New Member Here

Hi Everyone,

Been lurking here for the last couple days after being approved just trying to get the lay of the land before introducing myself.  My two big lifelong loves outside my family of course are cycling and pretty much anything audio.  As far back as I can remember I’ve been over the top in these two areas but most of my life a lot of the really nice stuff has been out of my reach.  So with cycling I learned to build and source used parts to fill my addiction at yard sale etc.  The same tactic has been used with the audio equipment and now I can finally get really nice stuff that’s 30-40 yrs old that needs some TLC.  I have been a Carver and Polk fan mostly owning the lower end Polks (4As first then 10Bs) and a couple lower end used Carver pieces (CM-1090 and CT-17) while drooling over the nicer stuff.  I have pretty much always had at least one pair of Polks (and always in my truck) but let the Carver stuff get away from me well at least until this past week.  I will have an M1.5t coming this week from Rod and pretty excited as this is my first Carver piece back in my life for a very long time.  Oh and I also had an entire Pioneer system from back in the Bob Carver days that I let get away from me and I still kick myself for that.  All those beautiful shiny aluminum faces with the wood accents TT, Tuner, Integrated amp, tape deck, speakers with the wood grate on the fronts.  Man that was a beautiful and very heavy system in pristine shape that sounded great.  Picked it all up at a yard sale for $125 and I’d say 8-9 out of 10 condition.  I love the old school equipment and yard sales a lot of times are a treasure trove for this stuff.    

So my current LR HT set up is Onkyo Integra DTR-7.1, Fronts-Polk RTA8TL (Westmassguy crossovers) Center-PSB, Rears-Energy, Blu Ray-Sony, SACD-Pioneer DV-563.

Daughter number 2 just moved out and that bedroom is now my listening room.  😎 Listening room consists of Polk SDA 2B pretty much stock (tweeter upgrade) but pristine condition, center-Paradigm cinema CC, Pre-B&K Ref31 (the 31 has the upgrade), Amp B&K AV1260, Tuner-Denon TU-460, SADC-Marantz-DV8400,TT-Sansui SR-838 (refurbished), Blu Tooth Audioengine B1, TT Pre Little Bear.  I also use AC Infinity fans to keep things nice and cool because I burned up a really nice receiver years ago.  Pretty much everything was yard sale, EBay, Craigslist, Thrift shop, or Polk forum member sourced.  

What music do I listen to pretty much everything but rap but the main genre is classic rock.  I use pretty much all avenues to get the music to my speakers streaming, CD, DVD, SACD, Vinyl, FM.  Some sources sound better than others but I still enjoy all because music is the background of my life.  

Well I guess that’s it for now hopefully I haven’t rambled on too much.  LOL.

By the way the last couple days have been a joy lurking around reading a lot of your posts sometime laughing out loud.  This really reminds me of the Polk forum on the Polk Audio site lot of good guys over there.

Best Regards and I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! 

Chris

• Thank You 9

@Cjcarey39

Welcome to the site. Lurker huh? Sounds like some deviant behavior. You'll fit right in.

There's plenty of enablers here who'll help you fill the all the spare rooms in your home...  so I've heard 🤫 🙄

I use pretty much all avenues to get the music to my speakers...

You forgot one... tape.

115719285_CarverTD-1700newbeltsandidlertirePLAYING.jpg.478235b65bd47f240ecc985aa47913ad.jpg

• Thank You 1

2 hours ago, MHzTweaker said:

@Cjcarey39

Welcome to the site. Lurker huh? Sounds like some deviant behavior. You'll fit right in.

There's plenty of enablers here who'll help you fill the all the spare rooms in your home...  so I've heard 🤫 🙄

You forgot one... tape.

115719285_CarverTD-1700newbeltsandidlertirePLAYING.jpg.478235b65bd47f240ecc985aa47913ad.jpg

I do remember drooling over that very tape deck and yes, I had a lot of cassettes in my day. Currently no tape deck but I may have to change that in the near future if I run across one of these awesome Carver decks.

Hello Chris, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help.

Very nice collection of gear!. 

Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

• Thank You 1