Using Siggys as Monoblocks

Kappa man

Hey there fellow connoisseurs of the Carvers ! 

So this goes out to the guys that have owned or currently own (two) Sunfire Siggy 600x2 amps and have played around with using them as monoblocks. I'm trying to get familiar with them in this configuration before I hook them up and send my drivers into out space :)

Here is my system so you can get a feel for what I'm working with. It starts with my laptop to TV via HDMI, then 3.5 mm out of TV into the Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp and Polk LSIm-707s with a Sunfire Siggy for each speaker. 

So here are my questions : can the Siggys be bridged to run mono ?  Should I run the "Voltage outs" to highs and "Current outs" to woofers OR are their other ways I should be looking at this wonderful wizardry of watts ? And why.. 

Don't have the amps in question so don't have any experience with them deployed in any of the following configurations.

With that aside, some light reading for this subject can be found in the manuals section of this site. Chapter Two of the User Manual has some very interesting "System Configurations" that can be explored. 

Two configurations look interesting, Parallel Mono and Mono Biwire. Each wiring scheme requires the use of two (2) identical amps, which you already have. I hope that the Polk manual will give guidance for the proper binding post hookup for the high and low frequency signals if the Mono Biwire configuration is used.   

I can only hope that others who have used any of these configurations will chime in to give their viewpoint on this.

Enjoy the adventure.

• Thank You 1

Parallel Mono was just too crazy I wired it and put on some Rush and was smiling ear to ear. I really got lucky I didn't ruin a ribbon. But I had to look at it and decide and I heard distortion when seriously cranked up and the amount of db level was not really that much more than using them how I do which is one 600 amp per speaker with one channel to the bass and the other to the ribbons. As for the voltage vs. current taps that is a personal choice and runs about 50-50 from the people who seem to have tried it. I run on the voltage because I already have some tube action from by Sunfire Tube Pre. And don't need it to soften up the sound. But again it is personal choice.

• Thank You 2

Mr. Bryce ! I always enjoy hearing from you as it seems you've done it all when it comes to Carver gear.  I was thinking the same thing as far as "just" using one Siggy per speaker.  Just for giggles did you notice a huge difference from 1 siggy in comparison to two ?  Also since your on the horn here, I was chatting in another group and the Siggys got brought up in which the content being mentioned really floored me.  The gentleman was stating that sure the Siggys (can put out) 600 but the average RMS hovers right around 200-230 and that reconditioned Adcom 565 monos were far superior !??.. I kinda frowned when I heard that being I assumed we had some of the biggest baddest mamma jammas made, but if those claims are correct then most higher end amps can do that.  

Anyway shoot me your thoughts on thee above, I'm eager to hear back !

• That Rocks 1

Adcoms have there place in the amp world but a pair of amazings can make one cry, unlike the siggy or even the 300. And the Sunfire signature does it's stated power at the stated load. People confuse the Sunfire  2 channel amps with the 5x 200 model. Not worth fighting on the Internet with an expert though....... And 2 signature amps vs. 1 Idid really notice when cranked up. The Bridge thing is something to try just to check it out so you know what it sounds like. I was using 2 of the special thick ribbons so I wasn't scared but I could tell bad things where going to happen and it had distortion so back to my normal way. If I was using 2 speakers with the xovers that where stock with 2 signatures then I would do the power steering thing and just use 1 channel from 1 amp per speaker that always sounded really good. If I had the 300 model Sunfires then I would probably be more tempted to use and run the mono bridged deal for more power. 

And On Carver stuff I only know the things I own or have owned in the past there is a lot of Carver stuff that I do not know.

3 hours ago, cuda said:

Adcoms have there place in the amp world but a pair of amazings can make one cry, unlike the siggy or even the 300. And the Sunfire signature does it's stated power at the stated load. People confuse the Sunfire  2 channel amps with the 5x 200 model. Not worth fighting on the Internet with an expert though....... And 2 signature amps vs. 1 Idid really notice when cranked up. The Bridge thing is something to try just to check it out so you know what it sounds like. I was using 2 of the special thick ribbons so I wasn't scared but I could tell bad things where going to happen and it had distortion so back to my normal way. If I was using 2 speakers with the xovers that where stock with 2 signatures then I would do the power steering thing and just use 1 channel from 1 amp per speaker that always sounded really good. If I had the 300 model Sunfires then I would probably be more tempted to use and run the mono bridged deal for more power. 

What do you mean "a pair of Amazings can make you cry". 

Make the Adcom cry, people always tried to use them to power amazings and at moderate levels they worked but ran to higher levels they could not do it.

Oh the replacement ribbons are thicker in kapton and the traces are thicker as well so they have a 2 ohm resistance  but can handle a lot more power than the original carver ribbons. Ed has them made and replaces them for people. Thats why I was not scared to run the signatures mono on them.