New to this site , old Carver fan .

I found this site while trying to find a company / individual who has knowledge in fixing the older cd players from Carver . I have a DTL-200 needing some help . After reading thru quite a few threads here , I realized that upgrades are available to their amps and pre amps as well . Nice . I'm interested in having my mid eighties items upgraded as well as the DTL-200 being fixed . I did see that a mod on here has a few he is willing to sell which I'm totally fine with if they are still available . I'm going into retirement and would love to hear my system once again after being stored for 30+years . My equipment . Amp is a PM 1.5T , Pre amp is a C4000 , Tuner is a TX-11A and as stated the CD player is the DTL-200 . A big thanks in advance for a site and a group keeping Carver equipment up and running . 

Oh , speakers . Polk 12s as mains , Polk whatevers ? as delays . All equipment was purchased at Gordon Miller Music and SoundScape located in Baltimore when I was a youngin . 

• Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 1

Hello Dave, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help. Nice gear! I love the big preamps. I have a modded 4000t in my main system.

Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

• Thank You 1

22 hours ago, Dave in Md. said:

I found this site while trying to find a company / individual who has knowledge in fixing the older cd players from Carver . I have a DTL-200 needing some help . After reading thru quite a few threads here , I realized that upgrades are available to their amps and pre amps as well . Nice . I'm interested in having my mid eighties items upgraded as well as the DTL-200 being fixed . I did see that a mod on here has a few he is willing to sell which I'm totally fine with if they are still available . I'm going into retirement and would love to hear my system once again after being stored for 30+years . My equipment . Amp is a PM 1.5T , Pre amp is a C4000 , Tuner is a TX-11A and as stated the CD player is the DTL-200 . A big thanks in advance for a site and a group keeping Carver equipment up and running . 

Oh , speakers . Polk 12s as mains , Polk whatevers ? as delays . All equipment was purchased at Gordon Miller Music and SoundScape located in Baltimore when I was a youngin . 

I remember Gordon Miller but never shopped there. However I have purchased from Soundscape several times.

You've found a great group of folks here in this forum. Welcome to the site. Nice equipment by the way. There also are some great techs here. I have had 4 M1.0t's upgraded and amazed at the sound quality improvements. 

BTW I'm in Md too. There's a couple of us here.

• Thank You 1

Morning @Maddmaster . Yes , my brother fixed all the guitars going thru Gordon Miller Music when they were in business . Jeff , the owner and I became friends also and I became a regular customer back then . Started off with Harman Kardon receivers and Avid speakers , the regular old Technics casette decks etc . Moved up to the JVC integrated amps and a few JBL speaker systems . When I started making the big bucks ( over $4 an hour ) , I migrated to my Carver equipment . GM was in Towson on Orchard Tree Lane . I worked a job for a few years that took me past Sound Scape ( Cold Spring Lane ) everyday which sold some cool stuff , thus I spread my big bucks out . LOL , it was fun . On to today . I had packed up my Carver gear some 30 years ago . I have some pops and clicks here and there but the system still plays other than the DTL-200 . I'm definately interested in whatever upgrades are available to the amp and pre-amp . I need to either replace the CD player with another working unit or get mine back to the original playing shape . 

Someone above posted about the Polk 12s . Yes , I did search for the perfect sound I was looking for and decided the Polks fit the bill . They were just a sweet sounding compliment to the Carver stuff . They still sound great to this day . I'm in Harford County . A big Thanks to you . 

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 1

I also help run a website for Hobby Machinists and usually spend 12 hrs. minimum  a day on the site . It may take awhile for me to become comfortable navigating my way on here , but I'll learn it . Thanks to all that keep it going , I know for a fact it's not an easy task . 

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

• Community Admin

Welcome @Dave in Md., glad you found us.

On your DTL 200 CD player..., a few thoughts for you...

If it's been stored for 30 years..., it's likely that all it needs is a new belt.  Do a search on the forum, or even on Ebay, for a new belt - that unit takes 2 belts, same size for both.  Easy fix if that is all it is.  Those CD players either die catestrophically, or just belts - most often the latter.

I like the DTL in the stack..., it's a nice cosmetic match.

HOWEVER, it's very old CD technology..., and, well, a modern CD player like an OPPO, or recent panasonic or marantz, with a modern DAC, is going to give you a much richer experience with your other Carver gear..., most here will tell you that upgrading that source unit is worth considering. 

(Full disclosure, I have a DTL-200, for the "look" but also two Oppo's... and use the oppo for listening.)

Welcome, and someday soon, post some pictures of your gear ! We love pictures !

• Thank You 1

3 minutes ago, AndrewJohn said:

Welcome @Dave in Md., glad you found us.

On your DTL 200 CD player..., a few thoughts for you...

If it's been stored for 30 years..., it's likely that all it needs is a new belt.  Do a search on the forum, or even on Ebay, for a new belt - that unit takes 2 belts, same size for both.  Easy fix if that is all it is.  Those CD players either die catestrophically, or just belts - most often the latter.

I like the DTL in the stack..., it's a nice cosmetic match.

HOWEVER, it's very old CD technology..., and, well, a modern CD player like an OPPO, or recent panasonic or marantz, with a modern DAC, is going to give you a much richer experience with your other Carver gear..., most here will tell you that upgrading that source unit is worth considering. 

(Full disclosure, I have a DTL-200, for the "look" but also two Oppo's... and use the oppo for listening.)

Welcome, and someday soon, post some pictures of your gear ! We love pictures !

Fill me in on the oppos please . Is this a brand ? I am only worried about the Time Lens feature on the Carver , do these OPPOs have the same sound as the Carver DTLs ? Thanks for the reply Andrew .

• Thank You 1

• Community Admin
1 hour ago, Dave in Md. said:

I also help run a website for Hobby Machinist

Do Tell, what is the website, what's your handle there?

There are many here on this forum that have past lives, and even current interests in that area...

1 minute ago, AndrewJohn said:

Do Tell, what is the website, what's your handle there?

There are many here on this forum that have past lives, and even current interests in that area...

Not an incentive to join the site or anything and our Mods are free to remove it if necessary per your rules .....................................

Our site is Hobbymachinist.com . I am mmcmdl on the staff . I am a machinist/toolmaker by trade . 44 years and still going at it . 🙂

• Thank You 1

• Community Admin
10 minutes ago, Dave in Md. said:

Fill me in on the oppos please . Is this a brand ? I am only worried about the Time Lens feature on the Carver , do these OPPOs have the same sound as the Carver DTLs ? Thanks for the reply Andrew .

Oppo is a brand.  The no longer make disk players..., and many are very sad that they got out of the business.

Their products are recognized as being able to read just about ANY disk, and they have generally top-of-the-line DACs that create the best result from the bits and bytes on the CD/DVD/SACD/BlueRay, etc disk.

I have some CD's that the DTL-200 will not read..., but the Oppo will.

Models people like"  95, 97, 103, 105, 205..., used, they go for a high price, on Ebay..., but are worth it - with patience, you'll find one at a price to fit your budget..., scour Craigslist, FB marketplace, and other sources...  Oppo also still services them, even though the company now is making Cell Phones.

Regarding "DTL", Carver's Digital time Lens is something that was developed 30+ years ago to soften/improve the early CD's in production that were poorly mastered in launching of CD audio technology...  It was a great invention back then, but really unnecessary with modern CD mastering..., lots of opinion on this..., of course.  But A-B side-by-side comparison of DTL-200 and an OPPO will let your own ears decide.  I never run my DTL-200 with the DTL button engaged - others may have different opinions.  

BTW, when I DO run my DTL-200, I run the output through a Musical Fidelity Tube Buffer, between it and the C-1 preamp.  That treatment I find pleasing.

Good luck on your journey!

• Community Admin
13 minutes ago, Dave in Md. said:

Our site is Hobbymachinist.com .

OK, you will fit right in here !!  

That is a WAY COOL site..., I already shared it with an old time retired toolmaker friend of mine..., he couldn't believe he had not seen it before !!

The project photos and restoration of old machines..., WOW!

Welcome again!

• Thank You 1

Interesting info . Maybe I should re-phrase my question . If buying a CD player today , what is the best available unit out there ? This would be used with the Carver sound system only and not with all the newer stuff the kids deal with . They lost me years back . Budget is not an issue . Retirement is around the corner and just getting back into this after finding a few hundred cds and albums laying around the house . I value my old stereo stuff like my kids , pets and tools , they'll never leave my grasps ! 

• Thank You 1

2 minutes ago, AndrewJohn said:

OK, you will fit right in here !!  

That is a WAY COOL site..., I already shared it with an old time retired toolmaker friend of mine..., he couldn't believe he had not seen it before !!

The project photos and restoration of old machines..., WOW!

Welcome again!

We take great pride in what we do on our site . We are the friendly site and there are no dumb questions as we say . We , like this site , also love pics ! 🙂

• Thank You 1

• Community Admin
2 minutes ago, Dave in Md. said:

Interesting info . Maybe I should re-phrase my question . If buying a CD player today , what is the best available unit out there ?

Check out this recent thread.

Best Oppo replacement - source reviews - TheCarversite!

BTW, your question is a tough one..., it's going to be full of opinion..., and, what matters most is your own ears... 😉 

Save those CD's !! and vinyl.  Prices are going up on that content.  LoL.

• Thank You 1

4 minutes ago, AndrewJohn said:

BTW, your question is a tough one..., it's going to be full of opinion..., and, what matters most is your own ears... 😉 

Loaded question for sure . Somewhat like what's the best lathe to buy ? I deal with that one everyday ! 🤣

• Thank You 1

On 12/28/2021 at 3:22 AM, Sk1Bum said:

Hello Dave, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help. Nice gear! I love the big preamps. I have a modded 4000t in my main system.

Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

giphy.gif

On 12/28/2021 at 3:22 AM, Sk1Bum said:

giphy.gif

I hit the novice status ! I can now post a few pics , now to find out how to post them . 🙂

• Thank You 1

39 minutes ago, Dave in Md. said:

now to find out how to post them .

At the bottom of the post editor is paper clip followed by the text "Drag files here to attach, or choose files... "

You can drag & drop files into that area, or click on the choose files... and that will open up Windows Explorer (or whatever file navigator you use)  and you can navigate to where you have your pictures stored. Click on the one(s) you want. Then they will show up in that area with a + on one of the lower left corner and a trashcan on the lower right corner. Click on the + to insert it into the post and the trashcan to remove it from the area. 

You are limited to about 4mb in total file size for each post. 

Once you've inserted your photos into the post, you can resize it smaller if need be. Double click on the photo, and the resizing editor will pop up.  By smaller, I mean screen size, and not file size.

I hope that helps. 

• Thank You 1

Welcome Dave, where in Maryland are you located?  I’m southwest of the city in the Elkridge area. I’m right near the Howard and Baltimore County lines, very close to Anne Arundel County as well.  I’m 5 minutes from BWI.

Soundscape is still in business.  Another shop called Just Audio also does repairs, other cs members have taken equipment to them for repair.

I have several pairs of old Polks, selling the SDA-1Bs.

If buying new CD player, I would probably buy a transport to go to my DAC.  I have a ladder DAC similar to the Denafrips Aries ii.  I have been looking for used Oppo units, prices have gone insane!

welcome to the site, I hope you stay a while, kick off your shoes, put on some tunes, grab your favorite beverage and enjoy your stay!

Barry

Edited by BarryG
  • Thank You 1