Newbie here, just got a 6200 Receiver, where's the info?

I really like this thing, found it FOR FREE in a TV throwaway bin at my town dump! And it works, too, but I'd like to find a manual for it and it isn't even listed as a model anywhere that I can find, even on THIS site. 

Is it/was it an oddball? Usually you can find SOMETHING in a search for any old weird audio component, but not this one!

Thanks for any help/info/advice!

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

• Community Admin

Welcome to the forum @b-rider!  Glad you found us.  That receiver is very nice, and worth saving.  It will provide great sound.

We have the SERVICE manual in our Manuals Library (menu at the top of the home page of this site).  Many of the Carver Receivers have similar operation, so another operator's manual may give you good guidance.  Or, if you find one on Ebay, please consider scanning it and sharing it here, so the library becomes more complete.   

Just looking quickly, the 6250 manual, here: Carver MXR-6250 owner manual.pdf (thecarversite.com) seems to be very similar.  The big (observable) difference between the 6200 and the 6250 is that the 6200 has only BASS and TREBLE control pots on the faceplate.  While the 6250 has BASS, MIDRANGE and TREBBLE controls.  There could be others - I only took a cursory look. 

Here's the Service Manual location (6250 docs are just below it, off the screen):

image.png.de185da58550ba58c454ef340f581809.png

You can find more info via Google, too.  Try googling this string of keywords: "Carver 6200 Receiver"  A Bunch of links pop, including threads here, on this forum, and on Audio Karma, and few Youtube Videos.

image.thumb.png.d90922d72290d24b1a6031728635f20f.png

• Thank You 1
  • Love this! 1

Welcome b-rider

The Manuals and Specsheets section is an ongoing project, and the Carver Receivers section is still pretty new, and undergoing growing pains. Various members are still finding documents, and gradually they get posted.

One immediate problem is that the 'MXR' designation is misused in a few places and some editing is needed.  This confusion can be blamed largely on the Carver Corp. people at the time – marketing concerns (I guess) caused them to call their model MXR-130, their first receiver, simply “The Carver Receiver”. One looks in vain to find the actual model number on the unit, or in either manual.

As Bob tweaked it to make it more powerful, it became the MXR-150, and finally the MXR-180. This last version topped out at 200 wpc (just barely) and was simply called “The Carver Receiver 2000”. There is no such model as an MXR 2000!

Same problem occurs in the lower-powered model of that day, the MXR-90. It got marketed as “The Carver Receiver 900” (marketing loves to append a zero!). There is no such model as an MXR-900.

And there is no MXR 6250 either!

With the Audio/Video models 6200 and 6250 there is no MXR in front of their names. It seems that their actual model numbers were used, a nice improvement, if true. All the factory information I've seen about either model is already on the forum – just the Service manual for the 6200, [and it shows up in the wrong column; hopefully someone with access will fix that]. Doubtless there were some ECO's, SB's, etc. for these AV models, and that literature always uses the actual model number; maybe one day we'll find some, and know for sure.

RobertR

Edited by RobertR
typo
  • Thank You 2

Thanks, RobertR! THAT was the info I suspected and wanted confirmation of. I looked in the Manuals library here, and apparently completely glossed over the MXR-entries, because my unit does not "say" "MXR". 6200 service manual is a good start, though. 

My next question will be about those output meters, but let me formulate those thoughts first, after hooking it up to a REAL source and set of speakers. I only tested it on the bench with a set of cheezy re-purposed auto box speakers.