Subjective, Objective, Mo-Fi. Video.

Ar9Jim

I Think the Mo-Fi arguments are interesting in some ways. 

Mo-Fi made the best sounding records they could today. Do the audiophile complaints about their vinyl being digital, hold water ?

A phono cartridge is an analog device by its nature. 

It seems inconceivable that people assumed the master tape was ran for each copy. Maybe they expect an analog recording of the master tape to be used.  I don't know, I'm not a vinyl guy personally.  

Like the video said, they are remasters, not copies. If Mo-Fi copied the master, people would likely say sound bad. 

Generated lots of clicks. 

Followed any of this? 

• That Rocks 1

28 minutes ago, Ar9Jim said:

Do the audiophile complaints about their vinyl being digital, hold water ?

It seems inconceivable that people assumed the master tape was ran for each copy. Maybe they expect an analog recording of the master tape to be used.

Like the video said, they are remasters, not copies. If Mo-Fi copied the master, people would likely say sound bad. 

Followed any of this? 

There's a thread going over at the Klipsch forum I guess from what I've gathered anyway is that Mo-fi advertised and even marked up the prices on items that were in their own words pure analog. In fact someone has started a class action lawsuit against them for it:

• Thank You 3

I personally don't listen to records and the people I know that do go to thrift shops and such to find original releases or older re-releases. Here's a response from the Mo-fi Prez, he basically says its significantly easier to copy and is higher quality with much lower noise floor:

MoFi President Jim Davis Addresses the Digital LP-Mastering Controversy:

https://mofi.com/blogs/news/mofi-president-jim-davis-addresses-the-digital-lp-mastering-controversy

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

If the album sounds great then it sounds great regardless of whether it came from digital or analog. If there are people out there that MUST HAVE FULL ANALOG, then fine... you do you. I just want the best possible sound that I can get.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

4 minutes ago, ChrisTFM35 said:

My understanding is that Mo-Fi lied about the chain, claiming that some releases were all analog. 

Yeah for some reason people seem to get really upset when lied to about the products they purchase not being what they claim to be especially when talking potentially thousands of dollars. Consumers put a lot of trust and faith in the companies they choose to support with their hard earned money. We get enough lies and BS from our media and political representatives, don't need that seeping into our hobbies too.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

Remember folks, this isn't about the fidelity of the end product, it is simply about the advertised process used to arrive at the end product. This is how the product was advertised, and that, is the consumer expectation.

Edited by 4krow
correcting faulty computer keyboard mistakes
  • Thank You 1

39 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Yeah for some reason people seem to get really upset when lied to about the products they purchase not being what they claim to be especially when talking potentially thousands of dollars. Consumers put a lot of trust and faith in the companies they choose to support with their hard earned money. We get enough lies and BS from our media and political representatives, don't need that seeping into our hobbies too.

Did you buy a 275?

Curious to know if the people objecting to MoFi using digital remasters of analog recordings, also object to or refuse to buy vinyl mastered from original digital recordings?

31 minutes ago, mddawson said:

Curious to know if the people objecting to MoFi using digital remasters of analog recordings, also object to or refuse to buy vinyl mastered from original digital recordings?

From what I've read, they have no issue with that.  The MoFi releases are very expensive and their marketing targeted all analog enthusiasts. 

• Thank You 3

1 hour ago, mddawson said:

I wouldn't object how the recordings are processed as long as the truth be told.

I actually prefer to try and find original albums that were all analog by default. Then of course is finding one in decent shape, a recording that is also decent, with music that you love.  Maybe the equivalent here is when a seller grades their record in M- shape, when in fact it is closer to VG. Not interested. That amounts to the same misleading ad that has been done by Mo-Fi. 

Edited by 4krow
  • Thank You 1

From what I have seen, MoFi never explicitly said they did everything analog. 

As has been noted by them and throughout here, they remastered starting from the original tapes.  The only way they could do that within reason was to take them into the digital realm.

The people who are upset, had their own interpretation of what was going on, and made some, to my mind, very silly, and improper assumptions, and now they are upset that they were wrong.

In the end, does it sound good?  Then it IS good.  Be happy.

• Thank You 3

I've heard the vinyl aficionados trumpet the fact that vinyl is superior because it has never gone through an analog to digital conversion.  I find merit in that argument.  However, when the vinyl has already gone through the A to D and D to A conversions before pressing, I find that argument without merit. 

Listen to and purchase what sounds good to you.  Don't proselytize to me about why your preference is superior to mine. 

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

1 hour ago, ChrisTFM35 said:

69388627_2398576656905839_4405423512571871232_o.jpg

Chris, I couldn't make out the fine print, so I googled the process only to find almost the same picture as you have posted here. Another little twist is that a traditional 3 step process is mentioned, in yet another article. Looks like a correction to me from Mo-Fi. I gotta tell you though in spite of this contention, most of the Mo-Fi stuff is to die for. Did I just say that?

• Thank You 1

@4krow @ChrisTFM35 Greg, same as you I could not make out the fine print. In my interest to find out what this process entailed I came across this link.

MoFi Ultradisc One-Step Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab Limited Edition: Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab Ultradisc One-Step Supervinyl MoFi MFSL (mofi-ultradisc-one-step.blogspot.com)

The small words below each are "Positive" Then "Negative" and so on. The paragraphs above and below the picture describe the process in more detail. I found them very informative.

Prior to this Mofi discussion; when I ventured out to purchase vinyl, it was the artist followed with is it a 180 gr, half speed master, ........

The final result was, did it sound good. I then sat back and enjoyed the music.

• Thank You 2

Bob,

Remember the day when we were just kids, listening to whatever 'equipment' was at our disposal? I didn't really know what Paul Revere and the Raiders sounded like, but I listened with great intent. Following that bit of time allowed to start up the ladder (believe me when I say that I didn't start up the ladder until I crawled to it).

• Haha 2

Mobile Fidelity updated their flow chart:

https://mofi.com/pages/technologies

They also released a statement on social media. Here's a short copy and paste of some important information:

"We apologize for using vague language, allowing false narratives to propagate, and for taking for granted the goodwill and trust our customers place in the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab brand."

The false narrative is they were claiming that their releases, many of which cost over $100 a title, were right from the masters and maintained an all-analog workflow, much like the glory days of the format. 

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

As a result of that I think I'm coming away better informed.

My kid days test bed was equipment like the below picture. I would get a stack of Herb Albert and go to town.

mcQ&pid=ImgRaw&r=0

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

Thank you, @Ar9Jim.  The best line in John's rant is (I think)..., "...High Power, Low Power, Vacuum Tube, Solid State, Single Ended, Push Pull..., there are all manner of amplifier topologies in my little group of amplifiers that I love and that I consider GREAT SOUNDING amplifiers."

His focus is about "Great Sound."

A few more interesting and revealing videos on Devon Turnbull's OJAS..., for those that are following - and yes, I would have loved to drop in on the studio show in NYC referenced.  I'm sure that would have been an experience.  In the Audiophiliac's interview, you can almost sense Devon doing his best not to reveal the character of the "naysayers" that undoubtedly were in the room, and that he encountered..., and, instead, taking a higher-road, and focusing on the sound, and those that valued the experience.

Devon is not afraid to share what he does and is into.  And, he sells kits..., anyone here ever build one?

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

On 8/17/2022 at 1:32 PM, Brian_at_HHH said:

The only way they could do that within reason was to take them into the digital realm.

Agree. Anybody with a little bit of common sense should know that the all-analog days have been over for many years. Technology marches on.

On 8/18/2022 at 12:18 PM, ChrisTFM35 said:

They also released a statement on social media. Here's a short copy and paste of some important information:

"We apologize for using vague language, allowing false narratives to propagate, and for taking for granted the goodwill and trust our customers place in the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab brand."

Before retirement I spent many years in project management and one of the most important things I learned was not to let wrong or inaccurate assumptions go unchallenged.  If they knew this was happening but didn't do anything about it then... its on them.

Nothing kills reputations, team moral or multi-million dollar projects faster than false assumptions.

I've bought and traded a lot of Mo-Fi over the years. They have done some incredible recordings in their time but seeing their reputation waver like this is just sad.

Edited by straylight
  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1