Intro and questions

Hello all … hopefully I’m not violating policies of the site by joining here solely for the purpose of selling a Carver amp.  My name is Bruce, and while I appreciated quality sound “back in the day”, my ears can no longer appreciate the sounds that high end equipment produce.  Truth be told, my father was the real audiophile of the family, and over the years I some nice hand-me-down pieces of his equipment, starting with some of my first stereo system back in the 60s (when he upgraded to some pretty sweet sounding MacIntosh equipment).  My system included a tube amp that was built by someone else from a kit (not Heathkit).  We had bought that amp used when we put together the system.  I still remember that the electronics store from where we bought it had tested the amp, and the graphs they produced clearly showed that it performed up to the current MacIntosh specs, which impressed the heck out of me.  Anyway, either in the late 80s, or maybe the 90s, he gave me his Carver M-500t amp (at that point he was “retired” from his 40 year career and working in a local high-end audio store and was regularly coming home with new equipment … I think he spent most of his sales commissions on upgrades to his personal systems).  For me, the Carver replaced that old tube amp I started with, and the M-500t is still with me today, but hasn’t been used for close to two decades.  Dad’s been gone for a few years, so can’t give me advise on selling this unit, and I ended up here on thecarversite as I was trying to figure out how much an M-500t might be worth.  So my questions are:  Can I sell here?  Do I have to progress to novice to do that?  And if I can’t sell it here, any suggestions of a value range to ask for it on FB Marketplace or the like?  Thanks in advance for your consideration.     Regards, Bruce

• Thank You 1

7 minutes ago, red1mi said:

the M-500t is still with me today, but hasn’t been used for close to two decades.  Dad’s been gone for a few years, so can’t give me advise on selling this unit, and I ended up here on thecarversite as I was trying to figure out how much an M-500t might be worth.  So my questions are:  Can I sell here?  Do I have to progress to novice to do that?  And if I can’t sell it here, any suggestions of a value range to ask for it on FB Marketplace or the like?  Thanks in advance for your consideration.     Regards, Bruce

Not sure about your ability to sell others can chime in on that as to value physical and working condition are going to be big variables also if you have the original box and manual that helps. Clean it up, plug it in and test it, take some pictures and report back if you can. If its clean and works as it should I would think $500 would be a good starting point? 

Thanks … I should have said - it does have the original box; also, I plugged it in, and it lights up and appears as it always did when powered up, and it was working fine the last time it was connected to a system (albeit 15 or more years ago).    Bruce