New to Carver Universe

Hello,

I just finished a month long project of building a White Oak Phase Linear 400. During that time I picked up a stock Carver C-1 as I didn't own a preamp, neither my Dynaco ST-70 or DIY WE91-inspired 300B amp needed one (IMO). While the C-1 is a fine preamp I think mine is overdue for upgrades/recap and I'll be doing the BillD mods in the near future. My other audio perversions include cassette/8-track/reel to reel, idler drive turntables, Gray 108/206 type tonearms, tubes, and big Altecs. Non audio fetishes include garden tractors/small engines/mowers/minibikes, old TVs and radios, Ham radio, reloading, and general automotive mechanic-ing.

• Thank You 7
  • That Rocks 2

• Community Admin

OK !  @mr_rye89!  You found a great place to hang.

Reading your "audio" and "non-audio" fetishes, I think you will fit right in!

Welcome.

I built a WOPL kit for a PL-400 into a Carver Corp C-500 amp.  And it's pretty cool!  One of my favorite amps.  It had to be modded a bit (but the PL-400 is very close to a C-500 (makes sense, the C-500 was the first amp out of Carver Corp, while Bob Carver designed his unique mag power-supply amps that followed.  Kept the revenue going, funding innovation.  The C-500 has another row of transistors over the PL-400.  Other similarities too.  

Welcome to the forum!

• Thank You 1

Pictures? Yeah here's the Rek O Kut, its been in various states of unfinished for more than a decade

DSC_7238.JPG.89842b8786a676a98e1f5f959b3019cd.JPG

And the '42 Philco. 42-380 chassis in a 42-390 cabinet. The new faceplate will be here in a few days...

IMG_1233.thumb.JPG.8ef63dedfe11c740683c380253effbdf.JPG

• That Rocks 2
  • Love this! 2