Greetings

Hello fellow Carverites,

I’m a newbie, here to soak in some wisdom. I’m trying to put together a system that I’ll be able to enjoy. I’m starting with a TMF-45 that Nelion is scheduled to update. I’m researching preamps to pair with it. Thanks for sharing your experience.

• Thank You 8

Hi Mike,

Welcome to The Carver Site.

The TFM-45 is a favorite. After Nelion is done, it will be in great shape, leaving your speaker choices always nearly unlimited. 

There are some good preamp threads from the past, and you can always start a new one.

Enjoy!

• Community Admin

Welcome @Mikeh33.  Glad you found us.

This IS the place for a wealth of information..., that' for sure!

Nice amp, good plan (sending it to Nelion)...

I'd get a C-1..., have it BillD modded, and use it as a baseline to compare ANYTHING else you try for a preamp.  Just a suggestion.

Hello Mike, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help.

I'm sure you'll be pleased with your TFM45. Greg does excellent work. As for preamps, a BillD modded C1 like AndrewJohn suggested is an excellent choice.  So is a C11, and a 4000t. I have all three. There is no wrong choice here. My C11 is stock, and it's still an excellent choice. My C1 has had the BillD mods, my 4000t has been upgraded too, and both are capable of holding their own against preamps costing a several times the price. 

Once you get to Novice status, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

Welcome @Mikeh33!

Sounds like you're on the right track with your TFM-45 having it  refreshed by Nelion/Greg.~^

You might consider the C-11 preamp, maybe having Greg install a BillD mod, as it is

black faced like the TFM-45 amp and it is almost identical to the C-1 pre. 

To All,

Thanks for the advice and helpful hints. I was hoping to see more tube pre-amps for sale after the Holidays, but it's been bleak. Trying to be patient and remind myself that this isn't a race.

Cheers!