Anyone Heard of MB Quart (Home Audio)?

The original German company, not the company bearing the name following purchase by Maxxsonics and subsequent bankruptcy and resurrection by someone else. Prior to 2008, MB Quart manufactured high-quality, home audio, in addition to car stereo, and whose quality was considered to be similar to Canton Designs, another famous German loudspeaker manufacturer. The history lesson is now over...

Following a relative's passing, I was given the task of disposing of his stereo equipment, mostly vintage, but all quality pieces. (I will post the additional pieces, as available, for sale here after they're in my possession and tested.) Among the items was a pair of MB Quart, Quart 2000 loudspeakers (circa 1995), the top of the line, reference (bi-wirable) model, featuring a D'Appolito Array, with a list price at that time of $2,800 USD (see attached)! That was a lot of money in '95! Current Blue Book value is $1,500, according to a dealer I contacted, and include original boxes and packing materials. These speakers have less than 100 hours on them, being replaced shortly after their purchase by a pair of Magnepan MG 3.5s, his ultimate 'dream speakers,' when a pair of the latter became available at an aggressively low price.

I've set up a test system using my Sunfire tube preamp/Carver C-11 preamp/Carver 4000t preamp/ (alternating between them), along with Carver M500/M1.5t amps that I'm alternating. I'm using a Samsung DVD-HD950 Universal Disc Player ($10 from Goodwill, some time back) that plays DVD-A and SACD, along with CD formats, in the test system. Along with commercial titles, I'm also using a test CD of music that I made when I was working with Bob during voicing of the ALS.

Compared to my B&W Matrix 801 Series III, I found the Q2000s (when bi-wired, worse if not) are not quite as honest as the B&Ws (once used as studio monitors at Abbey Road Studios for large, orchestral recordings, the 801 SIII sound bad when listening to poor recordings, revealing every deficiency in detail), but are very musical and engaging, and I couldn't stop listening to them! Subsequently connecting my DIY 'listen to the room' adapter (based on Bob's work, initially at Sunfire, and with his cooperation) in series with the solid-state amplifier outputs, the Q2000s sounded even better! (Anyone who has used the CURRENT OUTPUTs on a Sunfire amplifier is familiar with this technique.) Their LF extension is specified to 28 Hz, and that's likely an honest number, compared to the 19 Hz response of my B&Ws, with the Q2000s reproducing all but the very lowest bass during my listening, occurring in perhaps <5 % of the recordings. On Bela Fleck & the Flecktones' Flight of the Cosmic Hippo, Victor Wooten's bass has the roundness and tone you expect, just a tiny bit less of the 'gut punch' that the 801 SIII provides, while fully capturing the fundamental and harmonics produced by Bela's banjo on the high end. Although rated for amplifiers having 160 - 350 W, and having an input impedance of 4 ohms, the Q2000 appear to be an easy load for most amplifiers, while the B&Ws definitely require an amplifier of at least 200 W/ch and a high current capacity to deliver the goods.

In short, these speakers sound so good, I'll likely keep them, especially since they're somewhat heavy (73 lbs, ea.) and have glass tops on their beautiful, cherry cabinets, which would more than likely get broken in motor shipment. I was not familiar with the sound of these (or any MB Quart models) prior to this exercise, barely familiar with the manufacturer, and then only through the relative that purchased them. Going forward, I'll be swapping them in and out (with my B&W Matrix 801 Series III) in my reference system. If interested in purchasing a similar pair of these rare speakers (I have no connection whatsoever with the seller), I did find a pair available (at this writing) in the Norfolk, VA area for $800. A web search should easily reveal the specifics for anyone interested. I suspect that anyone that listens to these will be as impressed as I am!

I've attached a copy of the original (German) datasheet, with the information translated into English included for ease of digestion. If someone on the forum purchases a pair of Q2000s, I also have the crossover schematic and full parts list available, upon request.

[Edit] Apparently I inadvertently selected Reply to this Topic instead of Start New Topic - Sorry 😞

MB_Quart_Quart-2000_Technical_Data.pdf

Speakers_Pair.jpeg

Edited by MusicLover
Add picture
  • That Rocks 1

I never had the opportunity to audition their home line but I used their automotive line back in the 90's and they were superb. I lucked into a crazy deal - Sound Advice in Tampa received a palette of their 6 1/2" component speakers that were in a warehouse that had a roof leak. The boxes on the top of the palette were water damaged - the rest were stained so the insurance company wrote them off. I bought 4 sets of their highest quality units at the time for $100 each. It seemed crazy because all of the components inside the boxes were wrapped in plastic and suspended in styrofoam packing - nothing got wet. I installed and removed those speakers in 4 different trucks and two cars. I still have them in a box somewhere. The only components I've ever heard that compare were units made by Focal.

I'd love to hear those you have - enjoy !!!

• Thank You 1

I have a pair of MB Quart 280's from the late '80s.  I used them on 18" ht. stands years ago and currently have them on a shelf in my office. They are 2-way, beautiful white with white grilles. Probably 10" wide x 18" ht. I use them for soft background music in my office but used to light them up years ago in our family room. Very high quality German speaker.

Edited by Receiver2000