work like they did in this movie prior to Yoko coming on the scene.

They were really under the gun to come up with stuff with all the cameras on them, just taking basic ideas and writing it on the fly.

If you're not a Beatles fan it would be pretty dull to sit through 6 hours of it.  

One thing I learned is that Apple Scruffs was about the fans hanging around outside the studio.   Not the most flattering thing to be called by your heroes but oh well.

Yes it was a pretty ambitious project to take on.  They would have completely fallen apart if they hadn't of had Yoko's binding force there all of the time.  She was the glue holding the whole thing together.

• Haha 3

Watched part 3 last night.  Very good except for some reason Peter Jackson thought we wanted to see Linda's daughter fooling around the studio and mostly just getting in the way for a full 20 minutes at the beginning.  A few shots would have been sufficient.

The rooftop performance was excellent for sound and pic quality.  When it came right down to it, the boys played and sang wonderfully.  I liked how the Apple front end staff delayed the 14 year old looking London bobby from gaining access to the roof too soon.  

I'll probably watch it tomorrow, today it was work and I'm a little under the weather.

Have surgery coming up on 12/22, The Alien is living in my guts.

Fun fun fun!

I've seen a little bit of the roof top stuff before, they really were the best rock band ever.

No real virtuosos in the group but they had a magic to them which nobody else has ever come close to matching.

I kept waiting for another Beatles to come along and then finally realized they're one and done.

I'm about half-way through.  I find Yoko’s presence just plain creepy; like a malevolent wraith—at times seemingly unseen, but felt in the room, like those long-haired phantoms in Japanese horror flicks.  There’s an aggressive posture about her, too.  I get the feeling John would have been fine without her; he and Paul seem to get along well for the most part.  I don’t get the sense that she is a security blanket for him, but rather, there for her own (power construct) reasons, while John yields.  But then, he must know that her attendance is, at the very least, awkward for the other members, so maybe there’s some passive-aggression there too.

I'm not even a huge Beatles fan—I came of age after their breakup and never really fell into them—but even I watch this and can’t help disliking her for what she apparently did to the band.  One has to wonder what might have happened with them had John not met her—a few more great albums?  (But maybe no “Imagine)?”  Who knows?  But then again, I can’t begrudge John for living his life, following his heart—and he obviously loved her.  Just seems sad that she had to be such an odd duck.

Otherwise, it’s an interesting documentary; watching as they cobble together and finish the songs.  So much talent there, all around.  It seems to me they should have given George more songwriting support and encouragement.  As someone in the first episode says, he feels like an outsider as a songwriter—a loner, up against the extraordinary Lennon-McCartney partnership.  But he still managed to pen some *great* songs.  Meanwhile, Paul seems so easygoing, but one senses that in the end, he gets what he wants.  (It’s a good peek into the legendary staid, buttoned-up, formal and well-mannered British sensibility).  And then there’s Ringo—dude seems the epitome of cool. 

Edited by garyh
  • Thank You 2

Listened to Terri Gross interview Paul. Was no surprise, but it kinda stood out how Paul mentioned John and George repeatedly but only once in the interview mentioned Ringo>> "Ringo brought us all together". He was being polite.

"My guess is that they didn't work like they did in this movie prior to Yoko coming on the scene.

They were really under the gun to come up with stuff with all the cameras on them, just taking basic ideas and writing it on the fly."

Steve, the task was virtually impossible based on the timeline and this was not the only time the Beatles had virtually no time to write and learn to play  an album full of hit music which would last for generations.

If anyone has the time and for you conspiracy buffs out there (like me), there is a 600 + page long, great book with tons of details about the Beatles, their songs and much more titled,  The Memoirs of Billy Shears.

It is approached like an autobiography but written by Thomas E. Uharriet.

And think about this before you poo poo the book - how could any book get written which includes Beatles lyrics and stories without copy right violations or lawsuits preventing it from being published?

Edited by Walrus Gumboot

• 4 weeks later...

I watched the whole thing twice.  Damn, I think I missed the John Lennon pocket incident again.  I was concerned that Disney (TM) would realize that they weren't making anywhere near enough profit off of the Get Back special and pull it in favor of a pay-per-view. 

• Community Admin
13 hours ago, chiroacademy said:

Loved it. I watched in 3 consecutive days and wish there was more. I have over 70 Beatles albums (mono, stereo, alternate, different pressings…) have loved the Beatles since I first saw them on Ed Sullivan. 

Hi @chiroacademy Good to see you back, and posting. 

Hope you are doing well, Mike.