Hello everyone, I just joined the Carver Site!

Greetings to everyone on the board, my name is Duncan McAllister and I have a small tech shop in downtown Toronto where I do repairs and mods, design-build, et al.  Mainly Marantz, H-K and Lux, but just starting to get into Carver.

My core system revolves around a pair of Luxman M-120A amps, a pair of Marantz Model 1 tube preamps for phono, Dual 1219 and 1249 TTs, a Sansui AU-7900 that I'm using for the main pre, an Altec Lansing 1268 amp, two pairs of DIY speakers and a Martin Logan sub.

Thank you for the opportunity of joining the board, and I'm learning lots already.

Duncan McAllister

Toronto

• Thank You 6
  • That Rocks 1

Welcome Duncan - always nice to have another tech-minded member on board.  I'm sure you've discovered that working on Carver (and Sunfire) gear is quite a bit different that traditional gear.  Don't be afraid to ask when things don't make sense.

Enjoy!

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

image.jpeg.47d15463cec12bacfa02cf1fd83811e5.jpeg

Welcome to the group, Duncan.  It's nice to have another from the area on, here - I'm just a hair to the East of you, in Pickering.

If I'm not mistaken, I think I've come across your name in the past, when looking at techs, etc., but the memory can be a bit foggy, so I won't say that with 1000% certainty.

As others have said, there are definite quirks to looking into much of Carver gear - especially the "Magnet Field" amps.  As long as you go in, informed, you'll be fine.  The nature of how they work will often give you traces that can cause many a tech to freak out at first, but they are perfectly normal.  That said, that's now the full extent of my electronic tech prowess, and I know to keep my grubby paws out from under the covers and well away from soldering irons.  Trust in the techs on the site - they truly know their stuff and they are very very willing to assist and guide.

That having been said, join in, have fun, and take time to enjoy some music!  :D

• Thank You 1

Hello Duncan, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help. I look forward to your input!

Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

• Thank You 1

Wow, thank you ALL for such a warm welcome, eh?  I feel like I've just joined a family (or a cult, ha ha).

To Brian_at_HHH, yes I'm finding the magnetic field amps to be quite challenging.  Is there a good technical theory of operation somewhere?

I serviced three TFM-15CB amps last month without incident.  But I have a TFM-25 that's driving me crazy -- it's been kicking around here for months.

And yes, I've been around:  I'm the inventor of The Bumblebee, (AKA the MSF-60 Dual Motor Speed Fix module, ha ha).

I've retired from my computer career and have taken up electronics again post-Covid.

And AndrewJohn, there were two German guys, both named Klaus, both retired service managers from Dual Noresco Canada. They bought up a lot of the old Dual factory parts stock and continued repairing turntables on their own.

Toronto Klaus has regrettably passed away, but Quebec Klaus is quite alive and well and still does Dual service work at his location in Sorel-Tracy, PQ.  Klaus IS the Dual factory.  He has a lot of the factory tools and test jigs and is able to restore your TT to original factory specs.   He is known as Dualcan on the Vinyl Engine Dual forum.  Hope this helps.

• Community Admin
18 hours ago, Duncan McAllister said:

(or a cult, ha ha)

..yea, maybe..., but we're a "Good Cult!" 😉 

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Haha 1

• Community Admin
18 hours ago, Duncan McAllister said:

He has a lot of the factory tools and test jigs and is able to restore your TT to original factory specs.   He is known as Dualcan on the Vinyl Engine Dual forum.  Hope this helps.

Yes, I've seen that handle.  I'll have to reach out.  I have a DD Dual 721 that would be awesome to have back in service.

thank you, @Duncan McAllister

Edited by AndrewJohn

I think they were called K&K, for Klaus and Klaus. (They would put K&K service stickers under chassis.)  The 721 is his (and my) favourite Dual TT.  He's restoring two of them at the moment. Kind of like a winter hobby for him.

It may be worth the cost of shipment to PQ, as you'll get a brand new deck back, and he's an expert on those fiddly EDS-1000 electronic motors.  I did Dual turntables here in Toronto for a few years, but I don't have the hands for it anymore.  I'm concentrating on just electronics now.  Mainly amps and preamps; circuit boards.