Hello

My story.  Three years ago I got the deal of the century when I  picked a M500t amp and a C1 pre amp at a local thrift shop for $12. I used them to power my other thrift shop find, a set of Magnapan MG 2B. After a couple of good year's I guess it's finally time to pay the piper.  The  Maggie's have developed an aggravating  buzzing noise. ( But that's a problem for a different forum.) And the M500 works when it wants to.  The meter lights come on but sometimes the sound does not play.  My brother in law did a recap on his friends M500 and is willing to help me. Even if the caps are not the issue a full recap of the electrolytics  isn't a bad idea right?  I have  also heard about the MkII upgrade.  Is that DIY-able? If so is there a set of instruction somewhere on line? A parts list?  If we are going to have the hood raised, might as jump in with both feet and go for the gusto right ?

• Thank You 6

Hi Simply,

I believe you found the best thrift shop deal in history. Wow what a find!

M500T and C1 are among the favorites. Both the C1 and the M500T are in need of electrolytic capacitor service. The performance improvement will be very obvious. Leaking caps is more about leaking electrically, than physically leaking electrolyte. They look ok, but they are not. Go that far for sure.

The MKII can be done DIY.. Its not a simple mod. It involves changing all of the output devices and a considerable amount of work beyond a restoration.

Nelion Audio does the MKII routinely. Consider the cost of the parts list alone, vs the cost of Nelion doing the mod complete.

Its been a few years since I did a MKII and the site was updated. There is some info here. Maybe one of the guys who has done one lately can point you to the documentation.

Welcome to TCS.

Jim

Hello Simplyg3, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help.

That's an excellent score, and the BillD mod for the C1 coupled with the mkII mod for the M500t is a great combination. It's one that I used for quite some time. The M500t mkII is still my favorite amplifier for music.

Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif