Hi Folks I have a Carver Receiver MXR-150 that I bought new a few years ago--It's been in hibernation for a long time and needs a diaper change or something !

It will power up with the radio //etc display lit up and will switch functions however there are only 1 LED showing in each volume indicator and no output to the speakers no matter what I do. I changed out the Relays and the Toshiba selector IC and the usual charred resistors already. There is only one click on power up so my question is what is the startup routine and how is it done _R/C delay circuit I am guessing ! 

I am thinking it probably needs the power supply capacitors changed out but there is probably a voltage test point or two I can verify  if the switcher supplies are working ?? Also I see references to a cap that should be changed that is located near the radio IC so what are the symptoms if this cap is bad or going bad ?--Thanks in advance for any help

• Thank You 5
  • That Rocks 1

Welcome to the Carversite Jim. I also have the 150 and love it. After reading that the relays click after turning on the receiver and you replaced them, I just want to make sure that you have the jumpers installed in the back of the receiver. And yes on replacing the filter caps during a tuneup. If you can access the manuals yet, all the procedures and bulletins are in there. 

Good luck with the project.

Rob

• Thank You 2

• Community Admin

Welcome @Jim Walter, glad you found us.

That receiver is a mainstay, and loved by many.  Well worth putting  back in shape.

In a bit, you'll be able to post pictures..., we love pictures!

@Rob has experience, as do several others on the site.  Those jumpers will make a difference.  they look like this (circled in red) :

image.thumb.png.f9178853d6d5b558bfa11d3ddab35636.png

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Thank You 2

OK got some tunes happening --turned out the Volume and Fader  pots were reallt crapped up --cleaned them with electronic cleaner spray ( have some deoxit on the way too ) and viola --tunes !  now on to the radio--I sprayed down the tuner IC board good while wiggling the connectors and it seems to do everything but output sound ?  Do those 2 electro caps mentioned as culprits cause no output or is it some other little bugger ?

• Thank You 3

@Jim Walter Have you opened up the bottom and sprayed the 2 switches for the Tape Dubbing and Monitor? Those are the ones with the cables going to the input board. Those 2 switches on the board can cause the output to fizzle and cut out and all kinds of issues because they dont get used. 

If your display is working fine, I would spray those and work them good. It took me 3 or 4 times before mine worked good.

Edited by Rob
  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

• 2 weeks later...

My radio can't seem to find any stations or make any sound to the speakers but it lights up with the station numbers and can manually move up and down the spectrum OK I cleaned the monitor switches and worked them back and fourth with deoxit . I had previously changed out the digital switch IC --any ideas where to go next --oh-- the AMP with AUX in works OK with a blurtooth adapter

• Thank You 1

I downloaded a service manual for a 130 and there is a service bulletin about checking the voltage on 3 ceramic disk caps on the 511 board that sounds like it could fix my problem but the part numbers in the bulletin don't seem to match anything on the parts lists so please help--what value are those caps and what is their part number that would match up on the printed circuit board layout in the service manual ?