My updated systems.

Ratamahatta

I have not updated my systems for a long time here.  Both are in an unfinished basement side by side and I have to move my right surround speaker when I listen to my 2 ch rig, mild pita. I did try an upstairs room but it was a roughly a 10' cube and despite my best efforts it sounded like crap.  I decided to let my wife have the living room and not put anything besides a small TV in an armoire, plus I don't want to worry about my gear when people come over. 

So anyway the main home theater consists of Quad Z4 mains, Paradigm monitor 7v7 center, it matches the Quads because both the grills are magnetic😉.  Sony STR-DA5700 ES receiver.  Lexicon 225 (aka Bryston 4B ST) amp. Sony DVP S7700 and CDP CA70ES for CD playback. Some cheap @$$ Sony Bluray player and a Roku. Subs are the Parts Express 12" dual passive  500watt  reference kits, I love my DIY projects, they do sound really amazing though. Side surrounds are Boston CR-7 and rear are some Def Tec BP1.2X. Screen is a 110" and projector is an Epson home cenema 2150.  Most of the power wires, ic's and speaker cables are Emotiva. I did finish the wall behind the couch so it would feel a bit more homey. I put a few acoustic panels on the walls and ceiling but not much as the walls are insulated concrete.  It sounds pretty decent now, I might finish the basement one day but not now not knowing if we will stay here in Colorado or not.

Anyway enough of the boring crap, pics

ZGYPBKL.jpgN5tDi5V.jpgQRuFY4v.jpg

• Thank You 2

2.1 channel rig is as follows, well for right now anyway. Sony ES SS M7 mains, Sunfire true architectural subwoofer, totally rebuilt Threshold S/300 series 2 amp, Sony STR DA2ES receiver using as a pre. Sony DVP S770 and CDP CA 70ES for CD playback. Again Emotiva for power cords and IC's.  

nQ60GV9.jpg8R1nYYR.jpg

• Thank You 3

Other gear that sometimes gets substituted in my 2 channel rig, ATI AT1502 amp.  Sunfire dark rosewood True EQ 10", the one I just had to put more sufficient feet on so it does not walk.  Earthquake MKIV 10" but not too often. Parts express Solstice DIY speakers. Zaph SR 71  DIY speakers with custom made cabinets. 

pRvaX5S.jpgzAHVOnx.jpg

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1
  • Love this! 1

I told you guys. A part of me cannot understand how to get this point in my work. beautiful design and workmanship. To some, it is seemingly natural.

Now having said that, do you have favorites among your builds for sound? I keep thinking that I do, and then I hear another.

• Thank You 1

11 minutes ago, 4krow said:

I told you guys. A part of me cannot understand how to get this point in my work. beautiful design and workmanship. To some, it is seemingly natural.

Now having said that, do you have favorites among your builds for sound? I keep thinking that I do, and then I hear another.

Thanks, Some of the other guys DIY work puts mine to shame. I lean towards the Solstice but am pretty sure I have not played them long enough to have them fully broke in yet.  

Well, I am beginning to believe that cabinet building needs to have more 'art' than accuracy in my case. This is not a bad thing either. Even a subtle change in design can make it yours alone. I did this way back when I built furniture. Start with a shaker design and add some lines that are not shaker. You end up with a unique piece that is yours.

Now, you mention about break in. In some cases, with drivers, break in is actually pretty noticeable. In fact, with one driver, I almost put it back in the box to send back! But I gave it a couple of hours and was really surprised how much it changed. It was almost all in the midrange. It went from nasty to yah, I would own this.

This is sort of happening with the present Scan Speak drivers, but not nearly as much.

• Thank You 1

The great thing about DIY is that you can get really high quality for not a lot of money. The bad thing is not to many people will appreciate it and you loose a ton on resale if you can sell it at all. The Quads I got used and the reason the guy got rid of them was because they were too bright. The ribbon tweeters were not broke in yet and they took over 200 hrs to break in. now they are some of the best sounding speakers I have ever heard, especially the top end. 

Edited by Ratamahatta
  • Thank You 1