SDA/450 laser assembly

Hello again, can anyone tell me if the laser assembly for the SD/A450 is available? I would like to have my CD player back in the stand with my other Carver stuff but the players been in it's box for many years since it was diagnosed with a faulty laser.I see ebay has listings for the laser assy for an SD/A400 but I am unsure if this part will fit in my player. Anyone know if the 400 or the 490 laser is the same as the 450?

Thanks in advance

• Thank You 1

• Community Admin

The 450 and 490 are the same.  But, instead of harvesting the laser, and replacing it, much better approach is to find the donor unit on ebay, and harvest the entire transport mechanism.  Why? aligning the laser is more work than just replacing the entire transport, and putting new belts on it.  Laser alignment (noted in the service manual) requires some special skills, tools, laser-meter, and such.  [Remember that a 490t is more highly coveted unit than an SD/A 450..., so don't harvest a transport from a working 490t..., to save a lesser-value 450t.] I've seen SDA 450's on ebay go for $50.  And if mint, just replace the entire CD player.  Lots of options, consider the work and value of each path.  Good luck!

Of course, consider if your current transport might also be serviced.  The entire transport is no longer available (that I have found). So, fixing the unit you have may also be desirable.  Often just a good cleaning, lubrication, and new belts is all it takes.  (I dunno, on your unit, don't know what the issues you are having are...but saving what you got is another path to consider - if at all possible on vintage gear.)

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

Thanks for the information. Your points ,make a lot of sense as there are few repair shops in Canada and of course I would rather have a 490t although they are hard to come by. I also didn't know that the 450 isn't worth that much. My wife liked the calendar song selection feature on the player, combined with the unified CT17 remote. It all worked well but now you have given me food for thought!

• Thank You 2

• Community Admin
17 hours ago, bdc said:

My wife liked the calendar song selection feature on the player

Yes, this is a cool feature.

And, the SD/A 490t also has that feature !