Hello from a new member

Hi all,

I recently was given a non-functional Receiver 2000 (aka MXR-2000?) and found this site in my desire to see it operational. This particular receiver was acquired used sometime in the '90s by a friend who collected hifi equipment and built his own tube amp chassis. It was removed from service several years ago when it seemed to develop the ability to randomly turn on. I've since read that this was most likely due to fluorescent lamps triggering the remote control sensor on the front panel. It was put away for several years and recently was rediscovered when the owner found it and an old Sansui G9700 in his shop attic. Upon plugging the Carver into power it immediately blew the input fuse on the back panel. 

I hope to be able to resurrect this receiver for garage hifi duty but have zero experience in electronics and minimal soldering experience. I've found the service manual on this site for reference should I decide to undertake this work myself. There are still a few hifi service shops in my area (Western Oregon) so I'll contact them for cost estimates as well.

I'm happy to find this site and hopefully I can leverage the knowledge to make this receiver fully operational once again.

thanks,

Mike

• Thank You 6

Hello Mike, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help.

We have a Receiver sub-forum located here. You might begin your search there.

Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

Welcome aboard. Years ago I found this site and started dabbling in electronics. I'm now able to do some repair work and have built a couple preamps with help here. It's quite rewarding. Hang out and have fun. 

It's model number was MXR-180.  If it really was working before storage but now after sitting a long time it pops the fuse, it likely has electrolytic capacitor failure.   You'd need a DMM or volt-ohmeter, and a VARIAC would be useful too, to find what is most likely a shorted part.  But even then, the other caps in there are equally old, and need renewal at this point, so Kevin's advice is most sensible; he knows those receivers probably better than anybody.  It's a lady dog to work on - getting into the folded boards in front will test anybody's vocabulary.

However, when it works,  this unit is very good - more power than anybody else's at that time, cool running, and a very good tuner as well.   But as you have learned, leave the remote unhooked.

RobertR

• Thank You 2