Record Store Day

@Receiver2000 I guess that's me!! At last count I have purchased in the last two weeks 17 vinyl record albums that are all Jazz related. Looking at the link showed me that I'm missing visiting a bunch of store's in my area. I think I might need to rectify that this weekend.

I also dove into the cassette deck realm. I already have two decks but I'm looking at getting one if not two more. Started to stock up on tapes, but I don't think I'm going to approach @MHzTweakergreat stash of product, but Its a start.

• Haha 1

I still have my vinyl stored. I gave an Uncle my Cassette collection (about 200 tapes all cataloged). He got years of enjoyment listening to them and playing them for his friends before he passed. I think good quality blanks are hard to find now.

• That Rocks 2

@ChrisTFM35 @Receiver2000  Got a jump on Record Store Day and ordered some stuff:

Back Home - Dave Brubeck

Dave Brubeck Trio: Live From Vienna 1967

From The Hot Afternoon - Paul Desmond

Four Classic Albums -

Gerry Mulligan Quartet at Storyville

Gerry Mulligan meets Ben Webster

Gerry Mulligan meets Johnny Hodges

Gerry Mulligan - What is there to say

Edited by BobTFM35
  • That Rocks 1

11 minutes ago, BobTFM35 said:

@ChrisTFM35 @Receiver2000  Got a jump on Record Store Day and ordered some stuff:

Back Home - Dave Brubeck

Dave Brubeck Trio: Live From Vienna 1967

From The Hot Afternoon - Paul Desmond

Four Classic Albums -

Gerry Mulligan Quartet at Storyville

Gerry Mulligan meets Ben Webster

Gerry Mulligan meets Johnny Hodges

Gerry Mulligan - What is there to say

That's a good haul! 

• Thank You 1

On 4/20/2022 at 8:59 AM, BobTFM35 said:

I also dove into the cassette deck realm. I already have two decks but I'm looking at getting one if not two more. Started to stock up on tapes, but I don't think I'm going to approach @MHzTweakergreat stash of product, but Its a start.

Actually I probably WOULDN'T encourage anyone to go off the deep end like I did. Parts of the QUEST were fun but I have to say in the end you will end up with a lot of equipment that doesn't get used.

For the moment most of what I own is worth as much or more than I paid for it but the process or selling stuff can be a lot more tedious than buying it was.

New Old Stock tapes have gone rather bonkers. Everyone is a flipper or a collector of unopened tapes. This doesn't leave much room for someone who just wants to record music.

I will probably have to skip Record Store Day this year unfortunately...😪

@MHzTweaker No worries about getting more than what I can use. I only have room for two decks. Of the two that I have now one is moving on so that only leaves room for one. 

I've noticed that when looking at tapes, and I'm also waiting for ATR Magnetics to get in a new stock of 90 min tapes.

1 hour ago, BobTFM35 said:

@MHzTweaker No worries about getting more than what I can use. I only have room for two decks. Of the two that I have now one is moving on so that only leaves room for one. 

I've noticed that when looking at tapes, and I'm also waiting for ATR Magnetics to get in a new stock of 90 min tapes.

90 minute tapes are no longer being made anywhere in the world. They've been phased out. I contacted ATR and they told me. 

• Thank You 1

RSD!

I'm lucky to have friends who own an Indie record store.

Line starts at 5:00 am tomorrow...

Going for "glow in the dark vinyl" this year 😂😝

• Haha 1

RSD today and what was it like for me? The first place that I went to was packed and I could not get in or near any albums. I went to another, and they did not have anything that I wanted. Went to the mall with my wife and spent the rest of the day with her. It was a lot more enjoyable.

Came home and we spent time online looking for stuff.

Was able to get two albums I was looking for and tossed in a bonus.

Dexter Gordon - Clubhouse

Dexter Gordon - Doin' Allright

Bonus - Sonny Rollins - Volume 1 LP (Blue Note 75th Anniversary Reissue Series)

• That Rocks 1

Got the Brubeck Viena 1967 but they didn't have the Bill Evans.  There was quite a steady line, mostly young punks.  Good to see that kind of interest in vinyl. I have another store I can check out tomorrow for the Bill Evans. Run by a long hair,  I am sure that I could probably pick up a nickel bag from him if I wanted. 

Wish you luck today. That was about the cross section of what was in the few stores I went to. Mostly young. 

I will not be going out today as this is a car work day. At lunch my son and I will spin some jazz.

I also have coming today the five albums that I ordered earlier in the week and in that order is Brubeck Live from Vienna 1967!

There is an interesting story behind that Vienna record where the Dave Brubeck Quartet became the Dave Brubeck Trio. 

They became a Trio for the Vienna concert when, after the previous evening's concert in Hamburg, Paul Desmond went out and got loaded and laid and never made his plane to Austria.

While Paul was missed.  Dave, Gene, and Joe's playing was so incredibly  high energy & swinging that they made a record because the three were so good that night.

It is believed that this is the only recording of Dave Brubeck, Eugene Wright & Joe Morello as a Trio.

• Thank You 1

Paul Desmonds absence allowed the others more solos and let Brubeck really come forward. While listening to Brubecks work, I have thought more than once that Desmond overshadowed Brubeck a bit.

I really don't know if words can express my feelings, but I was blown away. The recording made me feel I was there. The energy was present throughout the whole session. 

WOW, fantastic!! 

If I ever need a pick me up I'm playing this baby!!

I'm still jazzed up from that session.

I'm ever so glad I placed that album in my cart.

• That Rocks 1