Hello from BoatsNH !

I recently found a MXR 150 and a TL 3100 at a local estate sale.  All manuals &  couple of sales brochures on the entire line.  Original owner.

Everything  looks pristine & works with no noise. No hiss, pops, or cut outs.  All lights are 100%. 

They were in a glass enclosed audio cabinet & looked so nice

they had to follow me home.!!

So...time for some Carver Fun.

I remember Carver at TECH HI-FI in Boston years ago & was impressed. 

I moved to South Carolina 3 years ago and in the " downsizing" process of the move I sold off most of my audio gear. Thought I be satisfied with a "KLIPSCH THE 1"  playing music via blue tooth.

As the kids say....NOT!!!

I sold off a Hafler dh200 & 101 preamp I assembled in 1979 that I used to drive a set of Magnepans.  Prior to the Magnepans I had a pair of ESS Amt 1b's.  Great party speakers.😊

The Thorens 160 mk II & Grado cartridge and Nakamichi 3 head cassette deck vanished too. As did a couple of Adcom bits and various odd speakers made by  Advent & infinity.

I did bring down a old Nikko 35 watt rms receiver & a pair of Axiom m3's that I used in a bedroom. I have a onkyo cd player that sounds good & a AURIS blue tooth reciever that works well.

A year ago the Nikko died , replaced it with a Sansui AU-D7 which is a sweet Amp. The Sansui all of the sudden started blowing Main fuses & was replaced by a Emotiva Ta-100.  A not bad little amp & it was " new" and problem free. 

I ought to try to fix the Sansui but don't have the skill sets to do so.

A couple months ago I found a pair of Boston Acoustics MR-90 towers. Like new. Had to buy.  The Emotiva drove them OK but they sounded "thin".

The Carvers makes these speakers come ALIVE!  I like it - my wife likes it (a very good thing). So, I guess I'll play & tweak a bit and keep them.

I probably ought to look at " service" items to keep everything in good shape.

Looks like lots of good info & nice folks on this forum!

Best,

Mike

• Thank You 7
  • That Rocks 1

• Community Admin

Welcome @Boatsnh, glad you found us.  

This IS a good place to hang out.

Excellent story you got, and nice to see Carver pushing those Boston's to the wife's delight.

Many of us have a similar journey, with gear, divesting some/all, then recollecting ... even better!

...any day now, you'll catch the OCCD bug.  

• Thank You 1

Welcome @Boatsnh we are glad you found us !!!  Lots of Great folks here and lots of great info to help you start that OCCD journey.  Best of luck with your return to Carver audio, you are one of the lucky ones that have a wife that "likes it" !!  Look around this site, there's lots of information here and people that will help with almost everything ....  Enjoy !!!

Hello Mike, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help.

It's great to hear that the MRX150 is working out for you. That's a popular receiver here.

Now that you've reached Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

On 3/24/2022 at 7:00 PM, Boatsnh said:

I moved to South Carolina 3 years ago and in the " downsizing" process of the move I sold off most of my audio gear. Thought I be satisfied with a "KLIPSCH THE 1"  playing music via blue tooth.

As the kids say....NOT!!!

Looks like lots of good info & nice folks on this forum!

Best,

Mike

Welcome, Mike, 

What part of SC are you in?  Just curious... I'm right across the river in Savannah, GA.  

Enjoy the CarverSite! 

Charlie 

Welcome.jpg.fb8b2284b4774811d7ee245d4eb277be.jpg

Welcome to the site.  Nice set of finds!  Those should go along with your current collection quite nicely!

Just beware that now you've encountered Carver gear, the perils of OCCD will begin to set in.  There's no cure or escape, so enjoy the ride! :D

Zappapatton,

Nice photo!😉.

Boatsnh. Used to live in NH.

Spent lots of time using, buying & fixing boats.

Another amusement. Kinda like cars, planes, horses, & stereo stuff. 

Mike

• Thank You 2

I have seen a few of those beauties on the lakes of Wisconsin growing up. When they are shiny,  they really shine. Put a big ol' Evinrude or Johnson on one and you got something. Thanks for jogging my memory-havent thought or seen one in decades!!!