Hello Carver people :) (New member)

New to the site.

I grew up reading Crutchfield catalogs as an early teen and dreaming of "someday" 😀

The thing I loved most in those catalogs was the beautiful Carver separates, especially the amps with the meters. So very pretty and to my eyes.

Three decades later, here I am with enough money to buy them..... and the Carver of old is no more. BAH!!!

No matter, I've been buying the old things. Small collection so far... A C1 (half broken), a TX-11 (doesn't save stored stations), and a PM-600 (that works all the way 😁 ).

I'm wanting to learn how to repair these things, and restore a nice all Carver, dream setup. (or maybe two)

I've got a nice soldering iron and ready to begin learning electronics. 

All the mods people have done over the years, I'd really like to figure out how it all works. I think it's amazing that these can be tweaked and improved. 

I came across this site as I was searching for the current Carver, and after looking at the new tube amps he's doing (wow). 

That super high-end stuff is incredible, but there's still such an attraction to those units I'd read about in the Crutchfield catalog so long ago. 

• Thank You 8

Hello Shogun of Audio, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help. 

I have a BillD modded C1, and it's nothing short of phenomenal. 

Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

Welcome.    Practice your soldering before you tackle the C-1 preamp. The layout is beautiful and the access is easy but the foil is very thin. Download the service manual from this site. Then buy a small audio signal generator and a digital osciscope and a multimeter(all avalable on Amazon) for less than $200 bucks. Get some contact cleaner and clean all the switches. Down load the owners manual too, need it to set up holographic generator. Then buy the billd rebuild kit, before the install practice your soldering you only get one chance to do it right. Take your time, took me 2 days to install the Billd kit, well worth it. Enjoy

Don

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

Welcome aboard. The resources here are exactly what you need. Please take the time to do some in-depth reading here before you start taking stuff apart. That way when you need guidance the techies can get traction with you. There is serious danger inside these black boxes at times so be cautious. Have fun.

Welcome to the site!  OCCD is strong in this one!  

Lots of great info, and wonderful knowledgeable people here.  I came to this site 13 years ago and I’m still here.  I repair the simple things, my first piece I repaired was the c-1  easy access, strait forward layout.  

have fun, kick off your shoes, grab your favorite beverage, relax, it’s time to wake up your neighbors, must of all have fun!

BarryG

• Haha 1