NorCal Carver Pal

What a fun site you guys have made here. 

At 16 years old I began saving for my first car by bagging groceries 5 days a week and working for a jeweler doing silver lost-wax casting. Unfortunately for what ever lucky car was going to be my first, I truly heard and felt music for the first time, yes my ear cherry was popped by an HR-772.

Needless to say my first car would have to wait as I ventured alone into the audiophile forrest. The store pulled a new HR-772 and a Techniques 5 disc drawer CD player from the back as I debated a serious speaker conundrum.

I wanted the Boston Acoustics T1030s but my budget took a massive hit from the shockingly priced Monster Cable and replacing all my tapes with CDs. I didn't have enough money left to purchase the Carver power amp so for the first time in my young consumer career I discovered compromising and settling. The HR-772 had 150 wpc and the BA T830 were rated at.... 150 wpc. 

As if it were all recorded, I can clearly recall feeling like a mad scientist bringing life to a machine the world had yet seen as I connected components, routed cords, twist locked cables... it was exhilarating immaging how it would sound. Would windows break, animals flee, neighbors call the police?

For some reason I just sat back and stared at this glossy black representation of all the hours I had worked, time away from friends, missed parties and I knew before I even pressed the remote's power button I had made the right decision. 

I've been accused of hitting clearance sales at the $5.00 word store but I honestly cannot put into words the joy, the pride, the amazement I felt when I heard what had to be the closest any 16 year old had ever come to replicate being center stage at a Zappa concert. 

That system could go from Zappa to Mr. Bungle to Sinatra to Willie Nelson to Metallica to Prince and aside from some struggling with low ends of Metallica's One that I've heard every other car or home system miss, the system impressed me each and every time I hit play. 

That system cost me all of my saving and a few months later, my virginity. 😀

I am looking forward to bring the HR-772 back out. Next week a pair of VR-M90s will be coming home and the search for that elusive power amp continues. I've narrowed it down to a TFM-45 as I think that "tubey" sound might be perfect for all the older music I like but the TFM-55 and M500T Mkii are convoluting my decision. 

Any suggestions or advise?

Edited by ZappaPatton
Embarrassing typo!
  • Thank You 7
  • That Rocks 1

Hello ZappaPatton, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help.

I don't think you'll go wrong with any of your amp choices. I have a few M-500t mkII amps, and they are amazing. I have a few M1.0t mkII opt 002 amps, and they are amazing. I don't have any of the TFM amps, but those that do say they're amazing too. Mostly, it will come down to what works best for you with your speakers and preamp. If you're like many of us, you'll end up with a few different amps too. :D 

Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Sk1Bum said:

Hello ZappaPatton, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help.

I don't think you'll go wrong with any of your amp choices. I have a few M-500t mkII amps, and they are amazing. I have a few M1.0t mkII opt 002 amps, and they are amazing. I don't have any of the TFM amps, but those that do say they're amazing too. Mostly, it will come down to what works best for you with your speakers and preamp. If you're like many of us, you'll end up with a few different amps too. :D 

Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

Thank you, glad to be here!

1 hour ago, Charlie said:

Greetings @ZappaPatton We're glad you found us!!!

Welcome-03.gif

Thank you Charlie,

I somehow developed an emotional and yet logical attachment to my Carver and couldn't understand why I was the only person I knew who had one. 

It's refreshing to learn there are others with this disease... I mean gift.

• Thank You 2

• Community Admin

Weclome @ZappaPatton, glad you found us.

The HR 772 is a nice receiver.   Versatile and you can do a lot with it, configuration-wise.

Start a thread (if you haven't already) on your gear, post a picture and tell the story of how it goes as you put your system back in service!

Welcome.jpg.cfd21f096594f391114084957a4a2b2a.jpg

Welcome to the group, @ZappaPatton!!!  We're glad to have you here!

You certainly had your priorities right at 16!  Sounds like it didn't hurt with the fairer sex, either.  :D

You can't go far wrong with any of the amps you're considering.  😎

Join in the fun, and when you can, we're looking forward to pictures.  ~^

Thank you @Brian_at_HHH,

Are there other characteristic differences between those three amps? All I've read is that the 45 is more tube sounding than the 55 but I haven't been able to find descriptions of how the M500T MkII compares to the 45 & 55.

I've searched all three on this and other sites but haven't found what differentiates them aside from technical stats. 

I honestly can give a comparison of those amps, but what I can tell you is that it depends more on what sounds good to your ears.  The so called "tuby" sound may be great, or perhaps you won't like it.  I have a M1.ot that is designed to have such a sound as well.  I can say it sounds great, and very clean, but having just made the jump to actual tube amps (Crimson 275's< I can say there is a massive, and immediate difference. 

In short, trust your ears - the are what matter, and don't ever be so married to a piece of equipment that you can't decide it isn't doing it for you, and to go with something else.  If you can, try lots of different equipment.

Remember, too, your speakers will have far more effect on your sound, than the amp, etc.  🙂

• That Rocks 1

Funny you mention M1.0T, there is a pair for sale locally. I read they are 200 watts into 8ohm or 1000 watts mono. 

Would 1000 watts mono into the Boston Acoustics VR-M90s (rated for 50-350) be ok if you kept the volume down or is that what heats amps up?

I could later send them to NelionAudio.com and have two 460 watts amps. Nice to have a back up or add more toys.

Thoughts on TFM-45 vs 2 M1.0T

I can tell you that if you let Great at Nelion get their hands on a M1.0t, the end result will be an absolute monster!  I've had that work done to mine, and the results are amazing - well worth it, and easily the match of amps many times the total cost.  

Just make sure your speakers have a bit more power handling capacity then, say 50 watts, or you may find your tweeters in the next county...  😲xD  I know I can easily entertain my neighbors several streets away with mine (and it's indoors, doors and windows closed).  :$😆|-|

BTW, I can't imagine what a pair would be like as monoblocks... though there are some people, here, who can comment on that terrifying situation.  

Yes!

Thank you, just arranged to go pick them up Friday! Hope he doesn't sell em before then.

The ebayer who sold me the BA VR-M90 sent me the wrong phone number after I paid him and hasn't replied in days. 😳

Much appreciated jinx there @kve777Guess I'll be shopping for Tekton Pendragons. Looks like they come in 2, 4 or 8 Ohms. With two M1.0T driving each speaker in mono, do I go with the 4 or 8 Ohm speaker? Or for another $300 the 2 Ohm. Do you have any experience with the $200/ $300 Upgrade Package?

I had a feeling that joining this site could cause monetary shortages. 

• Haha 1

Yup its a slippery slope. You don't see it coming but after hanging around here for a while, you compulsively buy. You will soon yield permanently and completely. Many here, I am afraid are in the terminal stages which will only end with total deafness. 

• Ut Oh 1

• 2 months later...

Zappapatton;

Did you get the Boston Acoustics vr-M90's , and if so your thoughts on them. A rare speaker a bit out of character for BA.

On a whim I ended up with a pair about 6 months ago & am surprised at how good they sound compared to many other speakers I've owned, And/ or listened to.

Currently driving mine with a mxr-150. A musical/ capable combination.

4 hours ago, Boatsnh said:

Zappapatton;

Did you get the Boston Acoustics vr-M90's , and if so your thoughts on them. A rare speaker a bit out of character for BA.

On a whim I ended up with a pair about 6 months ago & am surprised at how good they sound compared to many other speakers I've owned, And/ or listened to.

Currently driving mine with a mxr-150. A musical/ capable combination.

Unfortunately no I didn't.

On the 3 hour drive to pick them up the seller started freaking out that he wanted to cancel the ebay sale, refund the purchase and have me bring cash instead.

About 3/4 of the way there, he canceled the sale, refunded my money then said he would be an hour late and for me to go get cash while I was waiting for him. Seemed like a good time to go home.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for a pair. I would likely mate them with my HR-772 for a garage system. 

• Sad 3